Featherpad creates non-text files

newbread

Featherpad creates non-text files

#1 Post by newbread »

I have been using MX Linux for a while, and I have noticed a problem. Or at least I don't know where do I make a mistake.
After saving and closing FeatherPad with a file, which contains some youtube links, the file becomes uneditable , a "non-text file".
If I open that file in nano i can see that now some lines begin with "^@^@^@" . After removing them the file is editable again with FeatherPad and if I save the file now it remains editable.

What can I do about this?

skidoo

Re: Featherpad creates non-text files

#2 Post by skidoo »

You featherpad preferences may be configured to expect/save UTF-8 encoded content. Is your web browser (or wherever you copied the urlstrings from) set to use a UTF-16 characterset?

In featherpad toobar, click "Options" and you can check and/or change the "Encodings" settings.

As a troubleshooting step, you might test whether the problem specific to featherpad.
Can you successfully paste the same content then save+reopen in leafpad or pluma or mousepad without the "^@" showing up?

newbread

Re: Featherpad creates non-text files

#3 Post by newbread »

I have copied them from youtube. I can't change the text encoding there (I think because the option is greyed out).

After changing the encoding to utf-16 in featherpad, the text is displayed with random Asian characters. If I change it back the lines which have "^@" in the beginning -when oped with nano- have some "spaces" before them.
If I try to paste the same text into leafpad/mousepad it's like I wouldn't have anything on my clipboard if the "spaces"/"^@" are included, if i try to open an already created file with the problematic text, leafpad/mousepad will not display it.

So the solution is still to open it with nano get "^@" parts out, and then it is readable and editable.

Return to “Software / Configuration”