Midnight Commander no VFS and partial Open support

Ruff

Midnight Commander no VFS and partial Open support

#1 Post by Ruff »

I just installed MX 18, and copied over my config files from my Ubuntu 18.10 installation. Now, before anyone says that's a bad habit, I also tried removing my ~/.mc/ and ~/.config/mc/ directories before trying the following:

VFS doesn't work as it used to. I can't click Enter on a zip-file and wander around in it like a normal filesystem, for example. And 'View' gives me a text viewer, not a file listing.

'Open' seems to do a little what it feels like - it starts mpv on any video file, for example, but it totally ignores image files (for which I use 'xv' - yes, old but good) and does nothing on pdf files.

Any clues on why these two have, like a parrot, ceased to be?

apt-get says "mc is already the newest version (3:4.8.18-1)"

fehlix
Developer

Re: Midnight Commander no VFS and partial Open support

#2 Post by fehlix »

Ruff wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:34 pm I just installed MX 18, and copied over my config files from my Ubuntu 18.10 installation. Now, before anyone says that's a bad habit, I also tried removing my ~/.mc/ and ~/.config/mc/ directories before trying the following:

VFS doesn't work as it used to. I can't click Enter on a zip-file and wander around in it like a normal filesystem, for example. And 'View' gives me a text viewer, not a file listing.
It works on latest LiveISO MX-18.2_x64.iso. and on fresh installed one:
Navigate in zip-archive :
mx-zip.png
View zip-archive:
mc-view-zip.png
So you might have installed or removed or copied over from Ubuntu something which disturbed mc.
Suggest to remove / purge mc and install again. Also whatch the recommends like zip, etc.
:puppy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Ruff

#3 Post by Ruff »

Thanks - removing all traces of mc (apt-get --purge) and then deleting /etc/mc aswell as my own config files, made it work. Yay! ... Now I just have to manually reinsert the parts I want from before. :)

fehlix
Developer

#4 Post by fehlix »

Ruff wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:14 pm Thanks - removing all traces of mc (apt-get --purge) and then deleting /etc/mc aswell as my own config files, made it work. Yay! ... Now I just have to manually reinsert the parts I want from before. :)
Alternativly also add another "fresh" user, and check it's working for the other user. As you might have other interference copied over from Ubuntu, e.g. mime-type settings are also stored within home folders .dot-directories.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Ruff

#5 Post by Ruff »

What eventually worked was removing -all- traces of old configs - it wasn't enough to kill my user-directory ones, I had forgotten about (or not known about) /etc/mc which also needed killed and re-installed. With that, suddenly everything works as it should. So I was halfway there.. I just didn't look in enough places for various configs that got included in mc's startup.

Much thanks for the tip! Also for apt-get pointing out that '/etc/mc not empty so not removed'. Well, we'll just see about that before reinstalling it. Hack, slash!

Return to “Software / Configuration”