Virtualbox 6 dark theme issues

rootetsy

Virtualbox 6 dark theme issues

#1 Post by rootetsy »

I just updated Virtualbox on my system to version 6.0.6 in the test repos and when I did I found that I can barely read the text in the gui now. It's a bright white background with light gray text. Ugh.

I'm using a dark theme and I found that starting Virtualbox like this helps a lot.
VirtualBox --style Fusion

Like that it's still a bright white background but the text is black and readable now. Yay, that's better.

But since I use a dark theme I'm wishing that it wasn't a bright white background. I couldn't find any documentation on the "--style" switch. I suspect Fusion is a QT theme or something anyway. Does anyone know if there is a different theme I can start it with that is a dark theme?

AK-47
Developer

Re: Virtualbox 6 dark theme issues

#2 Post by AK-47 »

Wow, I didn't know about this. Thanks for mentioning this feature, works with 6.0.8 too. It still gives my eyes quite a shock (that's why I use the dark theme in the first place) but at least the text is now readable. :number1:

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

--style gtk

and

--style qt

also work. If you mess around with the second and qt5ct, you can even get it to display in a dark theme.

Did you check out the forum thread for the 6.0.6 update?

Or we have an update to the 5.2.28 release in the experimental repo, which just follows the theme automatically.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Actually, I just sent up 5.2.30 to replace 5.2.28 in the experimental repo. Works fine so far for me.

Gerson

#6 Post by Gerson »

Any solution other than always having to place the command through the terminal when using Virtualbox or Dolphin?
$ VirtualBox --style Fusion
$ dolphin --style Fusion
With --style gtk or --style qt they don't work.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle »

-style gtk and -style qt are not valid options. what happens there is that some default built in style gets used instead.

style gtk2 is the default on MX.

I modified my desktop files (right click in the whisker menu) to always use the -style parameter with misbehaving Qt applications.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

asqwerth
Developer

#8 Post by asqwerth »

Gerson wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:46 am Any solution other than always having to place the command through the terminal when using Virtualbox or Dolphin?
$ VirtualBox --style Fusion
$ dolphin --style Fusion
With --style gtk or --style qt they don't work.
If you right click on the application's menu entry to edit the command in its desktop file, note that this change in the command does not get carried over to PRE-EXISTING launchers you have created for the same app on the panel.

You will have to remove the pre-existing launcher, and add a new launcher for the same app after you change the desktop file entry. The new launcher for your app - dolphin or VB -- will now run with the modified command with the "style" tag. No need to use terminal whatsoever.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#9 Post by JayM »

Re: light font color, viewtopic.php?p=482824#p482824
Re: making VB dark with light fonts: viewtopic.php?p=563131#p563131 (but scroll down and read the replies regarding editing the launcher as you may not actually need Kvantum.)
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

No, you don't need "qt5-style-kvantum" (the package name), but you get a much larger choice of dark or light, or even semidark, (cyan, beige) themes with it. :happy:

Return to “Software / Configuration”