Fdisk - MX18

mxer

Fdisk - MX18

#1 Post by mxer »

Has anyone else experienced problems with fdisk(?), I was trying to reformat an old SATA 160GB drive yesterday, & it kept telling me it was only 4MB in size(!).

So I tried a couple of SSD 64GB drives, known to be good, & it told me that they too were only 4MB in size.

So I went to my AntiX installation, (17.4), & repartitioned the 160GB HDD on there, no problems.

Everything else on my MX18 installs seems to be working OK, so far, so thought this rather odd behaviour for fdisk.
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

Fibogacci

Re: Fdisk - MX18

#2 Post by Fibogacci »

I prefer GParted (it's GUI).

So I did not experience problem with fdisk ;)
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

mxer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:49 am it told me
Can you post the actual command output? That might help illuminate the situation.

FWIW, fdisk(8) works fine in my Debian buster system:

Code: Select all

shinken:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 111.8 GiB, 120034123776 bytes, 234441648 sectors
Disk model: KINGSTON SV300S3
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x286ee55f

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sda1            2048 167774207 167772160   80G a6 OpenBSD
/dev/sda2       167774208 167839744     65537   32M 83 Linux
/dev/sda3       167841792 230756351  62914560   30G 83 Linux
/dev/sda4       230756352 234441647   3685296  1.8G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
shinken:~$
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

mxer

#4 Post by mxer »

Hmm, just tried it with both the SSD I checked yesterday, & it's working fine now, everything I used, I tried yesterday - so must have been one of the updates that I received yesterday must have sorted it out. :whoknows:

Thanks for looking. :anicat:

@ Fibogacci - I'm 'old school', I do most admin tasks via the command line.

Fibogacci

#5 Post by Fibogacci »

mxer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 am Hmm, just tried it with both the SSD I checked yesterday, & it's working fine now, everything I used, I tried yesterday - so must have been one of the updates that I received yesterday must have sorted it out. :whoknows:

Thanks for looking. :anicat:

@ Fibogacci - I'm 'old school', I do most admin tasks via the command line.
I really like command line, it's a real pleasure for me to use it.

But for partitioning I use GParted. So I will try one day fdisk just for learning and for fun. New skill is always welcomed ;)
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

BitJam
Developer

#6 Post by BitJam »

mxer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 am@ Fibogacci - I'm 'old school', I do most admin tasks via the command line.
You may want to give antiX a try someday. We've been working on making the command line more powerful and more fun. On the live system antiX-cli-cc (antiX Command Line Control Centre) is added to the bash history so you can get to it with <up-arrow>. You might be surprised by what is available. For example, cli-aptiX works like Synaptic in many ways but is based on the command line. For the tasks I do most often, I think it is actually easier to use.

Some of it is already in MX. Maybe there is (or could be) an MXPI entry to pull the rest of it in.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

mxer

#7 Post by mxer »

@Fibogacci
Don't stop at looking at fdisk, check out cfdisk too, you may like it better, both good command line tools.

@ BitJam
I've been a regular user of AntiX for several years now, preferring the 'base' version, but recently using 'full', (anti even made me a mod, but not liking the forum software, I don't visit as often as I should).

I have used 'core' a few times, & sometimes keep it around for fun.

But recently I've been having Firefox troubles, on several installations of 'full', it hangs after a few minutes, & I have to shut it down & restart it, then it's OK for my session, So, I thought I'd come & try MX again. Not getting so much trouble with the later version of Firefox used in it, so I might just convert my other machines, as I like to stick with basically just the one distro, & MX will 'keep it in the family'.

(P.S. My tag is 'fatmac' on the other forum.)

BitJam
Developer

#8 Post by BitJam »

mxer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:12 am(P.S. My tag is 'fatmac' on the other forum.)
Hey fatmac! I did not recognize you! Did you report the antiX Firefox problem?

PS: I agree with you that these forums are much easier to use.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

seaken64

#9 Post by seaken64 »

mxer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:12 am @Fibogacci
Don't stop at looking at fdisk, check out cfdisk too, you may like it better, both good command line tools.

@ BitJam
I've been a regular user of AntiX for several years now, preferring the 'base' version, but recently using 'full', (anti even made me a mod, but not liking the forum software, I don't visit as often as I should).

I have used 'core' a few times, & sometimes keep it around for fun.

But recently I've been having Firefox troubles, on several installations of 'full', it hangs after a few minutes, & I have to shut it down & restart it, then it's OK for my session, So, I thought I'd come & try MX again. Not getting so much trouble with the later version of Firefox used in it, so I might just convert my other machines, as I like to stick with basically just the one distro, & MX will 'keep it in the family'.

(P.S. My tag is 'fatmac' on the other forum.)
When I saw the topic I thought "fdisk?, I didn't know that was in MX?" I had used fdisk in DOS for years and cfdisk in linux. But I didn't know we had an fdisk in linux. Learned something new.

I also do not like the antiX forum software. Why can't we use the same software as we have here in the MX forum? I'm ignorant about such things. All I know is that I prefer the MX forum. And there is an antiX section. But we're not supposed to use that section as the antiX forum? I'm not sure how it all relates.

I have been using "Core" recently and staying away from the X. The music software works great. And I learned about several CLI apps from using the cli-aptiX package manager. Good stuff.

I'm a two distro user, antiX and MX. That's because I have a lot of old hardware and MX is best with better equipment. I use antiX for my systems with 1GB or less.

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

mxer

#10 Post by mxer »

BitJam wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:49 pm Hey fatmac! I did not recognize you! Did you report the antiX Firefox problem?

PS: I agree with you that these forums are much easier to use.
Didn't bother reporting it as I think it is Firefox itself, I get the occasional freeze on MX too.
(Just switch to a new tab & delete the locked one.)

Maybe there is a better browser, (Palemoon ?), but I'm just so used to using Firefox.

Return to “Software / Configuration”