Default Conky 12/24 hour

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Default Conky 12/24 hour

#1 Post by chrispop99 »

A Facebook user was perturbed that it wasn't possible to change the default Conky to display the time in 24 hour form. I explained how to do that by a quick code edit, but it made me think that either the default Conky should be changed for one that permits that change from the GUI, or the default code should be changed to permit the clock change from the GUI.

Any thoughts?

(Note for those in the US - the 24 hour format is used almost exclusively in Europe.)

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

manyroads

Re: Default Conky 12/24 hour

#2 Post by manyroads »

chrispop99 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:31 am A Facebook user was perturbed that it wasn't possible to change the default Conky to display the time in 24 hour form. I explained how to do that by a quick code edit, but it made me think that either the default Conky should be changed for one that permits that change from the GUI, or the default code should be changed to permit the clock change from the GUI.

Any thoughts?

(Note for those in the US - the 24 hour format is used almost exclusively in Europe.)

Chris
If you use the conky-manager to modify a Conky (via GUI); then Open the Time tab, the feature you seek is located there. :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Jerry3904
Administrator

#3 Post by Jerry3904 »

I just posted that solution on FB, pointing out that the Wiki describes how to do that in the MX Conky file, and there is a separate Wiki entry for Conky Manager to make it easy to find.

We have converted many conkies to account for the time format automatically, since we are fully aware of its importance across the rest of the world. As always, that work is hampered by limited personnel and time.

Conky Manager > highlight the conky > click on the gear icon > Time tab has the switch.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

GuiGuy

#4 Post by GuiGuy »

Deleted

Jerry3904
Administrator

#5 Post by Jerry3904 »

OK, we found out on Facebook that that time is incorrectly coded (it's not from us). To change it: highlight that conky in Conky Manager, then click on the edit icon (a pencil, by default). The script for that conky will pop up in FeatherPad. Click Search, and type in

%l

change that to

%H

save. Now the time tab will be active, and the format can be switched back and forth. We will make this change in the conky set about to be upgraded.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “Software / Configuration”