Snapshot MX 18.2

sagsaw

Snapshot MX 18.2

#1 Post by sagsaw »

I have installed Persistent Static MX Linux 18.2 ...

both /home and /root ...

/root is about 10gb or more as I have installed a lot of softwares and will continue to do so ...

My question is if I take a snapshot and create snapshot.iso and burn it to another pendrive ...

Will the resultant be a persistant static? I want it to be so because I dont want the entire thing to load in the ram.

This way I will also be able to create my own variants of MX and maybe MX permitting upload it here although it will be one big download for those interested.

I want root to run off the hdd and not entire MX in ram like the default iso does ... hence i want it to be persistent static.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Snapshot MX 18.2

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Once you make a snapshot iso, all the persistence feature you have on the base iso are still available.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

sagsaw

#3 Post by sagsaw »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:39 am Once you make a snapshot iso, all the persistence feature you have on the base iso are still available.
No I mean will it boot as a persistent static which i have configured on my machine or will it boot default and i again have configure or will the entire 10gb load in the ram?

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

sagsaw wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:51 am
dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:39 am Once you make a snapshot iso, all the persistence feature you have on the base iso are still available.
No I mean will it boot as a persistent static which i have configured on my machine or will it boot default and i again have configure or will the entire 10gb load in the ram?
the snapshot, by default, will not have any persistence files at all, so nothing will load into ram excpet file system changes while you are operating, just like the Official Release iso.

So when you set persistence up, just pick "static"from the start and you will be fine.

sagsaw

#5 Post by sagsaw »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:30 am
the snapshot, by default, will not have any persistence files at all, so nothing will load into ram excpet file system changes while you are operating, just like the Official Release iso.

So when you set persistence up, just pick "static"from the start and you will be fine.
Last one ...

Official Release ISO does it or does it not run entirely from RAM? If it does then obviously with a 4gb ram i will be stuck with a 20gb iso snapshot which i intend to create.

Now, after I have set static persistance up and then I take a snapshot and burn it to pendrive then will it not become the system with the persistance static on the pendrive.

Alternatively is it not possible to have snapshot iso in such a way that it will have the persistant /root on the pendrive itself and also the all the boot parameters that i select at boot time in grub also preecnfigured?

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Official Release ISO does it or does it not run entirely from RAM? If it does then obviously with a 4gb ram i will be stuck with a 20gb iso snapshot which i intend to create.
Your 10gb root will tend to be about one third that size in the ISO. How much your data in /home compresses depends on the data type. Movies and music files tend to be already compressed and won't deflate much, if at all. Text, SVG, and database files tend to compress extremely well.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle »

sagsaw wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:38 pm
dolphin_oracle wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:30 am

Last one ...

the linuxfs is not loaded into ram by default (there is a toram option for folks that want that).
Now, after I have set static persistance up and then I take a snapshot and burn it to pendrive then will it not become the system with the persistance static on the pendrive.

Alternatively is it not possible to have snapshot iso in such a way that it will have the persistant /root on the pendrive itself and also the all the boot parameters that i select at boot time in grub also preecnfigured?
the snapshot boot options are reset to the usual defaults. you can add whatever you want and use save option to preserve boot options, even manually added boot codes.

sagsaw

#8 Post by sagsaw »

the snapshot boot options are reset to the usual defaults. you can add whatever you want and use save option to preserve boot options, even manually added boot codes.
[/quote]

Where is the save option? Is it available for the Default Release ISO also?

sagsaw

#9 Post by sagsaw »

Stevo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:03 pm
Your 10gb root will tend to be about one third that size in the ISO. How much your data in /home compresses depends on the data type. Movies and music files tend to be already compressed and won't deflate much, if at all. Text, SVG, and database files tend to compress extremely well.
My aim is more to create a different ISO using snapshot with more preinstalled softwares and different window manager or softwares set etc. etc.

Also, where can I upload such an ISO if that would be considered a way to contribute to MXLinux?

asqwerth
Developer

#10 Post by asqwerth »

sagsaw wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:17 am....
Also, where can I upload such an ISO if that would be considered a way to contribute to MXLinux?
Since this is your own (ie, 3rd party) unofficial spin of MX, you will have to upload the same to your own storage space and location.

You can inform the forum of details of your spin and download location by posting information here:

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=48617
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Software / Configuration”