Music Manager Software other than Clementine/Strawberry

seaken64

Music Manager Software other than Clementine/Strawberry

#1 Post by seaken64 »

Hello MXers.

Has anyone used another music software other than Clementine/Strawberry that comes with MX? I had seen Guayadeque being used on antiX in the past but there is not much on that package here in the forums. I searched "guayadeque" on both this MX forum and the antiX forum. Got nothing at the antiX forum and about half dozen threads here.

I have been using streamtuner2 for internet radio but it has been flakey recently and I am looking for something else. And I thought I would like more of a music manager like Clementine, instead of a directory scraper, but I want it lighter weight and I want to put it on antiX also.

Guayadeque seems like a likely candidate for me. Does anyone here use it regularly? I tried to install it on antiX and it won't automatically add to the menu and I have to start it from the console. There is some permissions issue. And it is crashing when I try to play some of the same feeds I am able to play in streamtuner2 and SMPlayer.

Something else? It has to be lightweight. I like PMRP in antiX but I can't figure out how to add a feed for streaming. That is a text based program so maybe there is a text based config file I need to edit?

I am happy with Clementine on MX when I have a computer that can handle it (usually run MX on at least a 2-core and 2GB RAM). But if I only have 1GB RAM or a Pentium class I use antiX. I would like to learn only one music software if I can, instead of one for MX and a different one for antiX. (I have several old computers and I am setting up a LiveUSB stick that I can use on all of them with both antiX and MX - just in case you were wondering why I want a lightweight system).

Thanks for any suggestions.

Seaken64
Last edited by seaken64 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Music Manager Software other than Clementine/Strawberry

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

when I set one up, I use a mpd (music player dameon) server/client combination. there are several clients, both console and X-gui based. there are even versions for the phones.

short list here: https://www.musicpd.org/clients/
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

zorzi

#3 Post by zorzi »

My favourite one is Quodlibet, very light and tweakable. It's shipped with its intuitive audio tag editor Exfalso.

nathan2423

#4 Post by nathan2423 »

I second Quodlibet, but I also like Sayonara and Gmusicbrowser. Can't seem to settle on one yet because I want one that lets me easily search and embed covers into the file itself, rather than just save a cover to the directory like clementine and some others seem to do. For that I am still using Kid3, but I am thinking that the others listed could do that to if I could figure out how to work them reliably.

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

I have newer versions of quodlibet, plus guayadeque, in my OBS multimedia repo that should be compatible with antiX. Guaydeque is in the main MX repo, current quodlibet 4.2.1 in test repo.

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

I like pragha. I think there's a newer version in Test Repo.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

oops

#7 Post by oops »

I like Lollypop.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

asqwerth
Developer

#8 Post by asqwerth »

oops wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:16 am I like Lollypop.
That is my favourite as well but the OP asked for more lightweight suggestions.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

xali

#9 Post by xali »

i like deadbeef. i tried others but i always come back to deadbeef (i don't know why). You can also easily use deadbeef with conky with the --nowplaying option.

sunrat

#10 Post by sunrat »

seaken64 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:49 pm I am happy with Clementine on MX when I have a computer that can handle it (usually run MX on at least a 2-core and 2MB RAM). But if I only have 1MB RAM or a Pentium class I use antiX.
I assume you mean 1GB RAM, 1MB would barely run 1% of a really light Linux! :D

Clementine is pretty good for music management, but for lightweight I'd recommend Cantata which is a nice mpd client.

DeadBeef is my favourite player which I use every day, but it's not a music collection manager.

Return to “Software / Configuration”