MX Kernel vs Antix Kernel  [Solved]

sagsaw

MX Kernel vs Antix Kernel

#1 Post by sagsaw »

What is the difference between the MX kernel and the Antix Kernel?

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX Kernel vs Antix Kernel

#2 Post by Stevo »

Lots of stuff--if you're not specific about what you're looking for, I'll just say one is based on the upstream Debian kernel and backported by MX, and one is packaged by antiX.

anticapitalista
Developer

#3 Post by anticapitalista »

The antiX kernel is heavily based on siduction kernel.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

figueroa

#4 Post by figueroa »

How is the Debian kernel changed (configuration and patches) by MX devs?

What source the antiX kernel based on? How is that source kernel changed by antiX devs?

Is this documented somewhere to help users who need to try different kernels make better choices?
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

anticapitalista
Developer

#5 Post by anticapitalista »

figueroa wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:50 pm How is the Debian kernel changed (configuration and patches) by MX devs?

What source the antiX kernel based on? How is that source kernel changed by antiX devs?

Is this documented somewhere to help users who need to try different kernels make better choices?
antiX builds its kernel directly from kernel.org ie vanilla.
It adds 5 patches, one being fbcondecor (not used in Debian/MX kernels).
Debian adds lots of patches.

Full list -
debian/version.patch
debian/uname-version-timestamp.patch
debian/iwlwifi-do-not-request-unreleased-firmware.patch
4200_fbcondecor.patch
mt7601u_fix.patch

The config file can be found by downloading the linux-image deb, opening it and the conf file is in /boot.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Stevo
Developer

Re: MX Kernel vs Antix Kernel  [Solved]

#6 Post by Stevo »

If you're running a particular kernel, you can also see its config in /boot. The only change I make to the Debian config is to boost the kernel context switch frequency from 250 Hz to 1000. Antix has the same setting.

Debian has a huge number of patches, too many to list here. If you want, you can download the debian tarball from the repo, extract it, and look in debian/patches, as well as the lengthy changelog folder.

http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/l/linux/

Again, it would probably help if you let us know what you're looking for.

figueroa

#7 Post by figueroa »

anticapitalista wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:00 pm antiX builds its kernel directly from kernel.org ie vanilla.
It adds 5 patches, one being fbcondecor (not used in Debian/MX kernels).
Debian adds lots of patches. (etc)
Thank you -- that's exactly the kind of background information I was looking for.
Andy Figueroa

figueroa

#8 Post by figueroa »

Stevo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:33 pm If you're running a particular kernel, you can also see its config in /boot. The only change I make to the Debian config is to boost the kernel context switch frequency from 250 Hz to 1000. Antix has the same setting.
Again, it would probably help if you let us know what you're looking for.
Between you and anticapitalista, my intellectual curiosity has been satisfied. I build my own kernel's in Gentoo from gentoo-sources, highly tailored to the various hardware I'm using. Just looking for tips of the trade.

I think MX and antiX are doing a fine job. I don't get a lot of random baloney in the kernel logs like I do from Mint.

But, I don' t know what the OP had in mind when he started the thread.
Andy Figueroa

BitJam
Developer

#9 Post by BitJam »

figueroa wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:44 pm I build my own kernel's in Gentoo from gentoo-sources, highly tailored to the various hardware I'm using. Just looking for tips of the trade.
I build kernels from gentoo-sources using the config from the closest antiX kernel. They often work great but sometimes they don't boot.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#10 Post by JayM »

figueroa wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:44 pm But, I don' t know what the OP had in mind when he started the thread.
I'm guessing he or she saw all of the antiX and other kernels in the repos and wondered what the difference was between antiX kernels, the MX/Ubunto kernels and the Liquorix kernels. If you don't know, it can be a bewildering number of choices.

So basically it's this, if I understand correctly:
  • The Ubuntu kernels are based on pre-patched sources from Ubuntu Stable with any further patches needed for MX applied, and their goal is to provide stability, compatibility with a wide variety of computer systems including older ones, and lower power consumption (i.e. laptop batteries)
  • The antiX kernels are based on source obtained directly from kernel.org (Linus Torvalds and his Merry Band of Devs) and patched entirely by the antiX devs, with the same objectives as above
  • The Liquorix kernels are (probably) also based on kernel.org source with the objective of being as fast and low-latency as possible, with the intention of replacing distros' kernels in Linux applications where performance is more critical than stability, low power consumption or support for older hardware, such as in audio/video processing, and perhaps gaming on new hardware.
Patches also include those for known vulnerabilities such as Spectre and Meltdown.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Software / Configuration”