Installing Easy2Boot with Linux

SteveSi

Re: Installing Easy2Boot with Linux

#11 Post by SteveSi »

To avoid compatibility problems with some BIOSes, you should have two primary partitions.
Also, some bad BIOSes boot directly from the PBR of a USB drive, so you should install bootlace to both MBR and PBR

Code: Select all

echo Installing grub4dos to MBR
 sudo chmod +rwx $DIR/bootlace.com
 sudo $DIR/bootlace.com --time-out=0 ${device%?}
 echo Installing grub4dos to PBR
 sudo $DIR/bootlace.com --floppy=1 $device
If you intend to use E2B on a variety of different systems, it is worth doing this - otherwise you may want to fix a different system or boot an OS from your USB drive and find that it won't boot just when you really need it to!

Also, the first E2B partition should not be greater than 128GB because some bad BIOSes cannot access any sector past 128GB so it wont be able to load any ISO past 128GB.

Richard

#12 Post by Richard »

Thanks, SteveSi.
Welcome to the forum.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

crazysquirrel

#13 Post by crazysquirrel »

I think your making it harder than it needs to be...
Yep easy2boot is MUCH harder than a simple GUI.

Accidentally lost far too much stuff when trying to do complicated command line stuff in the past.

Plus I do not want to learn the syntax and such to use command line if I can help it.

Multisystem works just fine for what I need. And NO command line or syntax issues.

Easy2boot - look at all those steps you have to do just to get ONE thing done. And the chance of errors increases with each step you take.

Accidentally put in /sdd instead of /sdf (the one you want) and see what happens to your data.

I tried DD on a flash drive that got messed up somehow. It did NOT work. Did NOT fix the problem. Had 2 go use XP then live versions of linux with gparted to fix the problem then go back into my install to finish the work.

So for me I would rather avoid command line and all those steps like avoiding a root canal.....

Easy2Boot is NOT easy.
I tried it on XP and it didn't work there either. Wrote the ISO but the ISO was not bootable.
Mx 19.2 XFCE, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 8gb ram, WD 500GB NvMe drive (4 lanes) + other storage drives.

Return to “Software / Configuration”