File /etc/machine-id Security and Privancy Concern

crazysquirrel

Re: File /etc/machine-id Security and Privancy Concern

#31 Post by crazysquirrel »

Perhaps hyou might want to look it up yourself as to how portals access your information and computer ID's and such.

Remember, HTML5 is the ENEMY and all modern portals now use that.

Perhaps you could start by going to browserspy then GRC?
Mx 19.2 XFCE, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 8gb ram, WD 500GB NvMe drive (4 lanes) + other storage drives.

figueroa

#32 Post by figueroa »

crazysquirrel wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:24 pm Perhaps hyou might want to look it up yourself as to how portals access your information and computer ID's and such.
Nope, you are the crazysquirrel that made the claim as a broad overarching generalization. Sorry you can't back it up. And, it's OK.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

skidoo

#33 Post by skidoo »

JonDo maybe... but I wouldn't point toward browserspy, nor GRC, as reference reading sites.
@figueroa, FWIW there is some merit to the point(s) mentioned in that most-recent squirrely post.

eff.org article (Aug 2017) How Captive Portals Interfere With Wireless Security and Privacy

a list of links//references Online Privacy Test Resource List (maintained by a longtime fellow wilderssecurity.com participant)

figueroa

#34 Post by figueroa »

skidoo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:59 pm JonDo maybe... but I wouldn't point toward browserspy, nor GRC, as reference reading sites.
@figueroa, FWIW there is some merit to the point(s) mentioned in that most-recent squirrely post.
Thanks for the references. I'm not even certain that's what the OP meant (re: portals). I'm a bit of a security oriented user back to when viruses were passed around on 180K floppy disks. I just think that broad generalizations (as in the squirrely post) are not helpful to users or the overall knowledge base. I've never lived in Missouri, but I like their "show me" attitude.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

crazysquirrel

#35 Post by crazysquirrel »

skidoo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:59 pm JonDo maybe... but I wouldn't point toward browserspy, nor GRC, as reference reading sites.

eff.org article (Aug 2017) How Captive Portals Interfere With Wireless Security and Privacy

a list of links//references Online Privacy Test Resource List (maintained by a longtime fellow wilderssecurity.com participant)
those are mere starting points for the undereducated folks who ask questions

Browserspy is a good place to START as it shows you that weaknesss do exist. And GRC is a great place to obtain more information.

Eventually you will wind up in the deep/dark web to gain more information.

But everyone should start on the easy things first.
Mx 19.2 XFCE, dual boot with XP Media Center Edition 2005, core i5, 8gb ram, WD 500GB NvMe drive (4 lanes) + other storage drives.

crazysquirrel

#36 Post by crazysquirrel »

This causes “untrusted connection” warnings about fake certificates for websites that users otherwise expect to be safe.

Yep I get those occasionally. I click off and do something else.

Usually get them from a public library (they use reverse proxies sometimes).

I also get the Your Windows Defender is (something) and you need to call 888-xxx-xxxx to have us fix it message.
I laugh every time. I use Linux LOLOLOL

But a friend got duped into that and got ripped off. They constantly call them saying for $200 they can fix their problem.
But they switched to linux.

Libraries and such can alter the https but they might not be able to SEE the information depending on the info.

Example would be TOR.

They could alter the https bit then the TOR browser wouldn't work correctly. Or at all.

I do wonder if they are able to tamper with a VPN though.

Many places like Libraries use DPI to snoop. And without your permission too!

crazysquirrel

#37 Post by crazysquirrel »

many times I get the portal login screen.
I use one dedicated browser (iron usually) to log in. Then CLOSE that browser and open a different browser. This minimizes some of the risks.

But security is always a problem no matter what you do.

Btw, those portals can allow THEM into your system. The access is due to browser security vulnerabilities mostly.

Personally I want the nastiest worst virus known to man on my computer so long as my computer is immune to said virus.
That way if I am accessed they will be quite unhappy with the result lol

I knew a white-hat hacker years ago. They used nested firewalls with very nasty custom made malware between the layers.

The internet is like sleeping with a lady who has lots of 'relations' and uses crack. Eventually you WILL catch something.....

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#38 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Mod note: Can you please collect everything in one post? Multiposting like this makes one quickly lose the overview, thanks!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

crazysquirrel

#39 Post by crazysquirrel »

sorry hard to keep track sometimes. Many things are easily interrelated.

crazysquirrel

#40 Post by crazysquirrel »

User avatarfigueroa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
#32 Post by figueroa » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:34 pm
crazysquirrel wrote: ↑Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:24 am
Perhaps hyou might want to look it up yourself as to how portals access your information and computer ID's and such.
Nope, you are the crazysquirrel that made the claim as a broad overarching generalization. Sorry you can't back it up. And, it's OK.

No overreaching anything. Just posting the facts.

Letting ANY company into your system by ANY means makes you vulnerable. Especially when you click 'i agree'.

If you do not want to know then that is ok with me. If you do want to know I sent two suggestions where to get started and where you will end on that quest for information.

For me I use somewhat reasonable measures and do the breadcrumb thing....

Good luck in your quest.

Return to “Software / Configuration”