(Solved) Google drive MX Linux client

michel

(Solved) Google drive MX Linux client

#1 Post by michel »

Hello,
Any sugestions for an easy to install GUI application to be able to use google drive on mx linux?

Thanks,

Michel

NB: is there a better alternative? viewtopic.php?t=46400
Last edited by michel on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

richb
Administrator

Re: Google drive MX Linux client

#2 Post by richb »

I have used insync in the past but it was very slow even with my 100 Mb download speed. Googling shows it is a common problem. While it works flawlessly I cannot recommend it because of the speed. I have also tried grive2 and was dissatisfied for various reasons.
Now I use Dropbox and just sync to to a folder called gdrive on an external USB stick.
So now I answered what not to use I have no answer for what to use.
But here is an article on some choices to use:
https://www.ubuntupit.com/top-12-best-g ... -software/
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

Odrive is supposed to be simple and easy to use: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/02/odr ... nux-client

michel

#4 Post by michel »

Thanks guys, Synching through Drop Box or Mega is agood idea! I have tried using many alternatives. last one was command line and was copying all my computer files to the drive!

I have a fairly fast connection here so maybe isynch might be an option. I will also look at the link and odrive.

Will report back.

Michel

michel

#5 Post by michel »

Thanks a lot Stevo. It works! I googled a whole day and did not come across Odrive!

It is limited in options, but my needs are basic. I keep certain data on drive and just need to be able to access some files when needed on my computer and have them updated if i make changes, that's all and this application seems to do just that.

Might be a good idea to add it to the repositories or make it available to Mx Linux users in one way or another as a lot of people will be needing it I think.

Michel

michel

#6 Post by michel »

I don't want to divert the post, if I need to repost please tell me or I might change the title. Do you guys have a good solution for one drive too? I am now using the web version.

Thanks,

Michel

figueroa

#7 Post by figueroa »

michel wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:25 pm Any sugestions for an easy to install GUI application to be able to use google drive on mx linux?
Are you sure you want to share that tight a connection between your PC and Google, or any other vendor? In the beginning, I thought the whole Drop Box application and synchronizing was cool, but then paranoia set it. Now, I'm more careful between me and the cloud.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

michel

#8 Post by michel »

figueroa, I think the only way to be off the grid is to be off the grid I mean no cell phones, no internet connection, nothing. Otherwise you can be breached, cloud or not. My two cents.

Brigs

#9 Post by Brigs »

Since dropbox hacked and breaching accident user credential few years ago (2012 and 2016 if not forgotten, googling it.) back to think twice to use major cloud service...

the only cloud i'm use is google with helping grive2 cli and sync periodicaly with crontab. i'm not 100% talk google is safe but for sake the file cointainer have encrypted with veracrypt 256bit Kuznyechik key inside the scramble 256bit encfs
MX18 - 4.19.0-16.1-liquorix
i7-2700K@4.3 - Z68V-Pro - RX-560 - 2x8GB D3 - 3x2TB

El-Capitan
i5-760@3.4 - P7P55D-E - XFX 6850B.E - 4x2GB D3 - 500GB

Paul..

#10 Post by Paul.. »

Used insync for many years. Didn't have the same performance issues that @richb reported. Once everything was sync'd the incremental updates had no performance impact.

Slightly OT: I have consulting clients using macOS and G Suite Business from Google that offers the new Drive File Stream which is a non-synch virtual drive approach and it is very slick. Without the complexity of synchronization between client and GDrive, it is like having a local HDD...and all of the problems with synchronization went away. I am hoping that 3rd party outfits like Insync can figure out how to take advantage of the new architecture...or maybe even Google will step up with a File Stream client for Linux (*not holding my breath, however*).

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

Return to “Software / Configuration”