Prime instead of bumblebee

kenar

Prime instead of bumblebee

#1 Post by kenar »

Hi!
I would like to try Prime instead of Bumblebee which comes by default for nvidia in hybrid graphics.

Could you please help to make this change?

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

Re: Prime instead of bumblebee

#2 Post by JayM »

Just uninstall bumblebee, install primus and nvidia-settings from the MX test repository, reboot, and you should see either an Intel (or whatever your onboard video is) or an nVidia icon in the systray. Just click on that (I forget if it's right-click or left-click) and you can toggle the other card to be the default. You have to log out and in for changes to take effect.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

I don't think that works. Debian and MX don't have any nvidia-prime package at all. Primus isn't nvidia-prime, and you would need to switch to the nonglvnd packages anyway to have primus work at all, too.

Are you having trouble with Bumblebee?

JayM
Qualified MX Guide

#4 Post by JayM »

You're right, Stevo, my bad. I got primus confused with prime. It's been a long time since I configured it on my laptop, which now has Windows put back on it so I don't have an example to look at anymore. Primus is just the GL app for testing Prime/Bumblebee, replacing Optirun.
Please read the Forum Rules, How To Ask For Help, How to Break Your System and Don't Break Debian. Always include your full Quick System Info (QSI) with each and every new help request.

Return to “Software / Configuration”