Bitwarden's appimage fails to run

philotux

Re: Bitwarden's appimage fails to run

#11 Post by philotux »

Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:14 am Did you try the flatpak? I'm interested in seeing whether that works for you.
No, I didn't. If I understand flatpaks correctly, they need quite big downloads (as well as installed size on disk) of runtimes which can amount to some GBs only for installing an application which is not more that some MBs. But of course next time you install an application which runs on the same runtime the download size is "normal". So I have been avoiding them but if I decide to install Bitwarden's after all, I'll surely let you know how it works.

I wanted to try the appimage since it won't install on the system and runs like a portable app. Bitwarden has a .deb as well, I might give that a try.

manyroads

#12 Post by manyroads »

philotux wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:18 pm
Jerry3904 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:14 am Did you try the flatpak? I'm interested in seeing whether that works for you.
No, I didn't. If I understand flatpaks correctly, they need quite big downloads (as well as installed size on disk) of runtimes which can amount to some GBs only for installing an application which is not more that some MBs. But of course next time you install an application which runs on the same runtime the download size is "normal". So I have been avoiding them but if I decide to install Bitwarden's after all, I'll surely let you know how it works.

I wanted to try the appimage since it won't install on the system and runs like a portable app. Bitwarden has a .deb as well, I might give that a try.
Are you even sure that Bitwarden is worth the effort? I found it to be nowhere near as good as Keepassx and LastPass. But that's me.... :p
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

philotux

#13 Post by philotux »

manyroads wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:40 pm Are you even sure that Bitwarden is worth the effort? I found it to be nowhere near as good as Keepassx and LastPass. But that's me.... :p
No, not sure at all.
I was just being curious to see how their Linux app works (looks like). I am leaning toward giving up the idea all together now. I am actually quite happy with KeePassXC and it's browser integration.

Stevo
Developer

#14 Post by Stevo »

Both the appimage and their deb version start up on my system, but I have tons of stuff installed for testing packages that I build.

Maybe it would work if you installed nodejs from backports or the testing repo, though.

philotux

#15 Post by philotux »

Stevo wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:28 pm Maybe it would work if you installed nodejs from backports or the testing repo, though.
Installed the test and then the backports versions of nodejs. Bitwarden's appimage won't still start on my system. Running it from the terminal, I get the same error messages as posted before. Dubble clicking on it in thunar, nothing happens. However in both cases, looking at the processes in gnome-system-monitor, I can see some "sleeping" Bitwarden processes and no graphical presence on the screen.

ghostdawg

#16 Post by ghostdawg »

I haven't tried any of the apps, flatpak, appimage etc...but I do run Bitwarden's AddOn with Firefox. I haven't seen any issues, it works for me!

chris1302s

#17 Post by chris1302s »

I've just been trialling MX Linux 19 and also struggled to run the Bitwarden appimage. I've discovered that if you run the appimage file with the --no-sandbox switch it'll work fine. I used the 'create launcher' feature to create a shortcut with the switch to run the app. Hope this helps.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#18 Post by Jerry3904 »

ghostdawg wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:15 pm I haven't tried any of the apps, flatpak, appimage etc...but I do run Bitwarden's AddOn with Firefox. I haven't seen any issues, it works for me!
I use it on Opera, where it also works well.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

philotux

#19 Post by philotux »

chris1302s wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:43 am I've discovered that if you run the appimage file with the --no-sandbox switch it'll work fine.
Thanks for sharing!
I have tried your solution and can confirm that it works fine on my MX 19 as well. I just wonder if there are any caveats running the app with no sandboxing.
ghostdawg wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:15 pm ...but I do run Bitwarden's AddOn with Firefox. I haven't seen any issues, it works for me!
The AddOn works fine for me as well on FF.

Stevo
Developer

#20 Post by Stevo »

It turns out that it was running for me on Liquorix kernels, which do support the sandboxing.

Before installing the latest Liquorix kernel, be sure that you have updated the DKMS drivers that your hardware is using, per the warnings, and removed any that you aren't using.

Return to “Software / Configuration”