News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3.1 release info here

New users[/u
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

<SOLVED> What is the purpose/function of mx-installer in an installed running system?

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

<SOLVED> What is the purpose/function of mx-installer in an installed running system?

Post by philotux » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:54 pm

The other day I had an upgrade for the package mx-installer. Since this is the installer program for installing MX from live media, I thought I wouldn't be needing it. So I ran a simulation of purge to see what other things might also be removed along with it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge mx-installer --autoremove -s
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gazelle-installer-data-mx* grub-efi-amd64-bin* grub-efi-ia32-bin* mx-apps*
  mx-installer*
So I decided not to remove it and went ahead with the upgrade. I don't know what purpose mx-installer has in an installed system and which of the removable packages are vital for the well-functioning of the system.

I would be grateful for some explanation regarding this.

TIA
Last edited by philotux on Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: What is the purpose/function of mx-installer in an installed running system?

Post by fehlix » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:02 pm

philotux wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:54 pm
I would be grateful for some explanation regarding this.
When you do a Snapshot, you would create on iso-file, which you can run and decide to install again,
Hence the mx-installer migth be needed.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What is the purpose/function of mx-installer in an installed running system?

Post by philotux » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:08 pm

fehlix wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:02 pm
When you do a Snapshot, you would create on iso-file, which you can run and decide to install again,
So I can make a snapshot iso from my current system, run the mx-installer from the same system to install on another disk. Is that right?

Edit: Oh no, I misunderstood the whole thing. The mx-installer is needed to be included in the snapshot to be used later when you will be using the snapshot iso to do an installation.
Last edited by philotux on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by fehlix » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:11 pm

philotux wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:08 pm
fehlix wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:02 pm
So I can make a snapshot iso from my current system, run the mx-installer from the same system to install on another disk. Is that right?
Ooops, you didn't know that? That is one big power tool out of the MX/antiX magic tool box :number1:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:12 pm

That's right. You can make a backup of your current system and user, or a respin of MX with your own set of applications for your own distro!

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Adrian » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:17 pm

Those packages get removed because they were installed as a dependency of mx-installer if you think you need them (if for example you boot from efi) you can always reinstall them. mx-apps is a meta-pacakge that depends on the installer so if you install it again it will install the installer too, I would recommend leaving it on the system in case we add other mx-apps it will pull them automatically. I will check with packagers if it makes sense to remove mx-installer dependency from mx-apps. But till then keep it on, it's a good benefit for which you "waste" 1,785 kB, hopefully that won't break your harddrive...

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by philotux » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:18 pm

Sorry guys, let's see if I get it right. Okey, I can make a snapshot iso of my current system with all the configurations etc. Do I need to burn it to a usb and install it on another disk or can I just run the mx-installer from the same running system to install the snapshot iso on another disk?

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Adrian » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:20 pm

philotux wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:18 pm
Sorry guys, let's see if I get it right. Okey, I can make a snapshot iso of my current system with all the configurations etc. Do I need to burn it to a usb and install it on another disk or can I just run the mx-installer from the same running system to install the snapshot iso on another disk?
No, to "burn" the ISO you use "MX Live USB Maker" , or CLI tool live-usb-maker. Snapshot creates the ISO, you burn it with live-usb-maker and then you boot from it, used it as a live environment and if you want install it with mx-installer, hope this clarifies a bit the process.

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by philotux » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:23 pm

Adrian wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:17 pm
Those packages get removed because they were installed as a dependency of mx-installer if you think you need them (if for example you boot from efi) you can always reinstall them. mx-apps is a meta-pacakge that depends on the installer so if you install it again it will install the installer too, I would recommend leaving it on the system in case we add other mx-apps it will pull them automatically. I will check with packagers if it makes sense to remove mx-installer dependency from mx-apps. But till then keep it on, it's a good benefit for which you "waste" 1,785 kB, hopefully that won't break your harddrive...
I am in so dire need of disk space you can't imagine, lol.

Yes, I kind of realized that about dependencies and the meta package checking a bit in Synaptic. So of course I will keep it.
Thanks for the explanation, Adrian! I appreciate it.

philotux
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by philotux » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Adrian wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:20 pm
No, to "burn" the ISO you use "MX Live USB Maker" , or CLI tool live-usb-maker. Snapshot creates the ISO, you burn it with live-usb-maker and then you boot from it, used it as a live environment and if you want install it with mx-installer, hope this clarifies a bit the process.
Sure it does. Thank you!
But I thought maybe there is something I have missed, like taking a shortcut with mx-installer pointing it to the snapshot iso and to another disk for installation and kind of bypassing burning to the usb step. You never know what MX Tools are capable of!

Return to “Software / Configuration”