News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18.1 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3.1 release info here

New users[/u
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Google Earth MX-18 not rendering [Solved]

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Google Earth MX-18 not rendering [Solved]

Post by tascoast » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:35 pm

I have a feeling Google Earth has been updated quite recently and exceeded my graphics hardware limitations, or is at least not communicating with my MX-17-18 Upgraded install. Google Earth (GE) lately opens looking like a badly drawn Wine application, menus looking indistinct and font faces washed out, but importantly GE will not render menu and Earth mapping windows at all.

In my MX-18 install, made following the recent final release, GE draws as expected and offers the tip screen before likewise failing to render the menu and Earth mapping windows.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 v: 2.1 Mesa 18.2.6 
Alert for MX-17-18:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tascoast on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX17/MX-16/antiX17/Mint 19

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Google Earth MX-18 not rendering

Post by Stevo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 pm

It's a known issue that GE 7.2 and above shows the symptoms you describe with the "intel" driver you're using, or the nouveau driver. Since I don't think your hardware supports the "modesetting" driver, the only solution is to find a 7.1.X version of GE or GE Pro out on the web someplace--like in this thread: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... SfGV1pAwAJ

or see if the Windows version runs in Wine.

It doesn't work on my laptop either with intel, but does with modesetting (which has its own glitches), but I have an Optimus system and can run GE Pro with the Nvidia card to work around that bug.

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Google Earth MX-18 not rendering

Post by tascoast » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:34 pm

Stevo wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 pm
It's a known issue that GE 7.2 and above shows the symptoms you describe with the "intel" driver you're using. Since I don't think your hardware supports the "modesetting" driver, the only solution is to find a 7.1.X version of GE or GE Pro out on the web someplace--like in this thread: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... SfGV1pAwAJ

or see if the Windows version runs in Wine.
Thanks Stevo. I'll give Wine a go in MX-17-18 or even MX-16 perhaps since I also find the issue there now.

I have a NVIDIA card but the Lenovo case is a slimer flat version designed for a Monitor so sit upon, for example and unable to accommodate larger cards. I did retrofit a DTV-D Video Mate card by removing the wide slot end brace. Adding the graphics card leads to visions of perspex but I might test the theory temporarily and even hunt for a slimmer cheap graphics card to extend the life of the box.

I have been pondering a cheap Acer type quad core notebook or 14.1inch screen thing at least, with the new modestly sized fangled electrotricky drive with that bloatware menu navigation utility v.10, if only because it is cheap, light, compact, can then use local library wi-fi or android on the go. I have partitioned one similar unit in the past, and would want to create a small data and modest Linux partition for MX-18. Or for same budget price, a HP single core with shared graphics, same 4GB Ram capacity? All food for thought anyway but will try the Wine and retrofitted graphic card routes and report back.

*Edit
Ordered a cheap card on that place:
HD 6450 1GB PCIe DisplayPort / DVI Video Card (Low Profile)
So hope it arrives some time next week. With HDMI and DVI connections to consider I will have some options like getting a second monitor or connecting to 40" TV.

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Google Earth MX-18 not rendering [Solved]

Post by tascoast » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 pm

Just to confirm that GE works fine once I inserted the videocard, which arrived quite promptly all said. I did need to get a digital to VGA adapter, not having a spare cable around to substitute, but all up achieved for the price of half a dozen coffees. :happy:

Edit:
for reference:

Code: Select all

$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Caicos XT [Radeon HD 7470/8470 / R5 235/310 OEM] driver: radeon 
           v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.0-3-amd64 LLVM 7.0.0) 
           v: 3.3 Mesa 18.2.6 

Return to “Software / Configuration”