Steam not working / Uploads not working

Sl8er

Steam not working / Uploads not working

#1 Post by Sl8er »

Hey folks,

New Linux (and, obviously, MX-18) user here.
So, first off, this is the first distro where I felt that it was legitimately good enough to give ol' windows the boot. (With other distro's there was just always "something" missing.)

In any case, to the meat of the issue:

So I installed Steam without any issues. It worked perfectly.
I wanted to install VMware to load Elementary OS into it -with more than 256MB video ram, which is why I opted for VMware instead of VB.

After I finally got it installed and working, steam stopped working. It always came back basically with "Check your internet connection".
I did a speedtest and the upload is screwed. I thought it may be an ISP issue, so I used a different provider...with the same result.
I thought it may be VMware messing with the connections, so I completely removed it. Did the speed test...still kicks out an error when it tries to upload.

I still have Windows 10 installed so I booted into it, loaded up steam with zero issues and did a speed test -also with zero issues. (So we can safely conclude that it's definitely not a connection issue.)

I booted back into MX-18 and the "steam and speed test" issue persist.

I had Gufw Firewall enabled, I made rules for steam, I disabled it, removed it, reinstalled it, etc, etc...the issue persists.

I also have to add that I have TeamViewer installed, which takes forever to connect -so I'm assuming that also has to do with this "upload" issue.

So!
Does anyone have any idea what I'm dealing with here? Any suggestions? If you need more information on what's installed or anything like that, please let me know and I'll provide whatever I can.

I really, really want this to work.
I don't want to go back to Windows...so...someone, please help a noob out! :crossfingers:

(Thanking you in advance)

manyroads

Re: Steam not working / Uploads not working

#2 Post by manyroads »

Please place the results of MX Tools- Quick System Info here to help people understand what your platform looks like.

I seriously doubt if there's a big of people here using VMware. Why pray tell does elementary need such a monstrous amount of video mem? (Never mind the requirement just seems weird.)
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Michael-IDA

#3 Post by Michael-IDA »

This is probably not the answer. But might solve someone else with almost the same symptoms...

I’ve had the house router that connects to the Internet have the same symptoms. Downloads fine, uploads zip. The router needed a BIOS update and then everything went back to normal.
MX-19, Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE)
NIH Cancer Study: The group supplemented with both vitamins and fenbendazole exhibited significant (P = 0.009) inhibition of tumor growth.

Sl8er

#4 Post by Sl8er »

manyroads wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:44 am Please place the results of MX Tools- Quick System Info here to help people understand what your platform looks like.

I seriously doubt if there's a big of people here using VMware. Why pray tell does elementary need such a monstrous amount of video mem? (Never mind the requirement just seems weird.)
Apologies for not replying sooner! (I thought I'd be notified when I got a reply, but apparently not. My mistake.)
(WRT E-OS and video ram...I don't know why I need more, haha! 1GB of video ram just seems "right" -I'm obviously making up excuses, because I really don't have a reason :happy: )

System: Host: MX-18 Kernel: 4.19.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: MX-18.1_x64 Continuum Dec 20 2018
base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Machine: Type: Desktop Mobo: Micro-Star model: X470 GAMING PLUS (MS-7B79) v: 2.0
serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: A.30 date: 04/23/2018
CPU: Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ rev: 2
L2 cache: 3072 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 86387
Speed: 2482 MHz min/max: 2200/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2134 2: 2133 3: 2199
4: 2200 5: 3161 6: 3162 7: 2133 8: 2133 9: 2199 10: 2199 11: 2199 12: 2192
Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia v: 390.87
bus ID: 1d:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: nvidia resolution: 2560x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.87
direct render: Yes
Audio: Device-1: NVIDIA GP104 High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 1d:00.1
Device-2: AMD vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 1f:00.3
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-1-amd64
Network: Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 18:00.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: Local Storage: total: 951.10 GiB used: 555.71 GiB (58.4%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WDS240G2G0B-00EPW0 size: 223.58 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Transcend model: TS256GSSD370 size: 238.47 GiB
ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Crucial model: CT525MX300SSD1 size: 489.05 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 231.73 GiB used: 77.18 GiB (33.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 256 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb2
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 44.2 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 49 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 0%
Repos: Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
1: deb https://ftp.saix.net/pub/linux/distribu ... ix/stretch stretch main
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
1: deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
1: deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:hawkeye116477:waterfox.list
1: deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ntu_16.04/ /
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mx.list
1: deb https://ftp.saix.net/pub/linux/distribu ... x/mx/repo/ stretch main non-free
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list
1: deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free #Opera Browser (final releases)
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/teamviewer.list
1: deb http://linux.teamviewer.com/deb stable main
No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/waterfox.list
1: deb https://dl.bintray.com/hawkeye116477/waterfox-deb release main
Info: Processes: 315 Uptime: 1d 11m Memory: 15.68 GiB used: 8.34 GiB (53.2%) Init: SysVinit
runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.29

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

I think you get post notifications if you "subscribe" to the post, otherwise you don't get it by default. Or it might be a setting in your profile that you need to tick (not sure I don't need that).

As for the issue, I want to understand something, if you boot MX live, the original release do you have the same problem? So the question becomes, is this a "MX" problem or it's a setting that was screwed up somehow later on?

Sl8er

#6 Post by Sl8er »

Adrian wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:57 am I think you get post notifications if you "subscribe" to the post, otherwise you don't get it by default. Or it might be a setting in your profile that you need to tick (not sure I don't need that).

As for the issue, I want to understand something, if you boot MX live, the original release do you have the same problem? So the question becomes, is this a "MX" problem or it's a setting that was screwed up somehow later on?
Thanks for the tip.

I'll boot into MX live and give it a shot -assuming that I can install steam when live.

v3g4n

#7 Post by v3g4n »

I would see if you have the network issues while running live also because that may be root of the steam issue. If the network issues are not there while running live then I'm guessing it may have something to do with your firewall rules you created. By the way, what were they?

Sl8er

#8 Post by Sl8er »

Adrian wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:57 am I think you get post notifications if you "subscribe" to the post, otherwise you don't get it by default. Or it might be a setting in your profile that you need to tick (not sure I don't need that).

Alrighty!
So I booted into the live USB, installed Steam and..."Steam could not connect, etc, etc, etc...."

Booted into Win 10 and...steam starts up as it should :frown:

Sl8er

#9 Post by Sl8er »

v3g4n wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:33 pm I would see if you have the network issues while running live also because that may be root of the steam issue. If the network issues are not there while running live then I'm guessing it may have something to do with your firewall rules you created. By the way, what were they?
I added the "Allow Steam both ways" in the firewall and after that didn't work, I just disabled it completely. (For the time being, at least.)
I don't have any physical network issues -as in faulty hardware- because everything else works just fine (here in MX, as well as Win 10).

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#10 Post by dolphin_oracle »

do you have a previously existing ~/.local/share/Steam folder? I'm thinking that maybe its looking for a network connection that is not longer present.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “Software / Configuration”