Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Atom editor

bigbenaugust

Re: Atom editor

#11 Post by bigbenaugust »

Of course you shouldn't install any random piece of junk deb from the interwebs. But in this case, Atom comes from GitHub themselves. Slack is another one where I just get the official deb, do the install, and get on to real work.
--Ben

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

Skiddoo, us packagers would welcome any help we can get if you feel we should bundle every single Electron application out there into deb packages for our repo. You don't really need a powerful machine or virtual machines/pbuilder/sbuilder to do both 64-bit and 32-bit debs, since you're not compiling anything. You could even use this abandoned PPA as a template: https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/atom

We don't know how to make an Electron app from source either, so you're still trusting the developer either way.

Stevo
Developer

#13 Post by Stevo »

That PPA was abandoned because Github set up their own Atom Debian and Ubuntu repositories. It doesn't look too hard to set up yourself, or you could ask dolphin_oracle to add it to the Package Installer.

https://flight-manual.atom.io/getting-s ... form-linux

Buck Fankers

#14 Post by Buck Fankers »

Adrian wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:02 am So if you install a deb and nothing gets removed and you don't overwrite any file (it would prompt you and you'd have to use --force-overwrite) then it can't really break your system
Good to know, thanks!

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

Github's repo is being added to the Package Installer, but that might disable the repo after the install, so no automatic updates...let me check if it can be left enabled.

zephyr707

#16 Post by zephyr707 »

Looking for an alternate to sublime, I did not find atom in synaptic, but it was in MXPI, is that as expected?

There was also a flatpak version in MXPI, which probably has its own pros/cons. The flatpak version just said "stable." Is there a way to query the actual version in the GUI?

What is the currrently recommended way to install atom? I did it through MXPI and it seems to be working, albeit it seems very large (>500mb).

thanks!
Z

Stevo
Developer

#17 Post by Stevo »

You must have installed the flatpak. The deb is less than 10% of that size.

I thought that the preceding posts show why it's not in the standard repos, and so not in Synaptic. You can add Githubs Atom repo if you want it to appear there.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#18 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Stevo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:10 pm You must have installed the flatpak. The deb is less than 10% of that size.

I thought that the preceding posts show why it's not in the standard repos, and so not in Synaptic. You can add Githubs Atom repo if you want it to appear there.
there is an automated install routine for atom (from the developers repo) in the Mx-Packageinstaller Popular Apps Tab, under Development.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

vancouver

#19 Post by vancouver »

A quick recommendation.
As a gfx/web designer, I sometimes need certain packages that might mess things up and so I suggest to use Timeshift (make a snapshot before you "experiment") just to be on the safe side.
If things to sideways, then it's just a lesson learned. Anyway, all of this is now solved because Atom and Visual Studio OSS is in the repos. :)
Creative Children Compose Music https://www.littlecomposers.com

Return to “Software / Configuration”