News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-18 Final release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.3 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Nomachine - used to be in MX17 not in MX18 - is it still a good app?

plzd
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Nomachine - used to be in MX17 not in MX18 - is it still a good app?

Post by plzd » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:01 pm

Just was wondering if Nomachine was not included in MX18 for a specific reason or??? Since installing MX18 I've downloaded/installed .deb file from their site to use, but just thought to ask here if there is any security or other reason that I shouldn't be using it that any of you folks know of... Thanks
Dell E6220 i7 2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz Intel Sandybridge Mobile 8GB Ram 128GB SSD - 23" Acer G235h Monitor

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Nomachine - used to be in MX17 not in MX18 - is it still a good app?

Post by BitJam » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:16 pm

Take a look at their license:
Distribution: Redistribution of Software developed by NoMachine is strictly forbidden without written permission by NoMachine.
This doesn't mean there are no security issues but it does mean we are not allowed to include it.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 pm

I actually removed it from mx-mx-packageinstaller -> popular apps because the app does not uninstall cleanly. They still provIDE the debs at there website for those that want it.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

figueroa
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by figueroa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 am

If you are able, use the open source x2go from https://wiki.x2go.org/.
It installs and runs cleanly and I use it almost daily in a production environment to support remote Linux desktop computers. It works perfectly with LXDE, XFCE, and Mate remote desktops (and is able to be used on many other desktop GUIs with a tweak or two, as noted). You can see the limitations on the following page: https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:de-compat

In my opinion, Nomachine has gotten too heavy and too proprietary. I'm thankful for the development they did in the past, some of which has been released to the open source community and is used by x2go.

The x2go website's Debian instructions (and Ubuntu instructions for Ubuntu-based distributions) have worked flawlessly for me. I also run x2go client and servers under Gentoo.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

plzd
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by plzd » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:21 am

BitJam wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:16 pm
Distribution: Redistribution of Software developed by NoMachine is strictly forbidden without written permission by NoMachine.
This doesn't mean there are no security issues but it does mean we are not allowed to include it.

OK. Thanks.

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 pm
I actually removed it from mx-mx-packageinstaller -> popular apps because the app does not uninstall cleanly. They still provIDE the debs at there website for those that want it.
OK. So I guess its not like I need to drop it (my .deb/gdebi install) like a hot rock then.

Now it makes me wonder if it will clean uninstall from my .deb install?

Thank you Dolphin.

figueroa wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 am
It installs and runs cleanly and I use it almost daily in a production environment to support remote Linux desktop computers. It works perfectly with LXDE, XFCE, and Mate remote desktops (and is able to be used on many other desktop GUIs with a tweak or two, as noted). You can see the limitations on the following page: https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:de-compat

In my opinion, Nomachine has gotten too heavy and too proprietary. I'm thankful for the development they did in the past, some of which has been released to the open source community and is used by x2go.

The x2go website's Debian instructions (and Ubuntu instructions for Ubuntu-based distributions) have worked flawlessly for me. I also run x2go client and servers under Gentoo.
I will have to look into this x2go.

Thanks much for suggesting alternative.
Dell E6220 i7 2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz Intel Sandybridge Mobile 8GB Ram 128GB SSD - 23" Acer G235h Monitor

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Post by chrispop99 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:42 am

I used NoMachine for a while to administer a Raspberry Pi torrent machine on my network. It was frightfully slow, even considering how slow the Raspberry Pi's networking is.

I'm using VNC Viewer now; it's a lot faster.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by dolphin_oracle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:29 am

plzd wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:21 am
BitJam wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:16 pm

OK. Thanks.

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:20 pm
OK. So I guess its not like I need to drop it (my .deb/gdebi install) like a hot rock then.

Now it makes me wonder if it will clean uninstall from my .deb install?

Thank you Dolphin.

figueroa wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 am

I will have to look into this x2go.

Thanks much for suggesting alternative.

The routine in MXPI just downloaded the Deb and installed it. It should be identical to what you have now.

As BJ says, hosting it is against their license so we just facilitated the download.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-18
lenovo s21e - MX-18, antiX-17.3.1 (live-USB)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

figueroa
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by figueroa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 am

plzd, if I didn't have to administer other people's GUI desktops to set them up or fix them when they break them, I would only use ssh for remote access. I was reluctant at first to change from nxserver/nxclient (who likes change?) and have also happily used many VNC tools as well, but, as you can tell, x2go rocks my boat.
Andy Figueroa
Using Unix from 1984; GNU/Linux from 1993

plzd
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by plzd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:32 pm

chrispop99 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:42 am

I'm using VNC Viewer now; it's a lot faster.

Chris
Thanks for the info Chris.
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:29 am
The routine in MXPI just downloaded the Deb and installed it. It should be identical to what you have now.

As BJ says, hosting it is against their license so we just facilitated the download.

Got it. Thanks again DO.

figueroa wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 am
plzd, if I didn't have to administer other people's GUI desktops to set them up or fix them when they break them, I would only use ssh for remote access. I was reluctant at first to change from nxserver/nxclient (who likes change?) and have also happily used many VNC tools as well, but, as you can tell, x2go rocks my boat.

Thanks Figueroa. Yah, GUI is what I need in this case, and its just as well seeing that I'm about as ssh smart as I look ... :frown: :happy:

Return to “Software / Configuration”