Welcome!

The kernel problem with recent updates has been solved. Find the solution here

Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

dual boot mxlinux and windows 10

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 4625
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: dual boot mxlinux and windows 10

#11

Post by fehlix » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:37 am

nowwhat wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:22 am
j2mcgreg wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:22 am
What is the exact error message you get when Win 10 update fails?
Tonight's update for windows cumulative update 12 simply said "we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes don't turn off your computer"

I may attempt to change the computer bios to uefi and disk management to cpt when I read up on it a little more.
Changing to uefi, will make you computer not booting from the HD as the OS's have been installed in BIOS/MBR legacy mode.
One requirment for UEFI booting is an ESP(EFI)-partition and most UEFI's, do also require a GPT-partition scheme.
Changing/converting existing MSDOS-partition scheme to GPT is risky, and might result in total data loss.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

User avatar
Paul..
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: dual boot mxlinux and windows 10

#12

Post by Paul.. » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:31 am

fehlix wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:37 am
Changing to uefi, will make you computer not booting from the HD as the OS's have been installed in BIOS/MBR legacy mode.
One requirment for UEFI booting is an ESP(EFI)-partition and most UEFI's, do also require a GPT-partition scheme.
Changing/converting existing MSDOS-partition scheme to GPT is risky, and might result in total data loss.
I agree. Not worth the risk, nowwhat. Better to play the cards you were dealt with this machine.

Asus Prime X470-Pro | AMD Ryzen 5 1400 (8 threads)
16 Gig DDR4 3000 | nVidia - GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Samsung 970 NVMe SSD | 860 500GB SSD

User avatar
nowwhat
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: dual boot mxlinux and windows 10

#13

Post by nowwhat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:55 pm

fehlix wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:37 am
nowwhat wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:22 am
j2mcgreg wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:22 am
What is the exact error message you get when Win 10 update fails?
Tonight's update for windows cumulative update 12 simply said "we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes don't turn off your computer"

I may attempt to change the computer bios to uefi and disk management to cpt when I read up on it a little more.
Changing to uefi, will make you computer not booting from the HD as the OS's have been installed in BIOS/MBR legacy mode.
One requirment for UEFI booting is an ESP(EFI)-partition and most UEFI's, do also require a GPT-partition scheme.
Changing/converting existing MSDOS-partition scheme to GPT is risky, and might result in total data loss.
I had pretty much determined that switching to uefi and gpt would require a a complete reduex of the system. Since I only have a 2 TB drive I wouldn't really gain much. I hope someone comes up with a solution to the windows update thing. It's starting to frustrate me.

Nowwhat

User avatar
j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:04 pm

Re: dual boot mxlinux and windows 10

#14

Post by j2mcgreg » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:08 pm

This update problem is a known glitch with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 and it has nothing to do with your attempts to dual boo with MX. Try this link for some possible fixes for the problem:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... d850ce8d7c

Hope This Helps
HP ProBook 450 G5; CPU Intel i5; 500GB HDD; Intel UHD 620 Graphics; 8 GB Ram

User avatar
daleq
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:45 pm

Re: dual boot mxlinux and windows 10

#15

Post by daleq » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 am

I was going to reply with the same info j2mcgreg gave, but I'll just seconded it instead.
I went through the instructions (use 'regsvr32.exe /s' to avoid a bazillion dialogs you have to confirm) and it worked for me.

User avatar
nowwhat
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: dual boot mxlinux and windows 10

#16

Post by nowwhat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:28 pm

j2mcgreg wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:08 pm
This update problem is a known glitch with Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 and it has nothing to do with your attempts to dual boo with MX. Try this link for some possible fixes for the problem:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... d850ce8d7c

Hope This Helps
Great. I'll give it a try and let the list know the results

Nowwhat

User avatar
nowwhat
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: dual boot mxlinux and windows 10

#17

Post by nowwhat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:30 pm

daleq wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 am
I was going to reply with the same info j2mcgreg gave, but I'll just seconded it instead.
I went through the instructions (use 'regsvr32.exe /s' to avoid a bazillion dialogs you have to confirm) and it worked for me.
Thanks for the tip !

Nowwhat

Post Reply

Return to “Software / Configuration”