-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

How can I fix this graphic glitch?

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: How can I fix this graphic glitch?

#11 Post by dreamer » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:48 pm

For whatever it's worth:

You have to start wide and narrow it down. Is Linux able to get you less window tearing?

Start with let's say Kubuntu (because kwin and Ubuntu base - Ubuntu is a reference for hardware support - maybe not the best, but a reference)
If Kubuntu gives you good results, try corresponding Xubuntu release
If Xubuntu gives you good results, try MX Linux with the same setup as Xubuntu (same kernel version, Mesa etc., if possible)

Maybe I'm pessimistic. I do think you should be able to get slightly better behavior, but I don't think you can get rid of tearing completely.

[I have two AMD machines, one APU and one with GPU and both render GTK3 apps black right after launch (all distros I have tried which are not that many but still). So I'm beginning to see this as a GTK3 feature, possibly only affecting AMD graphics. The apps are perfectly usable, it just gives a bad impression. What I'm trying to say is while it's good to explore possible solutions, sometimes no solution is available]

PS If you are willing to try MX-16 there is a proprietary fglrx driver with a GUI installer.

Mich-C
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#12 Post by Mich-C » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:20 pm

dreamer wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:48 pm
test different Ubuntu version and gtk3
Thanks again for the help dreamer! In the next days I'm going to update the kernel, I confide in it! Then if I won't solve the problem I'll start to test other distros as you adviced
I also want to contact the official AMD support to make clarity about all those drivers and especially about the hardware (apparently I have r5, r6 and r7) I' ll hope to find a definitive solution and help the community because this isn't a very common hardware configuration among linux users.
dreamer wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:48 pm
PS If you are willing to try MX-16 there is a proprietary fglrx driver with a GUI installer.
I had an idea... Would it be possible to install the graphic and tool from MX16 on MX17? I think I simply need the .deb :)

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by dreamer » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:43 pm

I had an idea... Would it be possible to install the graphic and tool from MX16 on MX17? I think I simply need the .deb :)
No, that's not possible. fglrx is not compatible with the version of xorg in MX 17. It's a shame. fglrx gave me a lot of nice settings in a GUI that were useful when I had a computer connected to a TV. Also I believe fglrx is one of very few Linux drivers that can output full RGB (0-255) instead of limited RGB (16-235). For a dull plasma it made a difference I think. Yep, I miss fglrx even though open source radeon driver is just as stable, if not more.

Mich-C
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#14 Post by Mich-C » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:11 am

dreamer wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:43 pm
No, that's not possible. fglrx is not compatible with the version of xorg in MX 17. It's a shame. fglrx gave me a lot of nice settings in a GUI that were useful when I had a computer connected to a TV. Also I believe fglrx is one of very few Linux drivers that can output full RGB (0-255) instead of limited RGB (16-235). For a dull plasma it made a difference I think. Yep, I miss fglrx even though open source radeon driver is just as stable, if not more.
Oh yes, in theory I should "downgrade" Xorg in MX 17 and then install fglrx just to test it, it wouldn't be worth it.
P.S. Excuse me if abuse your kindness and knowledge, my last question (or at least I hope so :number1: ): Given that I haven't touched any component of my system yet, I just noticed a strange line about GPU buring MX boot and shutdown:

[16.951113] amdgpu: [powerplay] VBIOS did not find boot engine clock value in depency table. Using Memory DPM level 0!
I should have have noticed it before... Maybe you know what does it mean?

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by dreamer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:38 am

Mich-C wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:11 am
Oh yes, in theory I should "downgrade" Xorg in MX 17 and then install fglrx just to test it, it wouldn't be worth it.
P.S. Excuse me if abuse your kindness and knowledge, my last question (or at least I hope so :number1: ): Given that I haven't touched any component of my system yet, I just noticed a strange line about GPU buring MX boot and shutdown:

[16.951113] amdgpu: [powerplay] VBIOS did not find boot engine clock value in depency table. Using Memory DPM level 0!
I should have have noticed it before... Maybe you know what does it mean?
I don't know what it means. It may be related to your problems. I have never used the amdgpu driver. My hardware is older and uses the radeon driver. You should try to find out what that line means. Maybe powerplay is related to energy settings and clock speed? Just a guess. Maybe someone else here on the forum knows what it means. Also try Google. I think this is related to your problems - it seems your driver isn't working correctly. :frown:

Mich-C
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#16 Post by Mich-C » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:03 pm

dreamer wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:38 am
Maybe powerplay is related to energy settings and clock speed? Just a guess.
I think this is related to your problems - it seems your driver isn't working correctly. :frown:
Yes, I think too that the problem comes from here!
I'm already doing research, without success, but I hope I'll find a solution on internet or with the help of other users on the MXforum ;)

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by Stevo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:34 pm

Mich-C wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:33 pm
Stevo wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:51 pm
AMD abandoned the Linux proprietary fglrx driver quite some time ago in favor of going open source with amdgpu, and it will no longer build on the xorg libraries available in MX 17. We still have it available for MX 15/16, though.
Oh.... So that's why on MX 16 i could use the graphic tool "install driver for AMD" and now I don't see it anymore? Woah!
Stevo wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:51 pm
Somebody on the Debian forums reported success with a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf file, it seems:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 95#p683892

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
        Identifier "AMD Graphics"
        Driver "amdgpu"
        Option "TearFree" "yes"
EndSection
Many thanks, but I opened with root privileges that directory and I found just 2 files, one is the synaptic.conf and the other is 10-evdev.conf that contains this text:

#
# Catch-all evdev loader for udev-based systems
# We don't simply match on any device since that also adds accelerometers
# and other devices that we don't really want to use. The list below
# matches everything but joysticks.

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev tablet catchall"
        MatchIsTablet "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchscreen catchall"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection
Well, yes, you have to create a text file named 20-amdgpu.conf with the contents I listed above (make sure it ends with a blank line (newline), and then copy it to the directory:

sudo cp 20-amdgpu.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
and restart the system.

If it helps, we could automate this by adding it as a feature to MX Tweak like we did for the "intel" driver.

Mich-C
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#18 Post by Mich-C » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Stevo wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:34 pm
Well, yes, you have to create a text file named 20-amdgpu.conf with the contents I listed above (make sure it ends with a blank line (newline), and then copy it to the directory:

sudo cp 20-amdgpu.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
and restart the system.

If it helps, we could automate this by adding it as a feature to MX Tweak like we did for the "intel" driver.
Stevo, you're awesome!! I'm going to test this and report back on the forum as soon as possible. If it will work, why not include it in Mx tool ;)
(I can't test it at the moment cause first of all I want to get rid of a lightdm bug I encountered yesterday and for which I just started a thread)

Return to “Software / Configuration”