Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Installing Emby

mitnworb

Installing Emby

#1 Post by mitnworb »

I have searched and can't find anything specific about Installing Emby on MX17.1. I have looked thru as many posting as possible and they almost always refer to Ubuntu and I have tried to make some of those methods work but nothing would take. Does anyone know if there happens to be anything her regarding this or at least know where I might find some instructions for MX. I am not the most technical with linux yet but I am learning.

Gordon Cooper

Re: Installing Emby

#2 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Think that Emby is proprietary, if so it will not be in MX repos.-+
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

mitnworb

#3 Post by mitnworb »

Thanks, I was hoping some has intstalled here and would have some input to install it successfully

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

I never even heard of this, but I see many text and video hits on a web search on "install emby server debian 9"
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

timkb4cq
Developer

#5 Post by timkb4cq »

This page has the deb you would download & install. Use the dropdown to select and download the debian X64 deb file.
Clicking on the downloaded file will bring up the gdebi-gtk program to install the deb.
Once it's installed, it says to "Open a web browser to http://localhost:8096"
https://emby.media/linux-server.html
They have a pretty good wiki.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

MikeKlemin

#6 Post by MikeKlemin »

It will installs with nasty looking error because it need systemmd which MX-17/18 does not have enabled (and very persuasive asks us not to enable it).

Code: Select all

$ sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.0.0.2_amd64.deb 
Selecting previously unselected package emby-server.
(Reading database ... 504239 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack emby-server-deb_4.0.0.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking emby-server (4.0.0.2) ...
Setting up emby-server (4.0.0.2) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/emby-server.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service.
Failed to start emby-server.service: Unknown unit: emby-server.service
See system logs and 'systemctl status emby-server.service' for details.
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ..
However you can manually launch /opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server as root and everything should be working, at least at my side the wizard appeared
at localhost:8096

Jerry3904
Administrator

#7 Post by Jerry3904 »

And you can boot into systemd if you want by clicking on Advanced Options.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB

MikeKlemin

#8 Post by MikeKlemin »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:26 am And you can boot into systemd if you want by clicking on Advanced Options.
The day I decide I drastically in need of systemd on my desktop I most likely will switch distro.

Fanofscifi

#9 Post by Fanofscifi »

MikeKlemin wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:29 am It will installs with nasty looking error because it need systemmd which MX-17/18 does not have enabled (and very persuasive asks us not to enable it).

Code: Select all

$ sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_4.0.0.2_amd64.deb 
Selecting previously unselected package emby-server.
(Reading database ... 504239 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack emby-server-deb_4.0.0.2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking emby-server (4.0.0.2) ...
Setting up emby-server (4.0.0.2) ...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/emby-server.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service.
Failed to start emby-server.service: Unknown unit: emby-server.service
See system logs and 'systemctl status emby-server.service' for details.
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ..
However you can manually launch /opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server as root and everything should be working, at least at my side the wizard appeared
at localhost:8096
Hello everyone. I hope you're all fine. I'm brand new to MX. How do you lanch it? with the terminal? What's the command line to launch it?

Thanks in advance

Jerry3904
Administrator

#10 Post by Jerry3904 »

Alt-F1
Ctrl-F
"systemd" (2nd hit)

Because the use of systemd as a system and service manager has been controversial, we want to be clear about its function in MX Linux. Systemd is included by default but not enabled. You can scan your MX system and discover files bearing systemd* names, but those simply provide a compatibility hook/entrypoint when needed. MX Linux uses systemd-shim, which emulates the systemd functions that are required to run the helpers without actually using the init service. This means that SvsVinit remains the default init yet MX Linux can use Debian packages that have systemd dependencies such as CUPS and Network Manager.

This approach also allows the user to retain the ability to choose his/her preferred init at boot by clicking on "Advanced options" and selecting the systemd one. We can not provide support for users who choose to run MX Linux using systemd.

Return to “Software / Configuration”