-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

LibreOffice 6.0.1.1 Doesn't Offer Export to EPUB

NevilsStation
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: LibreOffice 6.0.1.1 Doesn't Offer Export to EPUB

#21 Post by NevilsStation » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Gordon Cooper wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:00 pm
You could do a simple test. Load any Open Document File .odt into your Libre Office and try Export As > Epub. That should see if your copy of
LO is faulty. There is nothing wrong with the default LO 6.0.1.1 presently in MX.
OK, that works. It's unclear what is the difference between Export as EPUB and Export Directly as EPUB.

I tried both and they worked - except that both failed to Export the image embedded in the file.

EDIT: The image is a small .jpg
Custom-built PC w/i7 CPU running MX-16.

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#22 Post by Gordon Cooper » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:29 pm

That's good, means that your copy of Libre Office is OK. The image looks to be an issue, either in LO's conversion method, or in EPub itself.
I tried converting an odt document file that contained a Table. The table's words were transferred OK, but all the formatting and lines disappeared in the EPub. The headings from the table, that had been in line spread across the page, appeared in the EPub as a vertical column.
I guess this means that LO's Epub maker is very simple and can only deal with words and basic commands such as end of line.

The same document converts to PDF with all formatting retained.
Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
Primary OS : MX-17.1 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

NevilsStation
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#23 Post by NevilsStation » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:09 am

turtlebay777 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:29 pm
You can use this free online tool for converting anything to anything else, this is the convert to EPUB page.

https://www.conversion-tool.com/epub?lang=en

Look down left margin for other page converters, audio, video, etc.

I find the tool great for converting midi music titles to MP3 etc. Record yourself playing a piece on a keyboard in midi then convert the file to mp3 for playing on a stereo system.
It did not handle a Master Document in .odm format

Everything was treated as a single page and just a mess of alphanumerics.
Custom-built PC w/i7 CPU running MX-16.

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#24 Post by Gordon Cooper » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:20 am

.odm files are not suitable for conversion to Epub, they are virtually a filing system for holding a set of documents and they need to be made into a single document i.e. an odt file before trying to convert.

I have done some more reading about images in Epub. It is not a simple conversion and it appears that only properly designed converters can handle
them. Simple converters like that in LO are only suitable for text. Suggest you dive into your browser and search Epub conversion.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#25 Post by arjaybe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:12 pm

I did an experimental export to ePub, then looked at it in Calibre. I was surprised to find that it didn't have a stylesheet.css file. All of the encoding is right in amongst the html. It makes a presentable file for reading, but internally it's a mess. If you just want something you can read in your reader, fine, but I wouldn't submit something like that anywhere.
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

A thug state led by an overweening twat.

Green Comet

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#26 Post by Gordon Cooper » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:23 pm

arjaybe wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:12 pm
I did an experimental export to ePub, then looked at it in Calibre. I was surprised to find that it didn't have a stylesheet.css file. All of the encoding is right in amongst the html. It makes a presentable file for reading, but internally it's a mess. If you just want something you can read in your reader, fine, but I wouldn't submit something like that anywhere.
Exporting from LO as XHTML, then using perhaps Calibre to make the ePub would work? Don't know anything about Calibre at present, got to do some
serious reading.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#27 Post by arjaybe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Gordon Cooper wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:23 pm
arjaybe wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:12 pm
Exporting from LO as XHTML, then using perhaps Calibre to make the ePub would work? Don't know anything about Calibre at present, got to do some
serious reading.
No, the LO ePub is too messy to edit. There is a plugin for LO called writer2epub that outputs a pretty good file which can be touched up in Calibre. You can also convert directly with Calibre from ODT.

Green Comet

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#28 Post by Gordon Cooper » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 pm

There is a plugin for LO called writer2epub that outputs a pretty good file which can be touched up in Calibre. You can also convert directly with Calibre from ODT.
Thanks for that. The Calibre FAQs say that .odt is not overly successful for conversions to ePub. Will do some tests with writer2epub.

Edit. An hour later, some progress. The writer to ePub does not directly produce epub format. It does convert odt to XML which can then be converted to ePub in Calibre. In my first test, some of the images have moved, the anchoring in LO needs to be fixed next and more reading about Calibre to do.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#29 Post by arjaybe » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:19 am

Gordon Cooper wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 pm
Thanks for that. The Calibre FAQs say that .odt is not overly successful for conversions to ePub. Will do some tests with writer2epub.

Edit. An hour later, some progress. The writer to ePub does not directly produce epub format. It does convert odt to XML which can then be converted to ePub in Calibre. In my first test, some of the images have moved, the anchoring in LO needs to be fixed next and more reading about Calibre to do.
I guess it would probably be a hassle to export docx from LO, then convert in Calibre.

Writer2epub produces an epub for me, which I then edit in Calibre. Other than a couple of times I added a cover in LO before running W2E, I don't have much experience with images. The covers seemed to work.

Green Comet

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#30 Post by Gordon Cooper » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:55 pm

I guess it would probably be a hassle to export docx from LO, then convert in Calibre.
No, there is no hassle, LO provides a 'Save As' to several formats including docx, although LO will complaIn that you might lose some
formatting. i have had no problems (yet :happy: ).

Images are a different issue. A direct conversion from LO to ePub loses them. using an xml intermediate step does preserve images but may
displace them unless they are correctly anchored in LO. I read about this when first seeking an answer to the original problem in this thread, but
cannot find the reference again.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

Return to “Software / Configuration”