[Solved] Help with Grub Customizer not Saving Configurations Correctly

male

Re: Help with Grub Customizer not Saving Configurations Correctly

#31 Post by male »

fehlix wrote: configfile /sourcing ... grub.cfg :
This loads into the current running grub another grub-menu (grub.cfg).

The difference: As long as you have similar grub-versions this appear to behave identical.

Code: Select all

configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
It's quite simple
"configfile" means to stick with the example of @rej:

Its main bootloader from MX to sda3 is instructed to use the
configuration (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) from antiX17.2 to sda7 to load.

Different grub versions do not play a role. It is simple and efficient.
What I can't prove is the UEFI, because I don't own such a machine. However, this should work the same way if the UEFI installation on sda7 was done correctly. The main bootloader uses the grub.cfg of sda7.

None of this is new and not since yesterday. It is correct that an update-grub in the main boot loader sda3 takes longer than 30 seconds.
I already had 8 minutes with me, because he has to "collect" the data of ALL distributions via his os-prober.

asqwerth
Developer

#32 Post by asqwerth »

male wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:58 am ...Its main bootloader from MX to sda3 is instructed to use the
configuration (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) from antiX17.2 to sda7 to load.

Different grub versions do not play a role. It is simple and efficient.
What I can't prove is the UEFI, because I don't own such a machine. However, this should work the same way if the UEFI installation on sda7 was done correctly. The main bootloader uses the grub.cfg of sda7.

None of this is new and not since yesterday. It is correct that an update-grub in the main boot loader sda3 takes longer than 30 seconds.
I already had 8 minutes with me, because he has to "collect" the data of ALL distributions via his os-prober.
My PC is old school MBR boot, not UEFI, but in my custom menu entries, I use chainloader and multiboot command interchangeably. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

And with so many different distros on my system, I'm sure I have many different grub versions.

So far I've not had any issues with my custom entries, so I'm not really bothered to investigate further. It's so much more convenient to have custom entries loading the grub.cfg of the target distro, than having to update grub in the main grub distro all the time because like you said, it takes very long.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

fehlix
Developer

#33 Post by fehlix »

asqwerth wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:06 am But whether I use my configfile entry or your multiboot one, the grub menu that appears for Neon is the old one, and the new grub theme I applied just didn't register. I also have a chainloader menu entry for Neon, still no change in grub theme. Maybe they did something to it....
This

echo GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/StylishDark/theme.txt | sudo tee /etc/default/grub.d/99_zz-grub-theme.cfg
sudo update-grub
would make a theme to be recognised in Neon and will overload the existing installed default theme setup in /etc/default/grub.d/99_breeze-grub.cfg
:puppy:

EDIT: added update-grub
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

oops

#34 Post by oops »

fehlix wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:12 am
oops wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:56 am

#/etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts/custom
Your approach is based on functionality provided by grub-customizer.
Which might be fine as long as you have a working grub-customizer. :eek:

In addtion setting root through a "fixed" device-name like set root=(hd0,10),
might break as soon as you plugin another SATA device, as those
device names will be generated during boot and might change.
:snail:
Yes but for those, it's only/mostly for a frugal installs so it does not matter, and for the others I use UUID.
PS: No, I do not use grub-customizer (except one time for a test) and I modify this file by hand now, like your custom.cfg.
Maybe I can simply copy/move /etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts/custom /boot/grub/custom.cfg to /boot/grub/custom.cfg for the exactly same effect.

cp /etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts/custom /boot/grub/custom.cfg
#then
rm /etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts/custom
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

fehlix
Developer

#35 Post by fehlix »

oops wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:39 am No, I do not use grub-customizer (except one time for a test) and I modify this file by hand now, like your custom.cfg.
Maybe I can simply copy/move /etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts/custom /boot/grub/custom.cfg to /boot/grub/custom.cfg for the exactly same effect.

#then
Well, /etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts/custom is used by grub-customizer,
if you would click "restore/reset" within grub-customizer all those are gone.
Yes, better place it into /boot/grub/custom.cfg

oops

#36 Post by oops »

fehlix wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:09 am
oops wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:39 am No, I do not use grub-customizer (except one time for a test) and I modify this file by hand now, like your custom.cfg.

#then
update-grub
Well, /etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts/custom is used by grub-customizer,
if you would click "restore/reset" within grub-customizer all those are gone.
Yes, better place it into /boot/grub/custom.cfg
Thank you Fehlix and Asqwerth, I have applied your recommendation with success (to be free of grub-customizer, in case of) and to fit the /etc/grub.d/41_custom standard process.
Last edited by oops on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

asqwerth
Developer

#37 Post by asqwerth »

fehlix wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:12 am This

echo GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/StylishDark/theme.txt | sudo tee /etc/default/grub.d/99_zz-grub-theme.cfg
sudo update-grub
would make a theme to be recognised in Neon and will overload the existing installed default theme setup in /etc/default/grub.d/99_breeze-grub.cfg
:puppy:

EDIT: added update-grub
Thanks, fehlix.

I'll try this when I have some time, probably after Tuesday.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

rej

#38 Post by rej »

fehlix-
Thank you - this worked - no more delay on startup and Grub nicely cleaned up!

Asqwerth-
It's worth plenty - thanks for showing this to me. Good reference - all your posts!

You have all taken the time to provide a wealth of nicely laid out information, that will be very helpful in using any of the options, including installing the bootloader on antiX [caprea] which seems to work pretty well also. Experimenting on several test devices.

For the time being, all set, as there is a tidier boot menu and a resolve for the swap delay.

I appreciate it very much.

Thanks everyone who has jumped in and contributed to this!

ph3arr3t

Re: refind

#39 Post by ph3arr3t »

I am running MX21 kernel 5.18.0-4mx on an ASUS ROG Strix G15 laptop.
Dual boot with Windows 10. I tried installing refind to theme the boot,
but when I selected any choice in refind to boot, it then loaded the mx21 loader.
is refind wrongly detecting what to load?
Current project system AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX w/ Radeon graphics & NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050
Dualbooting MX-Linux and Windows 10 fully matrix themed throughout

fehlix
Developer

Re: refind

#40 Post by fehlix »

ph3arr3t wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:42 am I am running MX21 kernel 5.18.0-4mx on an ASUS ROG Strix G15 laptop.
Dual boot with Windows 10. I tried installing refind to theme the boot,
but when I selected any choice in refind to boot, it then loaded the mx21 loader.
is refind wrongly detecting what to load?
It's nearly always a good idea to open a new thread with detailed description what was done,
what system is in use and last but not least with posting "Quick System Info" text output
by running the tool with the same name found in the menu.
Note: Adding your not related stuff to a thread wich is marked as [Solved], nearly two years old
with a completely unrelated thread title to your issue is nothing people get motivated to provide you with help.
Thanks

Return to “Software / Configuration”