-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Flatpaks descriptions

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Flatpaks descriptions

#11 Post by skidoo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 pm

From this webpage https://flathub.org/apps you can use the in-page search box (name, description) or browse through the available categories.

Can also find description/screenshots here https://www.opendesktop.org/browse/cat/233/ but most of the listed items are AppImage, not Flatpak

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Flatpaks descriptions

#12 Post by asqwerth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:50 pm

WaltH wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:55 pm
EDIT: While it looks like the "Full Package Name" might be the website URL in reverse, this does not always seem to be the case. (Agenda, for instance, gives me a warning of hackers possibly trying to steal my passwords and other information.) In other caes, it requires guessing which combination of terms from the full package name is the URL 9as with Beaker Browser.)
Nope, that's actually the PACKAGE name in the strange world of flatpaks. The devs had to work on some text manipulation commands in MXPI to extract the normal applications names from within those unwieldy lines for listing in the leftmost column.

That's why it was helpful to get some sort of GUI going for flatpak management (outside of Gnome Software Manager or KDE Discover, which are very linked to their respective Desktop Environments) , because if you use command line, you have to deal with all those full names.

I'm sure the devs will continue to refine and improve this first iteration of the flatpak manager.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “Software / Configuration”