-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

LXQT Proof of Concept (on MX 17.1) using XFWM

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: LXQT Proof of Concept (on MX 17.1)

#11 Post by fehlix » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:57 am

manyroads wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:49 pm
With a few tweaks I think I have it working as well as it can. There are some theme issues that are unfixable by me. For example, some (all?) the MX tools need to be offered in a QT friendly layout in order to play nice with Kvantum.
After a quick play with your nice ISO I do see that the MX-tools Qt-apps, work fine within a LXQT session and do use the kvantum defined theming. The issue is with gtk settings, which are not setup properly or not recognised by GTK apps.
You can either fix this through xsessiond or copy/adjust the corrensending "gtkrc" files:
e.g.:
~/.gtkrc-2.0 and /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini and /etc/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

baldyeti
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: LXQT Proof of Concept (on MX 17.1) using XFWM

#12 Post by baldyeti » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 am

I think adjusting the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98qtconfig script as I suggested here should work, too.

The advantage is that with a script, the environment variables keep being set to mimic the GTK look and feel under GTK-based DE's, yet just use the QT L&F under QT-based DE's. So if someone added a GTK-based DE after installing from the OP's ISO, (say XFCE or Mate), the L&F should be alright no matter what DE you pick from the logon manager. I currently flip-flop between Plasma5 (mostly, I confess) and XFCE.
Last edited by baldyeti on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Post by fehlix » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:36 am

baldyeti wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 am
I think adjusting the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98qtconfig script as I suggested here should work, too.

The advantage is that with a script, the environment variables keep being set to mimic the GTK look and feel under GTK-based DE's, yet just use the QT L&F under QT-based DE's.
The Qt-apps do look already good. It's about GTK based apps, they are missing theming and do fall back to the default,
within the LXQT session. The above fix you mention is about the QT-apps environment.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

baldyeti
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by baldyeti » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:45 am

Alright, makes sense; QT has always been better at emulating the GTK L&F than the other way around. I have *not* tried this particular QT spin, but the original 17.1 script sets the environment variables unconditionally (hence forces GTK-inherited style even under QT envs).

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Post by asqwerth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:18 am

baldyeti wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:45 am
Alright, makes sense; QT has always been better at emulating the GTK L&F than the other way around. I have *not* tried this particular QT spin, but the original 17.1 script sets the environment variables unconditionally (hence forces GTK-inherited style even under QT envs).
But isn't it because XFCE is inherently a gtk environment? When you apply themes under MX Tweak or the XFCE Appearance tool, you are applying gtk themes to the whole DE and all the gtk programs. The original script was to make any QT programs running in this environment, e.g. the MX Tools, Virtualbox, follow the gtk theme.

In LXQT, it's the other way around. This DE is inherently QT. It's applying themes via the LXQT way or Kvantum. So native QT programs will be themed fine. But gtk apps running on this environment may look weird.

In KDE Plasma, the Plasma settings had separate font, theme and icon settings for gtk programs. But in LXQT? No idea.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

baldyeti
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by baldyeti » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 am

@asqwerth: you're right, of course MX-tools look fine under XFCE by emulating the GTK L&F. The issue is if you add plasma (I have not tried LXQT), the unconditional setting of the environment variables forces all DE's to emulate the GTK L&F you chose under XFCE. IIRC even the change of widget sytyle/color scheme etc in the KDE control panel was inoperant and overriden by the variables. Let's leave it at that and not drown the OP in by discussing a problem he apparently has not met.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#17 Post by manyroads » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:31 am

**** :lipsrsealed: This message is full of personal opinion/ bias and should be regarded as such... :lipsrsealed: ******

@fehlix @asqwert @baldyeti I think what I'm learning as I play with things is as follows:
-- LXQT is really not quite ready for prime time (probably why it's still a point release).
-- Openbox (the LXQT native, ancient wm), xfwm4, kwin all need tweaks if LXQT is to achieve a 'more modern' look & feel.
-- In my playing around, I 'generally like the results kwin produces better than those of either xfwm4 or openbox. (Note: if it were me, I'd lose openbox. opps.)

From a personal perspective I find these to be some of the bigger issues:
-- Desktop icons (they are funky and erratic): sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. This issue seems to be understood by the LXQT team, but I have not found an actively pursued approach.
-- OS functionality is limited in base LXQT e.g., the need for a wm, additional system tools (like those from MX or Sparky)
-- I personally see PCfileman as cumbersome (but I'm one of three Thunar biased people, I think. ;) Probably due to 15 years of having used Thunar. Who knows?)
-- LXQT menu needs work, to my mind; the search function is quirky. For me at least, their menu does not flow naturally. And in my testing, third party launchers like plank, docky, gnome-pie, are not happy on the LXQT desktop. :sad:
-- I am, also, not certain that "once" LXQT is built to reasonably complete level of functionality it will be all that light...

The bottom line is that a good LXQT-based distro will take quite a bit of work to become smooth, whether it is built using MXLinux, Sparky, manjaro (arch), or "whatever". :eek: (I have tried the three mentioned.)

As an aside, a good example of a team working hard to make LXQT look good and modern, with a totally different approach, is PeppermintOS (I do like what they have done). :worship: But I have to say, even there the chinks in the armor show through (like using dconf to edit the Desktop... nemo's 'integration'.. etc.) :sad:
Pax vobiscum,
ManyRoads (Mark Rabideau)
http://many-roads.com
MX-18b1_x64 Continuum
Platform: Dell Latitude E5470
CPU: Dual Core Intel i5-6300U (-MT MCP-)
Mem: 8GB SSD: 978.09 GiB
Reg. Linux User #449130
:bagoverhead:

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Post by asqwerth » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:11 am

manyroads wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:31 am
**** :lipsrsealed: This message is full of personal opinion/ bias and should be regarded as such... :lipsrsealed: ******

@fehlix @asqwert @baldyeti I think what I'm learning as I play with things is as follows:
-- LXQT is really not quite ready for prime time (probably why it's still a point release).
-- Openbox (the LXQT native, ancient wm), xfwm4, kwin all need tweaks if LXQT is to achieve a 'more modern' look & feel.
-- In my playing around, I 'generally like the results kwin produces better than those of either xfwm4 or openbox. (Note: if it were me, I'd lose openbox. opps.)

From a personal perspective I find these to be some of the bigger issues:
-- Desktop icons (they are funky and erratic): sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. This issue seems to be understood by the LXQT team, but I have not found an actively pursued approach.
-- OS functionality is limited in base LXQT e.g., the need for a wm, additional system tools (like those from MX or Sparky)
-- I personally see PCfileman as cumbersome (but I'm one of three Thunar biased people, I think. ;) Probably due to 15 years of having used Thunar. Who knows?)
-- LXQT menu needs work, to my mind; the search function is quirky. For me at least, their menu does not flow naturally. And in my testing, third party launchers like plank, docky, gnome-pie, are not happy on the LXQT desktop. :sad:
-- I am, also, not certain that "once" LXQT is built to reasonably complete level of functionality it will be all that light...

The bottom line is that a good LXQT-based distro will take quite a bit of work to become smooth, whether it is built using MXLinux, Sparky, manjaro (arch), or "whatever". :eek: (I have tried the three mentioned.)

As an aside, a good example of a team working hard to make LXQT look good and modern, with a totally different approach, is PeppermintOS (I do like what they have done). :worship: But I have to say, even there the chinks in the armor show through (like using dconf to edit the Desktop... nemo's 'integration'.. etc.) :sad:
You might be getting mixed up with the old LXDE, which is gtk2-based. Peppermint was LXDE-based but over the years replaced those elements with more XFCE components. Plus nemo, which is gtk3. I get the impression from this June 2018 post and this thread that they haven't moved to LXQT.

https://peppermintos.com/2018/06/peppermint-9-released/

https://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php?topic=7307.0

Let's wait to see what tools Lubuntu comes up with, when their next release goes LXQT. Then those can be hopefully ported to Debian.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Post by Stevo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:38 pm

I finished backporting the components of lxqt-0.13.0 and tested the install by throwing all the debs into my local apt repository folder. It's now in our test repo if you'd like to try it out.

manyroads
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Post by manyroads » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Thank you @steveo!

I'll see what I can break. :lipsrsealed:
Pax vobiscum,
ManyRoads (Mark Rabideau)
http://many-roads.com
MX-18b1_x64 Continuum
Platform: Dell Latitude E5470
CPU: Dual Core Intel i5-6300U (-MT MCP-)
Mem: 8GB SSD: 978.09 GiB
Reg. Linux User #449130
:bagoverhead:

Return to “Software / Configuration”