-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

how to do directories in Clementine

cjos
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

how to do directories in Clementine

#1 Post by cjos » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:50 am

Hi
Can anyone provide help setting up directories on Clementine? I am trying to move all my iTunes library across into Clementine.

Regards,

C

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: how to do directories in Clementine

#2 Post by fehlix » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:35 pm

cjos wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:50 am
Can anyone provide help setting up directories on Clementine? I am trying to move all my iTunes library across into Clementine.
Any specific issue you are facing when using Clementine or is this more a general "How to use Clementine" kind of question? Do you have access to the media files on your iDevice yet? The better and more detailed you describe your question the more likely you will get good advice to solve your issue - if at all. iTunes itself does not provide a good known API on Linux, but MTP or USB access might work to access your music files.
EDIT: Does MX- iDevice-mounter provides access to your device ?
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#3 Post by chrispop99 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:16 pm

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but my music folder has a mixture of folders with a single album in, and folders with multiple albums from the same artist in. It doesn't seem to matter as Clementine seems to use the information on each individual file to sort things out reasonably well.

Sometimes, if an artist has one or more tracks with someone 'featuring' on it, extra entries will be created as it is treated as a separate artist, but Clementine has a tag editor to let you change that as you wish.

Please ignore if you were asking about retrieving your music from the clutches of Apple!

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

cjos
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by cjos » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:32 pm

Thank you for responding. I think I need a lot more experience in Linux Program writing. Putting that problem to one side for a moment, with what experience I have, had me looking at YouTube and a very informative Brian Deigle and his "Organizing your music" which went quite well until I got to "selecting a directory view" of your own choice.
Regards
C

cjos
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by cjos » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Yes, I do have access to my media files and have got them to show in Clementine, but not in the way that Brian Deigle had them with more options than me in my current iTunes.
My other target is to be able to copy and paste my Play Lists, which is currently not available in iTunes!
C

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#6 Post by fehlix » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:50 pm

cjos wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:32 pm
.. a very informative Brian Deigle and his "Organizing your music"
Thanks for pointing to this video Organizing Music with Clementine.
Fairly well explained, how to (re-)organize your music folders, esp. the part of sorting by tag-properties of the music files.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Richard

#7 Post by Richard » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:00 am

Thanks, @cjos, for the link to the Clementine video.
MX18b1: Lenovo T430: Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 4.9.0-8-amd64, 119 GB SSD
MX18b1: Eee&AA1 NBs: Dual Core Atom N270, 1GB RAM, 4.9.0-8-686, 150 GB HDD
DoubleCmd/Thunar, LibO613, Dropbox, Vivaldi/Firefox, CherryTree, Vbox. LinuxCounter #208633

cjos
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Post by cjos » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:37 am

fehlix wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:35 pm
cjos wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:50 am
Any specific issue you are facing when using Clementine or is this more a general "How to use Clementine" kind of question? Do you have access to the media files on your iDevice yet? The better and more detailed you describe your question the more likely you will get good advice to solve your issue - if at all. iTunes itself does not provide a good known API on Linux, but MTP or USB access might work to access your music files.
EDIT: Does MX- iDevice-mounter provides access to your device ?
OK, good questions, "general questions" would be good for now, but understanding the command line that Brian Daigle suggested about "configure the library", especially the use of "%".
As mentioned, I have moved my library over to an external drive attached to Clementine MX, and it is behaving well. I do not know what "API, MTB or USB" means in respect of my directory question, any further assistance would be gratefully received.
Additionally, what is "iDevice-mounter?
C

cjos
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by cjos » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:43 am

fehlix wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:50 pm
cjos wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:32 pm
.. a very informative Brian Deigle and his "Organizing your music"
Thanks for pointing to this video Organizing Music with Clementine.
Fairly well explained, how to (re-)organize your music folders, esp. the part of sorting by tag-properties of the music files.
May I ask what my cat is doing on your title page?
When you say "Fairly well explained", am I guessing correctly that you are going explore the short falls? Do you know of any other tutorials on Clementine?
C

cjos
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#10 Post by cjos » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:50 am

chrispop99 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:16 pm
I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but my music folder has a mixture of folders with a single album in, and folders with multiple albums from the same artist in. It doesn't seem to matter as Clementine seems to use the information on each individual file to sort things out reasonably well.

Sometimes, if an artist has one or more tracks with someone 'featuring' on it, extra entries will be created as it is treated as a separate artist, but Clementine has a tag editor to let you change that as you wish.

Please ignore if you were asking about retrieving your music from the clutches of Apple!

Chris
Thanks Chris, I hope my Brian Deigle video cleared up my question. As I mentioned earlier, My knowledge is still in the development stage as far a Linux writing is concerned, so I apologise for that.
Cjos

Return to “Software / Configuration”