-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Remote Access Question - Finding IP Of Remote To Allow Nomachine or VNC or Antix 1to1 Assistant

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Remote Access Question - Finding IP Of Remote To Allow Nomachine or VNC or Antix 1to1 Assistant

#1 Post by nathan2423 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 am

I've stopped using Teamviewer due to it nagging me thinking I am a business user, and I am reluctant to fully invest in Google remote desktop or even Anydesk because I want to get away from reliance on third parties that I don't trust to keep my data private. That my level of trust of Google is zero goes without saying; as for Anydesk, I just don't know enough about them to trust them with full access to my machines. I don't do anything that is supersecret, but it just seems like a good idea to maximize privacy and turning over remote access to a third party seems like a major security risk.

I have used Nomachine in the past with some success, but always within my local network. The real problem, of course, is that I sometimes need to access my remote computers over the internet, and maintaining a list of remote IP's and affording a means to connect to them easily is what Teamviewer, Anydesk, and Google Remote offer that is so desirable. Nomachine's web site makes a promise of a future solution, but I am pretty sure that promise has been there for years with no fulfillment.

I would be more than happy to go back to nomachine, or even one of the classic linux options like UltraVNC or Xtogo or the Antix 1to1 Assist program, but I can't figure out how to keep track of ever-changing IP's on remote computers over the internet that aren't on the local network. I don't have static addresses, and also all my computers are connected to home routers, so my IPs constantly change.

Is there some program or service that I can keep running on each computer which would allow me to look up its current IP from any other computer to which my messenger is connected? It seems like some years ago when I looked at this I found that running a "Jabber" instant messenger on each computer would allow me to see which were online, and what their IP was, but that was many years ago and I suspect that is an obsolete approach.

Does anyone know of a good method for doing this? Running an instant messenger might still be a viable option, and I could use Tox or some other newer system, but I suspect that this is a question that has an obvious answer that is just beyond my level of expertise.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

clicktician
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Remote Access Question - Finding IP Of Remote To Allow Nomachine or VNC or Antix 1to1 Assistant

#2 Post by clicktician » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:14 pm

I access my Ubuntu box over VNC/SSH every day. And I use dyndns.com (paid version) which lets my machine inform the DNS of its current dynamically assigned IP address via a small service.
no-ip.com provides similar services some of which I believe are free. This makes your machine's dynamic IP discoverable like any other DNS lookup.

The VNC client/server set up I use does all the SSH tunneling automatically. I run SSH server on an alternate port forwarded by my router.

There is an excellent set of programs for MX/Antix called "ssh-conduit-antiX" that Dolphin Oracle has made a video demonstrating. It might be a turnkey solution for what you're after. That, coupled with an account on no-ip.com would probably fix you up.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Remote Access Question - Finding IP Of Remote To Allow Nomachine or VNC or Antix 1to1 Assistant

#3 Post by nathan2423 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:06 am

Thank you very much clicktician! I have looked a little further and now I am wondering if ZeroTier combined with Nomachine won't work for me. I checked out NoIP but it appears if I go that way or rely on the ssh-conduit I am going to have to figure our port forwarding on my router. I am sure that is doable for many people here but for some reason over many years that has struck me personally as a line of techiness that I have not been able to cross ;-) Every time I have attacked it I have failed, and so I am thinking that if I have to port forward I will opt to pay something to Hamachi or equivalent. I will report back on Zerotier.

Return to “Software / Configuration”