Gnome-keyring - unlocked

wellsey

Re: Gnome-keyring - unlocked

#111 Post by wellsey »

whenever I booted this OS from a computer-off state the keyring was NOT unlocked automatically by my logging in.
I believe I have got around the problem by changing my keyring password to blank
This was the same for me, even though I don't auto login. I was not unduly troubled by it as I used firefox but a couple of months ago I switched to using Brave ( a chromium base browser) and started getting the keyring popups. I did the same thing blanked the password and bingo.
I am guessing chromium is protecting the passwords it offers to save for you in those keyrings. And as I dont let it do that ( I use lastPass ) I dont have any security issues by not password protecting the keyring ....unless someone can tell me otherwise?
"There's no limit to what he can do. He could destroy the Earth... If anything should happen to me you must go to Gort, you must say these words, 'Klaatu barada nikto', please repeat that."

Dell Latitude E4310 I5 8GB 256GB SSD

fehlix
Developer

#112 Post by fehlix »

wellsey wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:18 pm ....unless someone can tell me otherwise?
Chrome stores within Gnome-keyring passwords for web-sites, if allowing to store passwords was not deselect.

Chrome stores it's "Chrome Safe Storage" master key during installation or first time run as an application password. This "master" key is used by Chrome to encrypt/decrypt securely any data stored within the local store-databases.

To get a rough idea what this might be: press F12 -> Application Tab -> Storage.

Not sure whether Chrome has a reason to protect that data, but I guess there must be one.

If it is considered to be not worth to protect that data, opening Chrome /chromium using this command line flag:
--password-store=basic
will disable secure protection and chrome will not protect any data/password stored.

Having gnome-keyring set to use an empty password, will also have all other application using gnome-keyring to store the application related passwords/data unprotected.
HTH
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

wellsey

#113 Post by wellsey »

Thanks for the reply Fehlix
"There's no limit to what he can do. He could destroy the Earth... If anything should happen to me you must go to Gort, you must say these words, 'Klaatu barada nikto', please repeat that."

Dell Latitude E4310 I5 8GB 256GB SSD

simwin

#114 Post by simwin »

Please, explain me:
  • How can I check that my passwords are not a plain text saved in file?
  • How can I view the current chromium flag value --password-store?
  • Possible values are: kwallet, kwallet5, gnome, gnome-keyring, gnome-libsecret, basic. Which one will be correct for libpam-gnome-keyring?
  • How can I define it permanently in MxLinux?

fehlix
Developer

#115 Post by fehlix »

simwin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:55 am Please, explain me:
  • Possible values are: kwallet, kwallet5, gnome, gnome-keyring, gnome-libsecret, basic. Which one will be correct for libpam-gnome-keyring?
The default auto-detected flag in MX Linux is "detect": --password-store=detect
Which defaults in MX Linux Xfce to --password-store=gnome
You can check it this way: Open Password and Keys (aka seahorse), lock the default keyring and start chromium, it will ask to unlock the default login keyring. The default login keyring will be unlocked during Session login after you entered the login-password. If you have enabled auto-login, the default-login keyring cannot be unlocked, so chromium would always ask to manually unlock.

simwin

#116 Post by simwin »

fehlix wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 am
You can check it this way: Open Password and Keys (aka seahorse), lock the default keyring and start chromium, it will ask to unlock the default login keyring. The default login keyring will be unlocked during Session login after you entered the login-password. If you have enabled auto-login, the default-login keyring cannot be unlocked, so chromium would always ask to manually unlock.
Yes, I've checked it - chromium ask to unlock the default login keyring. But why I can not see chromium saved passwords in seahorse?

fehlix
Developer

#117 Post by fehlix »

simwin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:33 am
Yes, I've checked it - chromium ask to unlock the default login keyring. But why I can not see chromium saved passwords in seahorse?
It holds only the "master" key(s), the "encrypted storage" is internal within chromium somewhere.

simwin

#118 Post by simwin »

fehlix wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:35 am
It holds only the "master" key(s), the "encrypted storage" is internal within chromium somewhere.
Ok! Thank you for consult!

simwin

#119 Post by simwin »

fehlix wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:35 am
Please help! :) Chromium, Chrome and Opera can't use gnome-keyring and I don't know why, what was doing by me... may be - intalling nodm (no display manager), but when I switch to lightdm the problem isn't disappeared

ps aux | grep gnome
  • /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --start --components=pkcs11,secrets,ssh
  • /usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
  • /usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session
Now I use nodm and unlock gnome keys in seahorse by hands. In login chain keys section chromium, chrome, opera can't generate its keys. With lightdm the result is the same.
Last edited by simwin on Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Developer

#120 Post by fehlix »

simwin wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:29 pm Plese help! :) Chromium, Chrome and Opera can't use gnome-keyring and I don't know why, what was doing by me...
Any error message?

Return to “Software / Configuration”