Gnome-keyring - unlocked

GuiGuy

Re: Gnome-keyring - unlocked[SOLVED]

#91 Post by GuiGuy »

I think I have found the answer :crossfingers: :-

Started seahorse (Whisker menu calls it "Passwords and Keys") and created a new keyring named login (don't know whether the name matters) with blank password.
The nasty popups when starting skype or opera now do not happen :party5: .

I hope this will survive reboots: if it does not I will report back on this thread.
Last edited by GuiGuy on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuiGuy

#92 Post by GuiGuy »

Still no pesky popups :happy: .

login.keyring file appears in my home directory
Screenshot-6.png
The file is readable by seahorse but looks garbled in featherpad.

I believe my solution works: it's certainly simpler than those previously discussed in this thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GuiGuy on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fehlix
Developer

Re: Gnome-keyring - unlocked

#93 Post by fehlix »

GuiGuy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:34 am I believe my solution works: it's certainly simpler than those previously discussed in this thread.
Yes, with an empty password it works. So make sure you protect your Browser and access to your laptop, as password-less unprotected keyrings are readable by any process you are running. As otherwise session hi-jacking, identity-theft or stolen password might be the consequence. I guess, there is a reason, why Chromium has chosen to insists in having a normally well protected keyring to store a online-session related information into.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

GuiGuy

#94 Post by GuiGuy »

Thanks, fehlix.

Jerry: should the wiki be modified again?
Last edited by GuiGuy on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#95 Post by Jerry3904 »

Not sure ATM. I was chastised originally when I posted that solution, which we had in the Wiki and the Users Manual. Will let it ride for a bit...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

fehlix
Developer

#96 Post by fehlix »

GuiGuy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:42 am Thanks, fehlix.

Jerry: should the wiki be modified again?
Not sure if I read this correctly, probably I should have spelled it out more directly.
The password-less login-keyring setup, is not a solution, we shall recommend,
it's rather a highly insecure workaround, for the situation the system is screwed up somehow.
The proper way to handle this, is to let pam (Pluggable Authentication Modules) do unlock
the login-keyring after user login.

You can test whether your pam is broken, by changing the password of the login keyring
using seahorse "Passwords and Keys" to be identical to your login password. After logout login open seahorse again,
and check whether you can open the login keyring without entering a password, i.e. the keyring is already unlocked.

Another test whether you login-pam is broken, would be : remove all keyrings within seahorse
logout and login. Now if login-pam is working, it would have create a new login keyring automatically,
already unlocked but protected with you normal login-password.

You could check the "protecting password of the login-keyring, by right-click-> lock,
and again by right-click unlock, entering your login-password to unprotect.

If you verified that your pam is not broken, we can instruct/setup the individual apps, like skype, chromium, vialvadi, opera etc in a way the do have access to the protected keyring without entering a password.

I might redo this with Opera, and provide a step by step instruction, in case it is still unclear.

GuiGuy

#97 Post by GuiGuy »

Thanks again, fehlix.

By deleting my login.keyring file and following the Wiki instructions I now have the keyring working correctly and :crossfingers: securely :number1:.

[There are some typos in the instructions: IMO this bit
Screenshot-7.png
is confusing and should be corrected.]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GuiGuy on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#98 Post by Jerry3904 »

Which part is confusing?
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

fehlix
Developer

#99 Post by fehlix »

GuiGuy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:11 pm By deleting my login.keyring file and following the Wiki instructions I now have the keyring working correctly and :crossfingers: securely :number1:.
[There are some typos in the instructions: IMO this bitScreenshot-7.pngis confusing and should be corrected.]
Just ignore this part under the headeline "Default keyring already exists".
This part is meant for user who do have already a "default" keyring used by apps wich already had stored passwords into.
Those user certainly do not want to remove all keyrings including their existing passwords.
Please do ask explicitly what you do not understand, as otherwise I tend explain to much, which might not help you to get a clear picture of your situation.
Note: Gnome-keyring can handle multiple keyrings: One of those is the "login"-keyring, automatically unlocked by pam.
And another one can be marked as "default", which stores user passwords on application request, e.g by Opera, etc.
If only one keyring (the login-keyring) exists, this keyring takes also the role as "default" keyring.. I shall better stop now I guess . :footinmouth:

GuiGuy

#100 Post by GuiGuy »

fehlix wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:59 pm..........
Note: Gnome-keyring can handle multiple keyrings: One of those is the "login"-keyring, automatically unlocked by pam.
And another one can be marked as "default", which stores user passwords on application request, e.g by Opera, etc.
If only one keyring (the login-keyring) exists, this keyring takes also the role as "default" keyring.. I shall better stop now I guess . :footinmouth:
Thanks once again, fehlix.
I did not realise I could have more than one keyring: otherwise I am now quite happy with my setup.

I am just trying to help with perfecting the Wiki: IMO it needs careful proof-reading, preferably by somebody whose mother-tongue is English(American).
Of course it is pretty good already, otherwise I could not have followed it with 90% success.

P.S. I apologize for my slow octogenarian brain.
Last edited by GuiGuy on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Software / Configuration”