-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

keyring prompt

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: keyring prompt

#11 Post by fehlix » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:09 am

clicktician wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:18 pm
This is a bug in Chrome.
Well, I would describe this differently. If an application is using gnome-keyring, there are some restrictions or usage pattern a user should know. And in this case of chromium or chrome, the described symptom is exactly as designed and intended. Or to formulate it nicely, the user is not using the application in the sense it is desigend for. So that's not a bug.
But we can certainly help mx linux user and describe how to use it properly. A general quick "leave password empty.." kind of answer, does not always fit to the correct usage pattern of an application.
:turtle:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Leo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by Leo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:55 am

I didn't have a problem until the latest Chrome update. That suggests to me that it's a Chrome problem. Gorram thing won't even save passwords for the current use. I've sent error reports to the Chrome developers, but nothing back. So it's back to Firefox. Now, I just need to remember all of my passwords so Firefox will.

I've never had a password for a keyring...
There are exceptions to every rule...
and I know I'm exceptional... :lion2:
:linuxlove:
Linux user #415188
Linux machine #446574
Athlon 64 3400+, nVidia FX 5500, 2GB, MX-16

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#13 Post by fehlix » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:07 am

Leo wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:55 am
I didn't have a problem until the latest Chrome update. That suggests to me that it's a Chrome problem. Gorram thing won't even save passwords for the current use. I've sent error reports to the Chrome developers, but nothing back. So it's back to Firefox. Now, I just need to remember all of my passwords so Firefox will.

I've never had a password for a keyring...
But remember chrome can be used with alternatives keyrings (aka password stores),
not knowing what type of password store you have used so far.
The password might still be within the existig keyring.
Open Seahors(Password-manager) and have look.
They might have changed the default password-store policy.

Alternatively start chome with the plaintext "pasword-store"
with option --password-store=basic
Those are supported:
--password-store=gnome
--password-store=kwallet
--password-store=basic
The autodefault - not sure what was so far your default.
But curretly seems to be gnome ( = gnome-keyring )

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by dreamer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:12 pm

I have a few questions:

1 Why is gnome-keyring present in MX Linux? I haven't seen it in any other distro. It might have been installed, but it has never popped up (I have been using Linux for 10 years). It seems like a strange thing to include in a Xfce-based distro.

2 What is the purpose? If the purpose is security, then why is it possible to view passwords in the password manager?

3 Is it possible to uninstall after it has been activated?

4 Maybe gnome-keyring is a good idea, but since gnome is in the name I'm feeling worried. It feels like bloat.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#15 Post by fehlix » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:37 pm

dreamer wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:12 pm
I have a few questions:

1 Why is gnome-keyring present in MX Linux? I haven't seen it in any other distro. It might have been installed, but it has never popped up (I have been using Linux for 10 years). It seems like a strange thing to include in a Xfce-based distro.

2 What is the purpose? If the purpose is security, then why is it possible to view passwords in the password manager?

3 Is it possible to uninstall after it has been activated?

4 Maybe gnome-keyring is a good idea, but since gnome is in the name I'm feeling worried. It feels like bloat.
- frist forget the name, just keyring would probably a bit to short, like they now call the filemanager files - purpose: give developer a common way to save temporarily and securely credentials,
Before gnome-keyring was available: every application had it's own idea to save creditials (incl-passwords) somehow somehere, mostly in cleartext.
- Well if you choose to lock the keyring with a good password, thats a fairly good safe for credentials.
- If you install libpam-gnome-keyring, you can have auto unlock the keying when log-in.
- I would not recommend to use if for Online-password, as Chrome is using it.
I would use an extra password-safe like KeePassXC, which nice time out and I can copy the secured db-onto stick or somewhere else, portable to other OS, Android, Win. MaC etc.
- Uninstalling it: Well never tested it, might be a denpendency issue, will not allow to do so.
But I try to use gnome-keyring as less as possible, anyway.

dreamer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by dreamer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Thanks for your reply fehlix. I have a hard time wrapping my head around this (I'm also tired).

I don't know why it exists and would like to nuke it. This is what makes Linux hard compared to Windows. How do you explain to a Windows user that they need extra passwords, because they have to use something called keyring? It can't be explained. It doesn't make sense.

It annoyed me for quite some time and now I saw this thread and decided to post something. Anyway, I feeling tired so probably overreacting. When I'm less tired I'll see what can be done or just continue to live with it.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#17 Post by fehlix » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:15 pm

dreamer wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:01 pm
Thanks for your reply fehlix. I have a hard time wrapping my head around this (I'm also tired).

I don't know why it exists and would like to nuke it. This is what makes Linux hard compared to Windows. How do you explain to a Windows user that they need extra passwords, because they have to use something called keyring? It can't be explained. It doesn't make sense.

It annoyed me for quite some time and now I saw this thread and decided to post something. Anyway, I feeling tired so probably overreacting. When I'm less tired I'll see what can be done or just continue to live with it.
I have missed one point: You questions are a good ones! :happybday:

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#18 Post by Mauser » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:47 pm

This key ring nonsense is a bug. Every time I open Chromium the key ring bug pops up. I click cancel and it pops up quickly. Only the second click cancels it. I tried about:config and it doesn't work as the window to change settings won't open up. How can I get rid of this annoyance?

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:55 pm

gnome-keyring is there because wifi password prompts in network-manager do not work without it (in other words, when you select a network, it never asks for a password). if you are OK with the connection editor dialog (via "Network-Connections in the menu), then gnome-keyring can be removed.

otherwise, you can create a new menu entry with the "--password-store=basic %F" added to the google-chrome (and/or chromium) command (as was mentioned above).
Last edited by dolphin_oracle on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#20 Post by fehlix » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:59 pm

Mauser wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:47 pm
This key ring nonsense is a bug. Every time I open Chromium the key ring bug pops up. I click cancel and it pops up quickly. Only the second click cancels it. I tried about:config and it doesn't work as the window to change settings won't open up. How can I get rid of this annoyance?
If you not intent to store passwords, try this:
Right-click on Wisker Menu -> Edit Menu -> Internet -> Chomium
change Command to something like
chromium --password-store=basic %F
I.e. add the "--password-store=basic" option to the command.

I do have currently chromium not installed so cannot test,
whether this stops chromiuem from requesting a save place
to store it's encryption-key .
If that not stopping it, I might first install chromium,
to test the other procedure.
:snail:

Return to “Software / Configuration”