-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

keyring prompt

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: keyring prompt

#31 Post by Mauser » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:54 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 am
I'm seeing some scuttlebut elsewhere on the web about this keyring thing with chrome/chromium.

What some folks are saying is that the prompt gets triggered if you are using autologin. I don't know about that, so I thought I would ask here if anyone is using autologin.
I am not using any login. Google spies on me too much to begin with. :mad: I don't need Google to spy on me even more. :mad: I only use Chromium as a back up browser as Firefox is my main browser. :wink:

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#32 Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:10 am

Mauser wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:54 am
dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 am
I'm seeing some scuttlebut elsewhere on the web about this keyring thing with chrome/chromium.

What some folks are saying is that the prompt gets triggered if you are using autologin. I don't know about that, so I thought I would ask here if anyone is using autologin.
I am not using any login. Google spies on me too much to begin with. :mad: I don't need Google to spy on me even more. :mad: I only use Chromium as a back up browser as Firefox is my main browser. :wink:

I meant the MX system login.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#33 Post by Mauser » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:12 am

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:10 am

I meant the MX system login.
[/quote]

Oh, O.K. I don't use auto login. I have MX Linux set up so I must enter my password.

clicktician
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#34 Post by clicktician » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:39 pm

fehlix wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:36 am

If you have disables autlogin, i.e. you need type in your password, the libpam-gnomekeyring,
will automatically unlock your default login-keyring ( if keyring-password matchs login password).
Ah, that last sentence explains a lot.

Machines that leave my home never have autologin. They use the gnome keyring. And they have an encrypted folder for sensitive info.
I noticed the Chrome problem on all my boxes regardless if autologin was enabled or not -- AND regardless if I had already created a keyring or not. (Which Opera uses).

But my keyring password is never the same as my login password. So, that's why I was seeing the Chrome problem everywhere.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#35 Post by fehlix » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:10 pm

clicktician wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:39 pm
Machines that leave my home never have autologin. They use the gnome keyring. And they have an encrypted folder for sensitive info.
I noticed the Chrome problem on all my boxes regardless if autologin was enabled or not -- AND regardless if I had already created a keyring or not. (Which Opera uses).

But my keyring password is never the same as my login password.
See my other threat Gnome-keyring - unlocked:
You keyring-password can be and shall be complex and different.
The important part is to use a Login-keyring, which unlock the password-keyring on request.
clicktician wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:39 pm
So, that's why I was seeing the Chrome problem everywhere.
I assume this might have been not well enough communicated - and lot's of folk's don't know how to fix it.

Return to “Software / Configuration”