-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

MX Tools

ChrisUK
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

MX Tools

#1 Post by ChrisUK » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:25 am

(This might be the wrong sub-forum for this.)

Just to say that these are a nice set of apps now, an example...

I was messing about (testing out some kernels) the other day and my internal Wifi was no longer recognised. Rather than get the info I wanted (lsmod etc.) in the terminal, I thought that I'd use one of MX Tools, the MX Network Assistant. It took seconds for me to see that the wrong module had been blacklisted, and after just a single click to unblacklist and load the module... my Wifi was back, and survived a reboot to check.

I've also just noticed the MX Boot Options, which is a handy sort-of cut-down version of Grub Customiser (but with much less chance of messing up your system ;) )

So these tools are much appreciated.

(BTW, if you've time on your hands, you might want to look at flyback (It's coded in Python). It's no longer developed, but has spawned BackInTime and Timeshift amongst others. Maybe a simplified version would be good for an MX TimeMachine?) I'm aware there's already MX Tools that do a similar job, but this could perhaps be integrated into MX Updater to take a snapshot before applying updates? Only a suggestion, I know you are all busy enough as it is ;) )
Chris

MX 17 - Manjaro - LMDE

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: MX Tools

#2 Post by Jerry3904 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:20 pm

Nice to hear about Network Assistant, it doesn't get much love.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Redacted
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: MX Tools

#3 Post by Redacted » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 pm

I played with MX Boot Options today, and man is it fine.
I've always liked the scrolling text, but after using the Dandelion-MX theme, I've changed.
Kudos to the development team and the artist(s).
Great job.
What an enjoyable and easy to use distro!
MX 17.1

Return to “Software / Configuration”