-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Recommended Mail Notifier Applet / Program

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Recommended Mail Notifier Applet / Program

#1 Post by nathan2423 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:33 am

I use an array of six or seven different web-based and pop3 mail services, and I am wondering if there is a good way to consolidate my email checking in one place. At one time I uses to use Mailwasher in windows to do this, but I stopped doing that some years ago when I moved to linux and that program grew too many features (and costs) for my taste. Mailwasher wasn't just a notifier, but presented me a pretty efficient spreadsheet format of all my incoming email accounts, with sender / re section, and allowed me to tag or delete spam before going to the respective email programs and going to read or respond to the emails themselves.

Does anyone know or recommend a linux program / applet / service that would be good for doing that? I checked the repos and there's a pretty bewildering array of utilities, including an xfce panel applet. Many of those are just small notifiers, and I am wondering if there is one or more that stand head and shoulders above the others.

Thanks for any suggestions.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Recommended Mail Notifier Applet / Program

#2 Post by fehlix » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:52 am

nathan2423 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:33 am
I use an array of six or seven different web-based and pop3 mail services, and I am wondering if there is a good way to consolidate my email checking in one place. At one time I uses to use Mailwasher in windows to do this, but I stopped doing that some years ago when I moved to linux and that program grew too many features (and costs) for my taste. Mailwasher wasn't just a notifier, but presented me a pretty efficient spreadsheet format of all my incoming email accounts, with sender / re section, and allowed me to tag or delete spam before going to the respective email programs and going to read or respond to the emails themselves.

Does anyone know or recommend a linux program / applet / service that would be good for doing that? I checked the repos and there's a pretty bewildering array of utilities, including an xfce panel applet. Many of those are just small notifiers, and I am wondering if there is one or more that stand head and shoulders above the others.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I'm using claws-mail ( yes not thunderbird).
As it is extremly fast and can quickly check lots of accounts. You would
set for POP-accounts e.g. a lookup/refresh rate of 5 - 10 minutes.
And it shows new mails with the task-bar notification areas.
Latest Claws-mail version 3.16 is available from MXPI -> testrepo.
Another bonus with claws-mail: it comes with an extremly good "learning" bogofilter-plugin.
Just train it like selecet e.g 200 good ones, and e.g. 200 spam-mails, to train it,
it will filter out most of the spams correctly. It will learn/train further with
every email you selected as spam/or non-spam. I do an automatic move
to a extra local spam-folder with claws-mail, and do a quick manually check from time to time,
before deleting in one go the spam-folder content.
Any detailed question, let me know.

Alternativly use Thunderbird.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by nathan2423 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks for the suggestion fehlix -- I see that i haven't visited this "Mailwasher-alternative" question in several years, and there now appear to be several alternatives in the windows world as listed on this page:

https://www.techsupportalert.com/best-f ... -users.htm ( Popfile, Spambayes, K9). I suppose I can use one of these under wine, but it's possible I haven't looked into this for so long that there is now a linux alternative.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by fehlix » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:43 am

nathan2423 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:34 am
Thanks for the suggestion fehlix -- I see that i haven't visited this "Mailwasher-alternative" question in several years, and there now appear to be several alternatives in the windows world as listed on this page:
You don't need any wine-emulated spam-filter. First try bogo-filter, if you want more, run spamassassin
which is a professional-quality spam-filter on linux.
In addition to the bogo-filter plugin a claws-mail-spamassassin-plugin is also available to install.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by nathan2423 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:45 pm

thank you!

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by nathan2423 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:54 pm

One more comment: It looks like the author of Kshowmail was working on something to duplicate the main functionality of mailwasher in linux (spreadsheet format view incoming headers from multiple accounts before downloading them), but there's been no activity for 10+ years

http://www.linuxsoft.cz/en/sw_detail.php?id_item=1105

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by fehlix » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:23 pm

nathan2423 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:54 pm
One more comment: It looks like the author of Kshowmail was working on something to duplicate the main functionality of mailwasher in linux (spreadsheet format view incoming headers from multiple accounts before downloading them), but there's been no activity for 10+ years
Don't think that a spam-filter based an header only gives good filtering results.
mail-headers can too easily spoofed and faked.
Quote from bogofilter- sourceforge-site:
Bogofilter is a mail filter that classifies mail as spam or ham (non-spam)
by a statistical analysis of the message's header and content (body).
The program is able to learn from the user's classifications and corrections.
Bogofilter is or can be integrated with graphical mailers,
such as KDE's KMail, GNOME's Evolution or Claws Mail (formerly known as Sylpheed-Claws)...
The statistical technique is known as the Bayesian technique ...

Return to “Software / Configuration”