-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Gnome keyring bother and managing Services

boombaby
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Gnome keyring bother and managing Services

#1 Post by boombaby » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:08 am

Hello, Any...

After running MX-17.1 for a month or so without issues now I keep getting the Gnome Keyring thingy popping up when I start browser, then two more poppups as I connect to a website on the Internet. (To avoid using the keyring I just cancel each poppup.)

I do not know which program or setting (change) is responsible for initiating the poppup activity.

What I can say is that a change might have commenced a week or so after I switched over from the xfce desktop to using MATE desktop.

Today, in Control Centre, I used the "Startup Applications" to switch OFF the related Gnome keyring services. Here is the Screenshot of the final settings.

Then I rebooted (as a formality to confirm the "startup" aspect).

However when opening the browser the Gnome Keyring thingy popped up again.

Q.1. So why did turning OFF the settings not work?

Having worked with Mageia linux for quite a while I know there is a fantastic GUI tool (in their
Control Panel) to independently turn ON/OFF any service that is available.

When I looked for something similar in MX there does not appear to be such a GUI facility.

Q.2. Is there a GUI facility for managing the Services similarly?

I notice that in the Control Panel (within the MATE desktop) there is a KDE System Settings panel.

Q.3. Since MATE is based on Gnome can I use that KDE panel? Does it still function properly for MATE purposes?

Regards,
boombaby
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Gnome keyring bother and managing Services

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:36 am

What did it for me was when the popup comes to just hit enter. Not cancel, but leave empty and press enter.

There is some info about this somewhere on the forums if you search on gnome keyring.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Jerry3904 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:49 am

Also in the Users Manual

Alt-F1
Ctrl-F
keyring
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

boombaby
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by boombaby » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:52 pm

I'm not sure you've got the jist.

Yes; I read the Manual as in Menu > Applications > System Tools > MX Manual. I had also previously read posts about the Keyring, and now a post or two in the MX Forum.

The Gnome keyring poppup is requesting a setup of a default keyring. I don't want that. If I hit ENTER then I am setting up a default keyring with a blank password - and I don't want that. Also, I don't want the poppup to be "activated" at all either, and that's why I turned the related services OFF in the Startup Applications panel - which didn't fix it.

So, at the risk of being labelled whatever herein I need to repeat that part of my post that still remains relevant or unanswered so that someone might respond to what I am asking. Note, also, the 3 questions included therein.
Hello, Any...

After running MX-17.1 for a month or so without issues now I keep getting the Gnome Keyring thingy popping up when I start browser, then two more poppups as I connect to a website on the Internet. (To avoid using the keyring I just cancel each poppup.)

I do not know which program or setting (change) is responsible for initiating the poppup activity.

What I can say is that a change might have commenced a week or so after I switched over from the xfce desktop to using MATE desktop.

Today, in Control Centre, I used the "Startup Applications" to switch OFF the related Gnome keyring services. Here is the Screenshot of the final settings.

(Image remains in original post.)

Then I rebooted (as a formality to confirm the "startup" aspect).

However when opening the browser the Gnome Keyring thingy popped up again.

Q.1. So why did turning OFF the settings not work?

Having worked with Mageia linux for quite a while I know there is a fantastic GUI tool (in their
Control Panel) to independently turn ON/OFF any service that is available.

When I looked for something similar in MX there does not appear to be such a GUI facility.

Q.2. Is there a GUI facility for managing the Services similarly?

I notice that in the Control Panel (within the MATE desktop) there is a KDE System Settings panel.

Q.3. Since MATE is based on Gnome can I use that KDE panel? Does it still function properly for MATE purposes?

Regards,
boombaby

Regards,
boombaby

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by Eadwine Rose » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:05 pm

I had to press enter and create the keyring to get rid of the annoying thing. That was only one enter and from then on there were never any nagging screens anymore. So.. basically: why care if there is a keyring without a password? No one ever hacked my system or invaded it any other way, so.. *shrug*

I only had this issue with Skype though, nothing else in my list of software required it, so.. could be different there.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Jerry3904 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Nobody is labeling you anything, just trying to understand your long post and complicated situation. Sorry if our solution didn't match your needs.

You're asking about a mixture of MX, MATE and KDE, and we don't have a lot of experience with such a stew.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB

boombaby
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Post by boombaby » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:27 pm

"Stew"? (A gnome stew? A mate stew? He he.)

Can you answer any of the 3 questions? That would be a start. They are not "complex". At least, I don't think so, are they? (Oops, another question.)

Regards,

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Jerry3904 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Q1: stew question, no clue
Q2: here's what the Manual says:
If you later want to change or adjust the startup services you have two choices.
• a command-line tool called sysv-rc-conf is installed by default and must be run as root.
• a graphical tool called Boot-Up Manager (BUM) can be installed from the repos.
Q3: stew question, no clue

Others may well have more to say on 1 and 3

boombaby
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by boombaby » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Well, Stewie

Thanks for the tip on Q.2 directing me to the right place in the Manual. I guess pulling that tooth out didn't hurt too much, did it?

As far as your advice on Q.1 and Q.3 I'm not so sure I can work with those answers. Pretty aggressive waste of time though, wasn't it?

Still waiting if someone would like to contribute.

P.S.
As MX is about to slide up the list a bit further, and is about to pass it's Mother (Father?) - Debian - it might be worthwhile remembering that being a bit more generous and explanatory with answers will move MX up the list even faster, and keep it at the top a bit longer, or even permanently.

Still with Regards,
boombaby

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Your question was posted this morning. We are a collection of users and volunteers. Not everyone has all the answers and try to help as best they can. Most have regular jobs and are not always logged in to the forum. Give it some time and others will chime in perhaps including the primary developers and users with other experience.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Return to “Software / Configuration”