Welcome!
Important information
-- Required MX 15/16 Repository Changes
-- Information on torrent hosting changes
-- Information on MX15/16 GPG Keys
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

newbie help with software install

User avatar
galaxysurfer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:14 am

Re: newbie help with software install

#21

Post by galaxysurfer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:22 am

ok thanx i figured a missing piece was setting the right permissions. As I said i was doing a test run in virtualbox before I pave over my linuxmint hdd with mx17.

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 18742
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: newbie help with software install

#22

Post by Stevo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Shipping scripts/executables with the executable bit off seems to be the correct thing to do, though it may confuse beginners. That's how I see most of those available for download.

User avatar
arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1711
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:51 pm

Re: newbie help with software install

#23

Post by arjaybe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Thought I'd give it a try. Downloaded, set executable, installed required packages, clicked and ran install. Rebooted and ran setup. Whoops! You can either buy a license or try it for two weeks. Hmph. I'm not used to these Windows-style gotchas. Ran it on my data partitions - nothing found in almost 1,000,000 objects. Now, how to uninstall. Easy, click on the installer again and select uninstall. Reboot. (what is with all this rebooting?)

Analysis: Looks nice. Runs smoothly, although it took 1.25 hours to scan my data partitions. As with all the previous experiments (I do this every decade or so, just to see) I can't see any use in it. A good choice, though, for anyone who wants antivirus on Linux, and is willing to pay for it.
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

A thug state led by an overweening twat.

Green Comet

User avatar
Mauser
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1019
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: newbie help with software install

#24

Post by Mauser » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Hopefully one day Eset or another antivirus will be in the repository so I can install it with Synaptic. The command line is not a viable installation option for me.
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: newbie help with software install

#25

Post by fehlix » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Mauser wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 pm
Hopefully one day Eset or another antivirus will be in the repository so I can install it with Synaptic. The command line is not a viable installation option for me.
Just install ClamTK it's GUI for ClamAV available via MXPI / Synaptic.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

User avatar
Mauser
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1019
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: newbie help with software install

#26

Post by Mauser » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 pm

fehlix wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 pm
Mauser wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 pm
Hopefully one day Eset or another antivirus will be in the repository so I can install it with Synaptic. The command line is not a viable installation option for me.
Just install ClamTK it's GUI for ClamAV available via MXPI / Synaptic.
I have ClamTK already. I was looking for something better.
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Re: newbie help with software install

#27

Post by turtlebay777 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:48 pm

Mauser wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 pm
fehlix wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:23 pm
Mauser wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 pm
Hopefully one day Eset or another antivirus will be in the repository so I can install it with Synaptic. The command line is not a viable installation option for me.
Just install ClamTK it's GUI for ClamAV available via MXPI / Synaptic.
I have ClamTK already. I was looking for something better.
Have you tried Windows?

User avatar
fehlix
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: newbie help with software install

#28

Post by fehlix » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:34 am

Mauser wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 pm
I have ClamTK already. I was looking for something better.
Well, ClamTK can check with virustotal against 50++ av-scanner, which you won't find in most other avs.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

User avatar
Mauser
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1019
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: newbie help with software install

#29

Post by Mauser » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:21 pm

fehlix wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:34 am
Mauser wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 pm
I have ClamTK already. I was looking for something better.
Well, ClamTK can check with virustotal against 50++ av-scanner, which you won't find in most other avs.
Thanks, I was just looking to see if there is something better to come out in the future. There aren't any other antivirus programs that work. In the mean time I hope the Superman philosophy in Linux continues to protect us and that I don't come across any Kryptonite. :crossfingers:
I am command line illiterate. :confused:

User avatar
galaxysurfer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:14 am

Re: newbie help with software install

#30

Post by galaxysurfer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:33 am

Eset has built in anti malware as well. Not sure how that compares to ClamAV

Post Reply

Return to “Software / Configuration”