-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

newbie help with software install

galaxysurfer
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

newbie help with software install

#1 Post by galaxysurfer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:46 pm

hi,
Testing the waters of MXLinux on virtualbox currently before a direct install. I had previously used Linuxmint Cinnamon but the love is waning due to recent issues, Taking this opportunity to give something new & different a try. I had been installing ESET nod for linux but not sure how to fix it so it will correctly install on mx. On their site they mention needing gtk+ 2.6 or greater as a dependent. Is there a way for me to get the program working on mx17.1? I am not familiar with this desktop environment.

" ESET NOD32 Antivirus: * I'm using the 64 bit version
System requirements
Processor
architecture 32bit, 64bit AMD®, Intel®
System Debian and RedHat based distributions
(Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Fedora, Mandriva,
RedHat etc.)
kernel 2.6.x
GNU C Library 2.3 or newer
GTK+ 2.6 or newer
LSB 3.1 compatibility recommended
Memory
512 MB
Free disk space 100 MB"

This program file is an executable download. That is another difference from linuxmint. When I click on file it doesnt ask me if I want to execute & give me terminal prompt but rather for an app to open it. Not sure what I need to configure. Still suffering a case of moving stupids till I get the lay of the land with this distro. So far I am liking what I see!

Keep up the good work!

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: newbie help with software install

#2 Post by fehlix » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Can you point us where you got this file from?
Thanks
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Stevo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:47 pm

fehlix wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:53 pm
Welcome to the forum.
Can you point us where you got this file from?
Thanks
Probably directly from ESET.

A workaround to a script not running automatically is to first check it has the executable bit set: (right-click--Properties--Permissions). If that's good, then right-click in the folder where the file is located, open a terminal there, then enter

Code: Select all

./<file-name>
You can drag and drop the file into the terminal to avoid typing out its name, too, or use tab-completion.

GuiGuy
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by GuiGuy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Heads up!

ESET is a (paid for annually) antivirus program: MX does not need it - nor does any linux distro AFAIK.

Edit: Is the OP trying to advertise ESET?

turtlebay777
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by turtlebay777 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:38 pm

More likely the OP is a MS Windows power user who doesn't understand that antivirus is not any use in any Linux.

His/her claim to have been a Cinnamon Mint user does not hold water either, there have been numerous comments by Mint's experts and gurus about Linux not needing antivirus on their forums.

j2mcgreg
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by j2mcgreg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:39 pm

While it is true that on a stand alone linux machine anti-virus software is a waste of time, space and money, sometimes its use is a necessary courtesy to Windows users. For example:
-- when connecting to a Windows based lan via Samba;
-- when running a mail server
-- when an employer demands it (there are a lot of Microsoftie I.T. Directors out there that are really bean-counters in disguise)

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by Mauser » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 pm

As Linux becomes more popular the more an antivirus would be a good idea. At this point in time Linux users have been doing O.K. without an antivirus or using ClamAV or ClamTK. It would be wise to come out with an active scanning Linux antivirus especially since Microsoft is becoming more and more involved with Linux and in my opinion, not in a good way. This Superman attitude in the Linux community is going to bite us all in the backside one day. I suggested this on the Linuxquestions.org site and I mostly received in return mostly nasty wiseguy stupid comments. I don't expect the MX Linux developers to come out with one as they are busy here, but if anyone knows where to recommend developers to create one please let them know. Thanks.

Gordon Cooper
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#8 Post by Gordon Cooper » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Mauser wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:06 pm
As Linux becomes more popular the more an antivirus would be a good idea.
Agreed. Linux is not completely immune from virus attacks. The Linux structure and good operating procedures reduce the risk, but it is still possible to pick one up. In the long
term we will need some some form of antivirus.
Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
Primary OS : MX-17.1 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.
Dell9010, MX-17.1, Win7

tascoast
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#9 Post by tascoast » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 am

How does ClamTK perform, being available from Synaptic?

Like many Linux users, I tend to rely upon the wider community consensus for virus risk information.

That aside, I would expect many more people are compromised personally and financially by typical web activity and exposure to philshing and scamming through technologies such as telecommunications and direct coercion, manipulation and deceit. For these read romance scams, tax refund scams, cold calling and investment opportunities of dubious natures.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM, MX-16 RC1/MX14.04/MX-15.01/antiX16(64-bit)-Aspire One D255E 1.66GHz, 512KB cache, 1GB RAM-MX-15.01/W10

Mauser
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by Mauser » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:40 am

tascoast wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:37 am
How does ClamTK perform, being available from Synaptic?
I personally don't care for the way it performs but it's the only antivirus that works somewhat. It doesn't have active scanning.
Last edited by Mauser on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Software / Configuration”