-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Using Chrome Remote Desktop in MX17

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Using Chrome Remote Desktop in MX17

#11 Post by nathan2423 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:46 am

I am launching into this because I was previously using Teamviewer, which has decided that I am using it for business, which is not true, but which i don't care to argue about because I don't like whatever is going on that they are doing to monitor my usage. I am no fan of Google's privacy either, but I already use chrome and therefore they have all my passwords and credit cards already, so I figure why not try out chrome remote desktop rather than trust some third company that I have no clue who they are.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#12 Post by fehlix » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:06 am

nathan2423 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:46 am
I am launching into this because I was previously using Teamviewer...
... rather than trust some third company that I have no clue who they are.
Well, AnyDesk was started from the chief developers left teamviewer shortly after it was acquired by a foreign 3rd party company.
Since teamviewer version 13 I have seen many reports for getting blocked the free version of teamviewer including my self.
I'm running anydesk now more than 2 years trouble free on different linux and other OSs privately for occasionally help of family members or friends mostly on linux.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by nathan2423 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Thank you Fehlix!

I am downloading and testing Anydesk now. But immediately I don't see a feature such as Teamviewer or Chrome Desktop Remote to register the computer on a list and be able to access that list remotely from other locations.

What I am seeing looks like a single-use help-desk style approach with live people on both ends trading access numbers.

Am I correct about that or can you set up multiple computers and then choose from a list?

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by nathan2423 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:25 pm

OK it looks like there are no free "accounts" to which you log into and see a list of all computers on your account, but each computer has a unique number, and as soon as you enter that number once in your remote computer, it stays there and you can use that to find the other computer in the future. Sounds like that should work as long as those numbers don't change over time

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#15 Post by fehlix » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:37 pm

nathan2423 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:25 pm
OK it looks like there are no free "accounts" to which you log into and see a list of all computers on your account, but each computer has a unique number, and as soon as you enter that number once in your remote computer, it stays there and you can use that to find the other computer in the future. Sounds like that should work as long as those numbers don't change over time
To reset the ID you would need to clear the files within ~/.anydesk.
You can setup unattended access which would be password and connection-key protected.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by nathan2423 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:07 pm

Fehlix thank you again for your recommendation of Anydesk. It seems to work well once set up, but I am having a continuing problem getting it set up on new computers. I go into security and give it a code for unattended access, but no matter what I do from the computer I am in front of, when I connect to the remote, it will not automatically approve my incoming session. There appears to be some trick in setting up unattended which is eluding me so far. (Just post this as a warning to others who read this not to accept at face value that remote access is set up, without testing it first)

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#17 Post by fehlix » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:00 pm

nathan2423 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:07 pm
I go into security and give it a code for unattended access, but no matter what I do from the computer I am in front of, when I connect to the remote, it will not automatically approve my incoming session.
Make sure that you see a green connection icon which shows availablity of the remote pc.
For unattended access you might enable show "Allow always" instead of "Allow only if AnyDesk windows is open" on the remote PC.
In addtion and for security reaason it might be advisable to enable access control list and add you AnyDeskID‘s
to the ACL‘s on the remote pc and also set connection password.
Double check the the localID is setup corrrectly on the remote PC ACL's.
It might also helpful to enable „show remote cursor“.
I have just installed latest debian version 2.97 and tested unattended access
with a „remote“ virtualbox pc on the 2nd monitor without any issue :popcorn:
After installation a anydesk service should run and tray icon shall be visible after reboot / login.

See my settings here as a pictures:
anydesk-settings.png
anydesk-settings-display.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#18 Post by nathan2423 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:09 am

Fehlix I wanted to report back and say that today I noticed that my Anydesk installations were reporting a new version available. I downloaded and reinstalled the very latest version, and now I am having no trouble setting an unattended password, and all is working well. Thanks to you again!

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#19 Post by fehlix » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:43 am

nathan2423 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:09 am
Fehlix I wanted to report back and say that today I noticed that my Anydesk installations were reporting a new version available. I downloaded and reinstalled the very latest version, and now I am having no trouble setting an unattended password, and all is working well. Thanks to you again!
Yes, they fixed some issues shortly after the last released version.
Good that it now works for you.
If you use dark thme, I have some tweaks to fix, as it does not show well when chossing dark desktop theme.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Post by nathan2423 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks very much - so far not using that, but if I do I will come back - thanks!

Return to “Software / Configuration”