-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Using Chrome Remote Desktop in MX17

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Using Chrome Remote Desktop in MX17

#1 Post by nathan2423 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:19 am

Is anyone successfully using Chrome Remote Desktop in MX-17 on a regular basis? What I mean by "regular basis" is that I want to add my computer to a list that will show up when i log into remote desktop from another computer, but I can't figure out how to do that.

I have installed the chrome extension (by downloaded the deb after it prompted me) but when I click on the Chrome Remote Desktop app and I get the popup box, there is no way to "add my computer" to the list in the "My Computers" section.

Can anyone using this successfully in MX17 provide a hint?

thanks

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Using Chrome Remote Desktop in MX17

#2 Post by nathan2423 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:26 am

I see this article about setting up a command to run a service, but I am not sophisticated enough to know whether this is current information or how to do in MX-Linux

https://www.everything-linux-101.com/ho ... for-linux/

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by nathan2423 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Most of the articles I have found are as much as five or years or more old. Here is a thread that is a little more recent: https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comment ... me_remote/

But before I dive into experimenting with that I'd still like to know if anyone else already has his figured out in MX17 -- thanks.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by nathan2423 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Here is where my linux knowledge lets me down. The advice is:

Code: Select all

Step 3.5: Now, another thing you need to search and take note of is what your session manager is called and where it is located. The "session manager" is a wrapper for your "session" (a launcher for your launcher, if you will, and one reason why this is difficult to understand).

For example:

I use lightDM (yes despite having Linux Mint) which is basically the default SM for Ubuntu users 12.04+

-- This is the location of my SM (lightdm-session) and the files which are necessary in this folder highlighted, their contents are NOT ADVISED TO BE TAMPERED copy the location with the name.

This is how your ".chrome-remote-desktop-session" file inside /home/YOUR_HOME_NAME should look after locating and noting the files.

Copy pasta?

exec /usr/sbin/lightdm-session "startxfce4"
but when I look in my usr/sbin/ directory I don't see a file named lightdm-session. (And of course I really don't know that MX uses Lightdm as its session manager).

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by nathan2423 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:15 pm

It looks like the official Chrome instructions are here:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... ktop&hl=en

But implementing requires knowledge of how MX sessions operate:

Code: Select all

Step 1: Download and set up Chrome Remote Desktop
Download the Chrome Remote Desktop app.

Step 2: Install the Debian package for the host components
Download the 64-bit Debian Package here.

Step 3: Create a virtual desktop session
If you have Ubuntu 12.04, skip to Step 4.

Look in /usr/share/xsessions/ for the .desktop file for your preferred desktop environment.
For example, Cinnamon has a file named "cinnamon.desktop" with the following command: gnome-session --session=cinnamon
Create a file called .chrome-remote-desktop-session in your home directory with the following content:
exec /usr/sbin/lightdm-session "<YOUR_EXEC_COMMAND>"
Replace <YOUR_EXEC_COMMAND> with the command at the end of your .desktop file:
In the example for Cinnamon, the correct command is exec /usr/sbin/lightdm-session 'gnome-session --session=cinnamon'
Unity desktops require some additional code. The full command is DESKTOP_SESSION=ubuntu XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/$(id -u) exec /usr/sbin/lightdm-session 'gnome-session --session=ubuntu'
Save the file called ".chrome-remote-desktop-session"​.
Step 4: Allow remote connections
On your computer, open Chrome.
In the address bar at the top, type chrome://apps, and press Enter.
Click Chrome Remote Desktop Chrome Remote Desktop App.
Under "My Computers," click Get started.
Click Enable remote connections.
Enter a PIN and re-type the PIN. Then click OK.
Dismiss the confirmation dialog.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by nathan2423 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:05 am

While waiting for input from others I went ahead and attempted to follow the google instructions.

I created a filed called .chrome-remote-desktop-session in my home directory with contents:

exec /usr/sbin/lightdm-session 'startxfce4'

This produced the desired result of adding an "enable remote access" option, but when attempting to do so it simply times out and doesn't work.

"Enabling remote connections for this computer" spins for a while and then times out

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by nathan2423 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:12 am

The error code when it fails is "Failed to start remote access service."

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by nathan2423 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:21 am

Here is someone who has followed exactly my path, it appears, but I do not see a solution:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/506 ... th-lightdm#

nathan2423
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by nathan2423 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:58 pm

Well this is far from optimum but since I seem to be the only one interested in this, here is what I have concluded I am going to have to live with:

Following the advice pasted below, it's possible to set up chrome remote desktop to use an LXDE session. The real problem with that is that you're not really remote controlling the existing desktop, this starts a new session, but it does give access to files and programs. Setting CRD up this way let's you enable remote access from other computers, and adds them to a list so that you can find and navigate to them in a way very similar to Teamviewer:

This following advice comes from here: https://superuser.com/questions/778028/ ... nome-14-04

The chrome-remote-desktop application works just fine with linux generally and Ubuntu specifically. It however does NOT play nice with LightDM and Unity. Ubuntu Bug #1274013, and the related bug in comment #3 shed some light on this: gnome-session is broken without 3d acceleration.

To resolve this I added LXDE to my ubuntu installation on my desktop:

sudo apt-get install lxde
I still am able to use the standard Unity Desktop when accessing my desktop locally, but the I have the LXDE desktop to use via chrome-remote-desktop remotely.

This is accomplished by creating (or altering) the ~/.chrome-remote-desktop-session file to read

exec /usr/bin/startlxde
Then, to shutdown and restart the Chromoting service, run from terminal

sudo service chrome-remote-desktop restart
Now attempt to remote in from another computer. This should start a virtual session in LXDE even if the remote computer is currently logged in under Unity/LightDM.

IF anyone else in the future figures out how to make it work properly I hope they will post here. There is also on the top of the page linked above some much more elaborate advice which may really provide the key, but it seems much more complex and I have not yet attempted it.

fehlix
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#10 Post by fehlix » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:16 am

Have you considered to use a trouble free alternative which works out of the box like for example AnyDesk,
which is free of charge for private use available for linux natively.

Return to “Software / Configuration”