-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Migration from another distro keeping /home folder

Kazlu
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Migration from another distro keeping /home folder

#1 Post by Kazlu » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Hello,

Following a hardware failure, I am planning to reinstall an OS on a computer. It had Xubuntu 14.04 and I would like to install MX Linux on it - it's the last on my computers that wasn't running on MX :)

I have a backup of my /home folder (my data is on another device) and I would like to get back as many of my config files as possible to save time in recustomizing my OS (wallpaper, theme, desktop panel, software configurations, custom launchers, etc.). I have thought of several scenarios but I am not sure of the consequences they would have or what would be advised to do in my situation. That is why I need some help! The trickiest part probably: I was using Xfce with openbox and I don't know how to get this up and running right...

Here are the scenarios I thought of:

Scenario A:
- Install MX on a freshly formatted partition;
- Install additional software (including openbox);
- Using a live distro, copy my backed up /home folder in the partition, overwriting existing files.

Scenario B:
- From inside MX, copy my backed up /home folder in the partition, overwriting existing files.

Scenario C:
- Using a live distro, delete the /home folder and replace it with my backed up /home folder.

Scenario D:
- Using a live distro, copy my backed up /home folder in the partition, overwriting existing files;
- Install additional software (including openbox).

Scenario E:
- From inside MX, copy my backed up /home folder in the partition, overwriting existing files;

Scenario F:
- Using a live distro, delete the /home folder and replace it with my backed up /home folder;

Scenario G:
- Format a partition and copy my backed up /home folder in it;
- Install MX on a that partition;

Any thought on what would be the best solution in my situation?

Bonus question: I am planning to upgrade later another computer running MX-15 to a more recent MX Linux version. Does this change anything on the recommended scenario?

Thanks and have a good day!

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Migration from another distro keeping /home folder

#2 Post by Adrian » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:52 pm

There's a "preserve /home" checkbox, that's probably the easiest way to install and preserve /home (even if it's on root partition) make sure you don't change the root partition type since that would trigger a reformat I think (and in general be careful and read the prompts). It's also a good idea to have a backup before in case something goes wrong (good to hear you have one already), but from what I know this is a pretty reliable feature of the installer that we had since MEPIS (since 2003 or so).

If you preserve /home some few options might be overwritten but I think most of the stuff should stay as it is.

Kazlu
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Migration from another distro keeping /home folder

#3 Post by Kazlu » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:35 am

Hello,

Thanks for the hint. I'll do that when I finish repairing my computer and let you know about the results.

Good day to you all.

Return to “Software / Configuration”