-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Image Viewer default

Auro Kumar Sahoo
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Image Viewer default

#1 Post by Auro Kumar Sahoo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:01 am

Although the default image viewer is a great software, and has many more functionality and even preview raw format and allowed to edit and save it, i find that its very slow in drawing raw format . Its very fast to draw and display. jpeg, or .png but in RAW (.nef) its very slow.
I tried geeque another image viewer and its light weight and more responsive.
May i request to give a look into default image viewer and spped it up Or may change to geeque in next release, as geeque is gtk based it will integrate better than gwenview(which is the best image viwer and some what editor and organiser in world of GNU/Linux)

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Image Viewer default

#2 Post by Eadwine Rose » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:23 am

You can easily change the default :)

Right click on a file you want to open, open with, open with other application, select the one you want in the new window, and check "use as default for this kind of file".

Everything with that extension now opens with your chosen application.
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon 14-3-2018 * 4.15.0-1-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.12.3 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GF GT640-1GD5-L NVIDIA 384.130 * AMD Proc. Athl II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S An * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncM P2250 * HP F2280

cyrilus31
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by cyrilus31 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:02 am

Auro Kumar Sahoo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:01 am
Although the default image viewer is a great software, and has many more functionality and even preview raw format and allowed to edit and save it, i find that its very slow in drawing raw format . Its very fast to draw and display. jpeg, or .png but in RAW (.nef) its very slow.
I tried geeque another image viewer and its light weight and more responsive.
May i request to give a look into default image viewer and spped it up Or may change to geeque in next release, as geeque is gtk based it will integrate better than gwenview(which is the best image viwer and some what editor and organiser in world of GNU/Linux)
I open a thread in french forum about nikon raw image viewer.
Geeqie is the best I found by far so it's indeed a good choice.
Follow Eadwine advice it's quite easy.

chrispop99
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by chrispop99 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:45 am

During the development of MX-17, a lot of thought and testing went into providing the best image viewer that met a list of criteria. One thing that was included in that list was the ability to perform basic editing such as cropping and re-sizing, and unfortunately Geeqie is unable to do that natively.

It is therefore very unlikely to be made the default, although it's good to know about its fast RAW performance.

Chris
Test machines:
32-bit non-PAE - Thinkpad T41, 1.6GHz Pentium M, 1GB RAM.
32-bit PAE - DELL Latitude D610, 1.73GHz Pentium M, 2GB RAM.
64-bit - Lenovo T61, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
64-bit - Gigabyte Z77P-D3, Intel i3-3220, GeForce 8400 GS, 4GB PC3-12800.

Return to “Software / Configuration”