-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Alternatives to Checkinstall

roadapathy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Alternatives to Checkinstall

#1 Post by roadapathy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 pm

Is the past, I have always used Checkinstall to create a deb package. I have no idea how to do this any other way. Lately, it does not seem to work for packages that have always worked for me before.

What other methods can create .deb files so that whatever I compile and install can later be easily removed.

Thanks!

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Alternatives to Checkinstall

#2 Post by Stevo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:54 pm

roadapathy wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 pm
Is the past, I have always used Checkinstall to create a deb package. I have no idea how to do this any other way. Lately, it does not seem to work for packages that have always worked for me before.

What other methods can create .deb files so that whatever I compile and install can later be easily removed.

Thanks!
The other, better method is to properly package it with the Debian tools, but that requires some more work and editing files.

roadapathy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by roadapathy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:06 pm

I googled some but none of them are working and I don't know if that's a problem with something inside MX Linux or the app itself.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:40 pm

What application is it? Does any other Debian-based distro or PPA have it and its sources available?
I googled some but none of them are working and I don't know if that's a problem with something inside MX Linux or the app itself.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this. The Debian packaging tools work as long as the /debian folder is set up correctly and has the right information.

roadapathy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#5 Post by roadapathy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 pm

I've tried to compile Emerald, Openspades (great free game, btw), SDL2 graphics library, and some others. All of these except for Emerald I have compiled before many times and it worked. I'm trying to install other versions of Checkinstall to see if that fixes it. I suspect that it's Checkinstall or Cmake version updates that didn't jive with MX.

rich
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by rich » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Emerald's in the repository, you need different version/compilation options?

edit - well, it's in 17.1 at least
MX 17.1 Dell Inspiron N5110

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by Stevo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 pm

SDL2's in the repos, too. I think we have a newer version in the MX 17 test repo, too. I'll look at the options for OpenSpades.

We have the same 0.8.14 version of Emerald also built for MX 15 main. You might think it's outdated, but it matches the release of our compiz-reloaded Compiz branch.

If you provide some of the error messages you're getting with your FTBFS (Failure To Build From Source), we can often point out what's missing.

roadapathy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Post by roadapathy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:45 pm

No, I know these are available through the repository. The idea is to compile a newer version with -O3 -march=native for better system performance. Games, video editing, everything.

roadapathy
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#9 Post by roadapathy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:46 pm

I think people forget how powerful Linux is. You can compile everything to your precise CPU/GPU and reach a higher performance. You can't do that on Windows, generally speaking. I'm trying to take full advantage of that.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by Stevo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Well, you can pass those flags onto the compiler in the deb package builds, too. You just have to make your version higher in the debian/changelog file so stock versions won't upgrade over yours--since yours is for personal use, you can just edit the first stanza.

There's some practically automatic way to rebuild Debian packages with apt-file to accomplish your goals, too. A web search will no doubt turn up the recipe.

Return to “Software / Configuration”