Vivaldi & H.264/MP4 (MP3 too I think) & libffmpeg.so

colin_b

Re: Vivaldi & H.264/MP4 (MP3 too I think) & libffmpeg.so

#21 Post by colin_b »

fehlix wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:46 pm Would this make it play for opera:

Code: Select all

sudo -v; curl -Lr1078- vvld.in/lm64 | sudo tar xJ -C / --wildcards \*libffmpeg\.so --xform 's,.*/,usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/,'
:puppy:
Fehlix, you've cracked it!

:celebrate:

Running the above code makes it a simple task to get Opera to play all videos.

:number1:

Gerson

#22 Post by Gerson »

Great, finally a solution that does WORK; now I'll have Opera as the default.
Thank you. :number1:
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

colin_b

#23 Post by colin_b »

Here is the code for installing libffmpeg.so onto Slimjet based on Fehlix's code tweak.

sudo -v; curl -Lr1078- vvld.in/lm64 | sudo tar xJ -C / --wildcards \*libffmpeg\.so --xform 's,.*/,opt/slimjet/,'
Tested and works.

As a suggestion, would it be possible for these codes to be utilised by the codec installer?

Suggested method of operation:

Click install button.

Run code something like...

If Vivaldi installed then run curl -Lr1078- vvld.in/lm64 | tar xJ -C ~ --wildcards \*libffmpeg\.so --xform 's,.*/,.local/lib/vivaldi/,'

If Opera installed then run sudo -v; curl -Lr1078- vvld.in/lm64 | sudo tar xJ -C / --wildcards \*libffmpeg\.so --xform 's,.*/,usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/,'

If Slimjet installed then run sudo -v; curl -Lr1078- vvld.in/lm64 | sudo tar xJ -C / --wildcards \*libffmpeg\.so --xform 's,.*/,opt/slimjet/,'

This would allow these browsers to run h.264 after a simple click of a button.

I hope my code suggestion makes some sense. The last time I programmed I used Qbasic.

Number3Pencils

#24 Post by Number3Pencils »

Worked for me too, and I was one of the original squeaky wheels behind this question. Thanks fehlix, you're the MVP.

sunrat

#25 Post by sunrat »

colin_b wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:51 pm...
Run code something like...

If Vivaldi installed then run curl -Lr1078- vvld.in/lm64 | tar xJ -C ~ --wildcards \*libffmpeg\.so --xform 's,.*/,.local/lib/vivaldi/,'
I think that one is only going to work if you run it from your $HOME directory.
It was always just about placing a version of libffmpeg.so that supports H.264 in a place where the browser can find it. Probably more ways to skin this cat. :lion:

We should all be advocating the use of open codecs on the web rather than having to hack ways of playing these proprietary ones. All hail AV1 ! ;)

fehlix
Developer

#26 Post by fehlix »

sunrat wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:16 am I think that one is only going to work if you run it from your $HOME directory.
man tar says:
-C, --directory=DIR :: Change to DIR before performing any operations.
==> "-C ~" = "--directory=$HOME"
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

sunrat

#27 Post by sunrat »

So it does @fehlix! Must clean my glasses. :)

fehlix
Developer

#28 Post by fehlix »

colin_b wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:51 pm If Vivaldi installed then run ...
To unify the above and to have it available system-wide for all users:

# Vivaldi
sudo -v; curl -Lr1078- vvld.in/lm64 | sudo tar xJ -C / --wildcards \*libffmpeg\.so --xform 's,.*/,opt/vivaldi/lib/,'

# Opera 
sudo -v; curl -Lr1078- vvld.in/lm64 | sudo tar xJ -C / --wildcards \*libffmpeg\.so --xform 's,.*/,usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/,'

# Slimjet 
sudo -v; curl -Lr1078- vvld.in/lm64 | sudo tar xJ -C / --wildcards \*libffmpeg\.so --xform 's,.*/,opt/slimjet/,'
EDIT:
If you keep the system-wide version updated, don't forget to remove the version placed in $HOME/.local, as the later has a higher precedence, to reduce confusion just in case.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

colin_b

#29 Post by colin_b »

When I used Windows many years ago the browser I used was Opera.

When I moved to Linux I installed Opera and everything worked fine except from videos on certain websites like the BBC. Some YouTube videos were also affected. I simply received the message that Flash was not installed, even though it was. I switched over to Firefox and the videos played without problem. I was baffled. In the end I grudgingly stuck with Firefox.

It was only a few months ago that I heard of the libffmpeg.so requirement. It was only after finding this out that I found numerous forum posts all over the web wondering what's wrong with video playback on Chromium based browsers. This is a significant problem, and its solution is not obvious.

The above mentioned methods of installing the files into browsers is the first time I've seen a simple way of addressing the problem - enter text in terminal, enter password, file installed, life has one less problem :happy:

What I was suggesting with my earlier poor attempt at demonstrating code is that a second button is placed on the MX codec installer. It is marked something like "Enable Flash in Opera, Vivaldi and Slimjet". When the button is clicked a script checks which browser(s) is installed, and it then runs the code to install libffmpeg.so for this / these browser(s). The installation details could be displayed in the terminal.

This would save newbies a lot of head scratching, and it would be incredibly convenient for anyone wanting to update an already installed libffmpeg.so.

I hope this makes sense.

handy

#30 Post by handy »

Good idea. :)
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Return to “Software / Configuration”