Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[SOLVED] Downgrade/upgrade Thunar

Message
Author
User avatar
yonosoyesa
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:47 am

[SOLVED] Downgrade/upgrade Thunar

#1 Post by yonosoyesa » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:40 am

I love Thunar and its customs actions: I have to work with hundreds of files and I really need my custom actions constantly.
Thunar 1.6.12 has some bugs moving or working with hundreds of files: ghost files, batch renaming problems, no icon refreshing... they make me crazy. This is the only one reason I don't use MXLinux, that I miss a lot.

For me the last reliable Thunar was 1.6.3.

Mint Xfce 18.0 (the system that I'm using nowadays) includes their own Thunar version patched by Mint team (1.6.10-3mint1) that works properly. Later they upgraded to version 1.6.12 from Ubuntu and it started to fail (so I have Thunar upgrades blocked in my system).

Now the brand new Xubuntu 18.04 updates Thunar to 1.6.15. I tested it and it seems that this version of Thunar works properly again.

My question: Is there any way in MX 17 to downgrade Thunar to 1.6.3 or upgrade Thunar to 1.6.15?

I don't want to wait until MX 18 is out...
Last edited by yonosoyesa on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stsoh
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:11 am

Re: Downgrade/upgrade Thunar

#2 Post by stsoh » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:46 am

if u r a experience linux user, not a n00b.
u can upgrade 1.6.15 thru sid, i've upgraded long ago plus many betas to release.
be sure u know what u r doing, always have a snapshot backup if u dun want lose all. :happy:
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo(MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (min/max: 1203/2700 MHz), 8Gb RAM (800 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.

User avatar
Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 22227
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 am

Re: Downgrade/upgrade Thunar

#3 Post by Jerry3904 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:16 am

yonosoyesa wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:40 am
I love Thunar and its customs actions: I have to work with hundreds of files and I really need my custom actions constantly.
Thunar 1.6.12 has some bugs moving or working with hundreds of files: ghost files, batch renaming problems, no icon refreshing... they make me crazy. This is the only one reason I don't use MXLinux, that I miss a lot.

For me the last reliable Thunar was 1.6.3.

Mint Xfce 18.0 (the system that I'm using nowadays) includes their own Thunar version patched by Mint team (1.6.10-3mint1) that works properly. Later they upgraded to version 1.6.12 from Ubuntu and it started to fail (so I have Thunar upgrades blocked in my system).

Now the brand new Xubuntu 18.04 updates Thunar to 1.6.15. I tested it and it seems that this version of Thunar works properly again.

My question: Is there any way in MX 17 to downgrade Thunar to 1.6.3 or upgrade Thunar to 1.6.15?

I don't want to wait until MX 18 is out...
Thanks for this post. I don't believe we've seen such problems reported here, though I have seen occasional comments on the Xfce Forum. We can certainly take a look at it and see what is possible.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

User avatar
timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:05 pm

Re: Downgrade/upgrade Thunar

#4 Post by timkb4cq » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:19 am

1.6.15 is in Buster and looks trivial to build for MX-17. Should have it up in Testing soon.
edit: It's up in the testing repo now.

One small oddity, to test I installed the debs with dpkg. thunar -V reported 1.6.15 but the Help -> About dialog still showed version 1.6.12 until after a logout/login. Thunar must leave something in memory after it closes...
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

User avatar
yonosoyesa
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:47 am

Re: Downgrade/upgrade Thunar

#5 Post by yonosoyesa » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:21 am

Thanks a lot. At the moment it installed with no problems. In a few days I'll test it thoroughly. Expect feedback. :crossfingers:

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9066
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: Downgrade/upgrade Thunar

#6 Post by dolphin_oracle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:44 am

timkb4cq wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:19 am
1.6.15 is in Buster and looks trivial to build for MX-17. Should have it up in Testing soon.
edit: It's up in the testing repo now.

One small oddity, to test I installed the debs with dpkg. thunar -V reported 1.6.15 but the Help -> About dialog still showed version 1.6.12 until after a logout/login. Thunar must leave something in memory after it closes...
likely because thunar is running the desktop too, and doesn't change unless you login/logout or otherwise restart the desktop.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
yonosoyesa
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:47 am

Re: [SOLVED] Downgrade/upgrade Thunar

#7 Post by yonosoyesa » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Thunar 1.6.15 (from testing repo) tested: Works like a charm. Now I can work with MXLinux again. Wonderful!

Thank you very much. :number1:

User avatar
Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 15966
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Re: Downgrade/upgrade Thunar

#8 Post by Stevo » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:49 pm

stsoh wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:46 am
if u r a experience linux user, not a n00b.
u can upgrade 1.6.15 thru sid, i've upgraded long ago plus many betas to release.
be sure u know what u r doing, always have a snapshot backup if u dun want lose all. :happy:
We don't recommend that a user add upstream repos to a stable install, especially when the package is as easily backported as Thunar. That should be the very last resort.

I have the sources from a PPA for Thunar 1.8, but haven't opened them up yet. It might require xfce 4.13...

User avatar
asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 3094
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:37 am

Re: Downgrade/upgrade Thunar

#9 Post by asqwerth » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:54 am

Stevo wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:49 pm
stsoh wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:46 am
if u r a experience linux user, not a n00b.
u can upgrade 1.6.15 thru sid, i've upgraded long ago plus many betas to release.
be sure u know what u r doing, always have a snapshot backup if u dun want lose all. :happy:
We don't recommend that a user add upstream repos to a stable install, especially when the package is as easily backported as Thunar. That should be the very last resort.

I have the sources from a PPA for Thunar 1.8, but haven't opened them up yet. It might require xfce 4.13...
Thunar 1.8 needs xfce 4.13 upwards, according to the bottom of this page: https://andreldm.com/2018/06/06/thunar- ... lease.html
While moving to Gtk+ 3 it was necessary to replace parts of the Thunar Plugin API (thunarx). It means that to update to Thunar 1.8.0 one should also update all installed thunar-plugins and xfdesktop to their latest versions, see the compability matrix for more details.
The compatibility matrix linked to also indicates Thunar from 1.7 onwards needs 4.13+
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

User avatar
timkb4cq
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 4304
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:05 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Downgrade/upgrade Thunar

#10 Post by timkb4cq » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Thunar 1.6.15 also fixes a hanging problem I've had copying folders over from a samba share.
Ordinarily I would move this to main since it fixes two bugs - but since it's an integral part of the desktop I would appreciate a little more testing first to make sure there are no reversions or other problems.
MSI 970A-G43 MB, AMD FX-6300 (six core), 16GB RAM, GeForce 730, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB

Post Reply

Return to “Software / Configuration”