How to boot an ISO from grub menu? READ POST 1. SOLVED

Richard

Re: How to boot an ISO from grub menu?

#11 Post by Richard »

NOTE: See the first post in this thread for the working stanza for MX-Workbench.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

dyfi

Re: How to boot an ISO from grub menu? READ POST 1. SOLVED

#12 Post by dyfi »

@ Richard, there is a Debian package that will do all the hard work for you, it's:- "grub-imageboot". I've used it in the past for Clonezilla from grub but not recently. Doubt that persistence would work though.

Richard

#13 Post by Richard »

@dyfi,
Thanks.
I'll take a look at it soon.
[The lights just went out, so it's going to take awhile. :) ]

Got it downloaded, now to read up on it.

Richard

#14 Post by Richard »

2 points

1. So, this works well. (See the first post for the how to)
Only problem is that it wants to persist, and reads all the persistence setup menus,
then can't figure where to store the information.

Does anyone have any idea on how to stop it from reading all the persistence menus?
And just open up the the Workbench desktop?

2. Just watched Dolphin_Oracle's video on MX Workbench and how to incorporate
all the parts into your very own spin of MX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwLz2vLc_qg
My current snapshot of my laptop is nearing 3 GB, so I might not have enough room.
4 GB on FAT32 is hard limit for the Easy2Boot multiboot tool that I use for testing/installing
from a 16 or 32 GB USB.
The video explains how you can add the utilities you desire and add or remove things
from the Custom Toolbox menu that Adrian created to build the MX Workbench. Maybe
I don't need everything. Some might be handy to avoid having to reboot the computer
to get a special tool. Nice idea.

anticapitalista
Developer

#15 Post by anticapitalista »

If you don't want the menus to show up, remove the word menus from the grub entry.
Also, on my Intel box I had to also remove the word nomodesetting.

You can't run persistence with fromiso
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Richard

#16 Post by Richard »

OK, thanks, anti, I'll do that.
I had tried removing menus but it refused to boot, so that's what was missing.
I prefer this method because it uses less of my limitd SSD space.

[NOTE: After experiencing both methods, I think I actually will prefer the Frugal Persistence.
With Frugal I can change and add things as I wish and it persists. Direct grub boot doesn't.
YMMV. I'm glad I tried them both. Now to see where to save some SSD space. ]

If one has the room, the frugal install is perhaps easier to setup, a la Dolphin_Oracle's video:
»»»»»antiX (and MX) frugal installs (with grub entry)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZGTBUW3bnA

The frugal install works very nice. It even creates the stanza for the MX171 grub menu.

After the frugal install...have to get back outside the frugal to MX171. More later...

fehlix
Developer

#17 Post by fehlix »

@Richard, you have now managed to grub-booting from a MX iso! Excellent!! OK, still without persistance, though.
Now the next logical step would be to put persistence into the game.
Well we could now make a "automated" frugal install as offered through the menu.
What I rather prefer would be to go straight from the iso-boot
to manual-frugal (iso)-boot with persistence. Why? It's just fun to have all the parameters bdev, buuid, pdev, puuid etc in place.
And it's easy as the iso-boot-grub entry would need only get slight modifications to run a
persistence enable manual-frugal boot. And if a another new ISO's comes allong,
either a remastered or a new updated release ISO, we just can repeat the same simple steps again.
We could have the manual-frugal (iso)- anywhere e.g. sitting just beside the same iso it's base on.

@Richard, why not going through the simple steps involved by writing /exchanging some PM's.
And when we are happy with it we post here our little iso-boot, manual-frugal-(iso) boot exercise
with reusable and “ready” to use grub-entries.
The idea would be kind of educational how-to and potential reusable examples, which would also shine some light into the magic of a frugal-install. As I've done quite a lot of such bootings ( since MX14) I'd need to tidy up a bit but would be great if we can prepare some examples . but rather let's go through via some PM's and publish when ready here. ttfn :fox:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Richard

#18 Post by Richard »

Thanks, Fehlix.

I have removed the grub booting stanza from my computer in favor of a grub install of MX-Workbench.
As you mentioned it is much more useful. I started this mainly from curiosity. Several years ago on sidux, now siduction, it was easy to boot a new release and install to hard disk. At that time there were no USBs easily available here and they were fairly expensive.

This is actually my first attempt at a frugal install in a long time. Had never needed or realized the benefits, I suppose.

I wrote most all of my notes here in this post. A sort of scratch pad.

Yes, I will pull all the text out and organize it better. If you will do the same, we can compare notes.
I still have some questions that I'm sure you will have some answers for.

You seem to have a much better understanding of the process. I'm reasonably happy with what I've learned, but I'm sure there are many things more to learn from the process. Automating the process is an interesting idea, which will make it more accessible to newer arrivals.

Regards.

PS: I've been adding my notes to the post #1 where I came to the conclusion that Frugal is a better choice.

rsotol028

#19 Post by rsotol028 »

What is workbench?

i need the same but for:
MX-19.2_386.iso

which entries on the grub 2 menu?

i want to boot from mint menu to try live cd and if works, i want to install it from iso disk (it is possible?).
A printer fail started with the creation of the open source and linux, is some of the issues with technology since decades.
2007 Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527, Linux mint 19.3 32-bit. Provide real help of course if you really want to help.

fehlix
Developer

#20 Post by fehlix »

rsotol028 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:28 pm What is workbench?

i need the same but for:
MX-19.2_386.iso

which entries on the grub 2 menu?

i want to boot from mint menu to try live cd and if works, i want to install it from iso disk (it is possible?).
Why do you post nearly 3 identical posts about iso-booting? Just read post #1 of this thread and come back with any detailed question. Workbench: It's a special community respin. Just search the forum, to get an idea what it is about. You can find the ISO in the Community_respin folder, on the download servers.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Return to “Software / Configuration”