Conky Helps and Stuff

male

Re: Conky Helps and Stuff

#191 Post by male »

I don't know if I understand the question...

translations
one byte consists of 8 bits

possible spellings:

Code: Select all

'bps', 'b/s' = bits per second
'Bps', 'B/s' = bytes per second
'k', 'kb', 'kbs', 'kbps', 'kb/s' = kilobits per second
'K', 'KB', 'KBs', 'KBps', 'KB/s' oder 'k', 'kB', 'kBs', 'kBps', 'kB/s' = kilobytes per second
'm', 'mb', 'mbs', 'mbps', 'mb/s' = megabits per second
'M', 'MB', 'MBs', 'MBps', 'MB/s' oder 'm', 'mB', 'mBs', 'mBps', 'mB/s' = megabytes per second
Or to put it another way:
Bit is abbreviated in lower case (b)
Bytes is abbreviated in upper case (B)

...since a byte is known to consist of 8 bits, these are for the housewife to write down: :p

for DSL 6000 = 6000 kbit/s or 750 kB/s

In Conky, the variable
downspeedf
downspeed
upspeedf
upspeed

JmaCWQ

#192 Post by JmaCWQ »

Conky displays by default the wired network transfer speeds as bytes per second with the downspeed & upspeed variables, auto changing the display to KB or MB as speed increases etc..
The upspeedf & downspeedf variables make it display as KB with one decimal place.
I'm wondering if instead of showing bytes per second it can show bits per second.
So instead of displaying 2.00 MB/s it could maybe display 16 Mb/s, for example.

male

#193 Post by male »

Well, in principle it is:
a.jpg
A LAN output (usually eth0) and the corresponding code in the Conky

Inbound: ${goto 90}${downspeedf ens1} kB/s ${alignr 10}${downspeed ens1}

Outbound:${goto 90}${upspeedf ens1} kB/s   ${alignr 10}${upspeed ens1}
A [wireless_bitrate eth0] is not known to me.
Probably no one has done it yet, because the wanted computation of you seems illogical.
I'm not sure, the standard output would have to be written to a file first, then converted into a script and brought back to the desktop with sed for Conky... I'm sure it can be done with LUA.
But I can't do that. :bawling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JmaCWQ

#194 Post by JmaCWQ »

I see the Conky theme MX-KoO/MX-Full shows kb/s beside the Ethernet and Wireless up & down rates, but the Ethernet speed is still being displayed as KB/s.
A typo in the config file I'd say, changing that in any Conky theme makes no difference to how the speeds are shown, as with your example above, it's only what text is to be placed/viewed beside the speed readout & can be anything.
I also believe it could be done with an LUA script, and I also have no idea how to go about that, lol.
Researching this I found a couple of guides on configuring Conky to use LUA's but I don't understand scripting or coding & cannot understand how to make it work without help.

Up until recently I was using the Xfce panel with the network monitor plugin which could be set to display speeds as b/s by checking the "Show values as bits" setting.
Now I use Plank instead & created a very simple Conky theme for time, date, CPU usage, upload and download speeds.
I'm used to seeing the up/down speeds shown as b/s, I hate doing the conversion in my head and would much rather just see at a glance the up/down speeds in b/s.
I did try [wireless_bitrate eth0] and several variations of that while experimenting, but it seems it's only for wireless connections and made no difference with anything I tried.
Thanks for the replies too by the way :toast:

My simple Conky theme if anyone wants it:
My-Conky.png

#My-Conky
# Settings #
background no
update_interval 1
double_buffer yes
no_buffers yes

# Window Specs #
own_window yes
own_window_type dock
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
own_window_title 
own_window_colour 000000
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_argb_visual no
#own_window_argb_value 255
minimum_size 210 161

# Alignment #
alignment bottom_right
gap_x 4
gap_y -45

border_inner_margin 0
border_outer_margin 0

# Graphics #
draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no

# Text #
use_xft yes
xftalpha 0
xftfont Open Sans:size=10

# Colours #
default_color ffffff
color1 ffffff
color2 ffff00
color3 ff7800
color4 00ffff
color5 00ff00
color6 ff0000
color7 000000
color8 ff0064
own_window_argb_value 0

TEXT
${voffset 0}${alignr}${color5}${font UKIJSaet:size=11}In : ${downspeed eth0}
${voffset 0}${alignr}${color2}${font UKIJSaet:size=11}Out : ${upspeed eth0}
${voffset 0}${alignr}${color3}${font UKIJSaet:size=11}CPU : ${cpu cpu0} %
${voffset 0}${offset 24}${font UKIJSaet:size=11}${color4}${time %A}${voffset 0}${alignr}${color8}${font UKIJSaet:size=11}Rm : ${color8}$memperc %
${voffset 0}${alignr}${font UKIJSaet:size=11}${color4}${time %B}  ${time %d},  ${time %Y}
${voffset -3}${alignr}${color1}${font UKIJSaet:size=27}${time %l} : ${time %M} ${time %p}

Without the UKIJSaet font it'll probably default to Open Sans as that was in config file I used to begin with.
Might also have to change 'eth0' to the desired device.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JmaCWQ on Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

oops

#195 Post by oops »

JmaCWQ wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:16 am...
My simple Conky theme if anyone wants it:
Thanks for sharing, the simpler is usually for me often better too.
An alternative for this kind of Conky is also the: xfce4-hardware-monitor-plugin (always visible)
... Basically, no matter the way, it's the end result that counts...
Last edited by oops on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

male

#196 Post by male »

@oops, that's what it was about, nice picture :number1:
JmaCWQ wrote:Up until recently I was using the Xfce panel with the network monitor plugin which could be set to display speeds as b/s by checking the "Show values as bits" setting.
Thanks for the tip. I set this up right away. ;)
The network-monitor-plugin uses both (old and new) standards of conversion.

You look here:
Here is the new standard, but hardly anybody
is using it:

JmaCWQ

#197 Post by JmaCWQ »

oops wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:51 am Thanks for sharing, the simpler is usually for me often better too.
No probs, forgot I wanted the RAM % shown too, updated the previous post with the changes.
oops wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:51 am An alternative for this kind of Conky is also the: xfce4-hardware-monitor-plugin (always visible)
... Basically, no matter the way, it's the end result that counts...
Thanks, that runs only in the Xfce Panel, is that correct?
I'm using Plank as a launcher/panel at present & not sure it can be run with Plank.

JmaCWQ

#198 Post by JmaCWQ »

JmaCWQ wrote:Up until recently I was using the Xfce panel with the network monitor plugin which could be set to display speeds as b/s by checking the "Show values as bits" setting.
male wrote:Thanks for the tip. I set this up right away. ;)
You are welcome.
male wrote:The network-monitor-plugin uses both (old and new) standards of conversion.

You look here:
Here is the new standard, but hardly anybody is using it:
Thanks, I'm familiar with "1 MB = (210)2 Bytes = 1 048 576 B" from the old standard, use it to control how much memory my GPS is allowed for operation & it's caches etc. etc., though unfortunately it doesn't help me get Conky to display wired internet speeds as b/s :grin:

oops

#199 Post by oops »

JmaCWQ wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:30 am...
Thanks, that runs only in the Xfce Panel, is that correct?
I'm using Plank as a launcher/panel at present & not sure it can be run with Plank.
Yes that's correct, but with Plank or Cairo-Dock similar system tools exist.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

male

#200 Post by male »

@JmaCWQ
To be honest, I am not aware of this possibility of displaying a network appled at Plank

But that's what Docky can do, which was originally based on Plank.
Unlike Plank, it requires a compositor.

Maybe you'll look at them. ;)

Return to “Software / Configuration”