Teamviewer 13

2guntom

Teamviewer 13

#1 Post by 2guntom »

I acquired a unique PC - UTC 4100 POS. Since it is Sooooooooo ugly, I thought it might be good for security camera use and remote operation. The cameras I use have software that is only compatible with Windows, so Windows 10 was installed. For remote operation, I installed Teamviewer as always. What I didn't realize is that the Teamviewer official version is now *13*.

MX Package Installer is offering version 12, which is the "stable" version for Linux users.

The bad news is that using MX and Teamviewer 12, you cannot connect to a computer using Teamviewer 13.

The Teamviewer site offers a 13 for Linux 'Preview". https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

I installed it, and it connects to PC's using 12 and 13, thankfully.

Teamviewer for Linux Preview... is that a beta or an RC?

Is Teamviewer still actively developing and supporting their software for Linux users?

- -
gcs

fya

hanl

Pierre

Re: Teamviewer 13

#2 Post by Pierre »

Yep - - this happens to me, all the time.
:frown:
and so, I've had to manually download & upgrade the latest version of TeamViewer . . . again.

just recently - - to TV13 in fact.
:p

2guntom

#3 Post by 2guntom »

2guntom wrote:I acquired a unique PC - UTC 4100 POS. Since it is Sooooooooo ugly, I thought it might be good for security camera use and remote operation. The cameras I use have software that is only compatible with Windows, so Windows 10 was installed. For remote operation, I installed Teamviewer as always. What I didn't realize is that the Teamviewer official version is now *13*.

MX Package Installer is offering version 12, which is the "stable" version for Linux users.

The bad news is that using MX and Teamviewer 12, you cannot connect to a computer using Teamviewer 13.

The Teamviewer site offers a 13 for Linux 'Preview". https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

I installed it, and it connects to PC's using 12 and 13, thankfully.

Teamviewer for Linux Preview... is that a beta or an RC?

Is Teamviewer still actively developing and supporting their software for Linux users?

- -
Ew!!!

Stay away from 13 Beta at the TeamViewer Website!

It (13 Beta) tried to flag me as a commercial user, and there is no recourse because their form page is broken.
And they don't answer Twitter, or Facebook.

I tried leaving a comment and email address in the "reason for deleting" form; we'll see how that goes...

Nothing to encourage me to want to spend $50/mo for the "commercial" version for sure.

- -
gcs

fya

hanl

fehlix
Developer

#4 Post by fehlix »

2guntom wrote: ... Stay away from 13 Beta at the TeamViewer Website!
It (13 Beta) tried to flag me as a commercial user
It has happened to my also after starting TV13beta to support my relatives.
Perhaps it's time for a package request for Anydesk.
I'm using for now AnyDesk made by the main devolopers who left the teamvier company, recently.
For Linux remote support I'm starting with antix-remote tools ssh-conduit-antix and 1-to-1-assistance-antix
both available through MX repo's. I'd need to see how to have them to connect secure-tunneld/vnc to windows-clients so I might replace anydesk.
Dolphin_Oracle made a nice video recently about ssh-conduit-antix. :happy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0up7Cluf4s
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

m_pav
Developer

#5 Post by m_pav »

Teamviewer records your network devices hardware address (MAC Address) and if their servers detect you have made connections to a number of different computers, they deem your usage to be a commercial use case. I don't know how long their servers retain your MAC Address, but they can't hold it forever. What this means is, reinstalling the OS will have no benefit as the MAC address is hard coded into the network card.

I switched to using krdc and having Windows remote desktop configured on the machines I had to access, it worked a charm, though krdc is a KDE app and it wasn't quite as smooth as others I'd tried. This of course required all the remote machines to have a Windows Pro license, but that's a moot point. Krdc pulled in a bunch of KDE dependencies and missed one of the most important dependencies to make it work, (duh) but it was a means to an end. I had to port forward the routers where the machines were and ended up using it to manage my customers machines while I continued running Linux.

If your Windows machine has a pro license, maybe you could do something like I did, it would save you a headache.

However, having said all that, are you absolutly sure the cameras require Windows? there's a bunch of very capable Linux security camera apps available and if you're interested in secure monitoring, wouldn't Linux be a significantly better option?
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

2guntom

#6 Post by 2guntom »

Thanks fehlix! I'll have to check into that. Although I am trying to computers running Windows so... I need to watch the vid. Thanks for the link!
gcs

fya

hanl

2guntom

#7 Post by 2guntom »

m_pav,

I install teamviewer on everything because I am constantly repurposing computers so I probably set off some alarm bells at their hq.

Yes, the software from the company (Logitech) is Windows. I really need to just get a camera system/DVR and be done with it, but that ruins all the fun of taking a piece of junk (computer) and making it do something useful. And, I'm broke, so there's that...

I did try some of the most popular camera software in the opensource world, but couldn't figure it out.

The other machines I have running on TeamViewer are monitoring internet up/downtime, but they are running MX. I'm collecting data to give to Comcast/xfinity...

I noticed MX Package Installer has a new entry "Nomachine" under Remote Access. Never heard of it.
gcs

fya

hanl

m_pav
Developer

#8 Post by m_pav »

No machine used to be the best all round remote desktop system for Linux based machines. That was before they chose to change their product on offer for personal use some 5 years ago. I hated what they did becauseitI compressed the living daylights out of video and made it just pathetic. I gave it a whirl again about a year ago and granted the video was better but I did not persevere with it as it was not high on my priority list anymore. It doesn't help that I live down a very long driveway where an electric fence "leaks" into my phone line and giving me usable but pedestrian internet speeds with daily interruptions.

I believe their commercial offering is still just as good as it ever was, maybe even better, but with advances made in the last few years with open-source offerings, I don't see myself chasing after any commercial packages anymore.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Daily) Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSD, MX_ahs
(ManCave) AMD FX 6100 CPU, nVidia, 8Gb, 3.25TB mixed, MX_ahs
(Spare)2017 Macbook Air 7,2, 8GB, 256GB SSD, MX_ahs

2guntom

#9 Post by 2guntom »

m_pav wrote: It doesn't help that I live down a very long driveway where an electric fence "leaks" into my phone line and giving me usable but pedestrian internet speeds with daily interruptions.
I had a lazy landlord and a fence charger that got into the phone lines when the ground was moist in spring. The problem was a poor ground. I installed three, 3 foot ground rods, 6 feet apart, attached in series. Solved the "leak" problem and made the fence much "hotter" than my landlord cared for, but my internet was solid.

NoMachine looked promising on the onset - installed and the computers "found" each other almost immediately. But to connect for remote control, it asked for a password... I'll have to find and read the owner's manual
gcs

fya

hanl

mithrandir

#10 Post by mithrandir »

Hi,
I have the same problem, I have to access a remote pc that has installed Teamviewer 13, and i can't access with our Teamviewer 12 on Mx Linux.
Isn't possible update our Mx Linux repo to install the 13 release of Teamviewer?

Return to “Software / Configuration”