-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Screensavers questions

Vincent17
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Screensavers questions

#1 Post by Vincent17 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:34 pm

In the process of trying to prevent screen blanking during movie playback, I encountered seemingly overlapping screen/power saver utilities:
  • xset
    xscreensaver
    xdg-screensaver
    Settings Manager/Screensaver = xscreensaver-demo, a gui for xscreensaver
    xfce4-power-manager
Could someone explain the role of each? In particular,
Is xfce4-power-manager just a gui for xset?
Is presentation mode the same as "xset s off -dpms"?
Thanks.

P.S. The solution to my problem was to issue "xset s off -dpms" and shut off the xdg-screensaver, as described in the README here. By itself, presentation mode did not prevent blanking. MX-17 full install, using Firefox to play movie.

Vincent17
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Screensavers questions

#2 Post by Vincent17 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Further information
1) https://superuser.com/questions/644804/ ... mmand-line

Code: Select all

$ xset s off
$ xset s noblank
$ xset -dpms
Claimed to prevent blanking, but xdg-screensaver is not disabled and my system still blanks during movie.

2) In 2013, wirawan wrote about xfce4-power saver
1) xfce4 screen locking: it uses whatever software is available: xflock4, gnome screensaver, xscreensaver, ...
2) display suspend/off: it uses dpms (src/xfpm-dpms.c) -- so it basically serves as a GUI/automatic adjuster of X DPMS settings.
... xfce power manager itself does not have the ability to do all these in itself; it relies on existing infrastructure.
3) Stackoverflow post entitled "is there a decent way to inhibit screensavers in linux" mentions a script using dbus-send, but that's too advanced for me.

4) Disable xdg-screensaver globally https://stackoverflow.com/questions/108 ... ith-python

$ w=`xwininfo -root | awk '/(the root window)/{print $4}'`
$ xdg-screensaver suspend $w
$ xdg-screensaver status
disabled
:happy:

I'd appreciate further information about xdg-screensaver, such as why we need it, where it is initiated, if is it possible to change the timeout.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Jerry3904 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:09 pm

I'd appreciate further information about xdg-screensaver, such as why we need it, where it is initiated, if is it possible to change the timeout.
From the horse's mouth: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-utils/ (perhaps identical to the man page we see).

These utilities are part of Xfce itself, and are nothing that we touch AFAIK, so the Xfce Forum might be a much better place to appreciate further information. Even there I only see 5 hits for a search on that term.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Vincent17
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#4 Post by Vincent17 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Jerry3904, thanks for the reply. Yes, that's just the man page. I'll post my questions on the xfce forum.

EDIT so as not to bump [corrected]
I'll just sum up in case it's useful to others with the problem of screen blanking during video playback:

:devil: El malo de la película has been xscreensaver all along. xfce4-power-manager presentation mode or "xset s off -dpms" disables blanking as set in power manager, but not xscreensaver. To prevent blanking, xscreensaver must be disabled through the gui (Settings/Screen Saver/Mode) or command line. (xdg-screensaver is also thereby disabled.)
I still wonder why we have so many screen savers; at least I have a simpler solution :smile:

xset s off -dpms
xscreensaver-command -exit
An alternative is caffeine from the repo.

-------------------

Edit 3/22
:exclamation: Presentation mode in xfce4-power-manager-1.6.1 disables dpms and xscreensaver, i.e. it now works as intended :)
Thanks to ToZ on xfce forum for this.

Return to “Software / Configuration”