[SOLVED] MX-17: Can't install showfoto - dependencies' problem

MX-16_fan

Re: MX-17: Can't install showfoto - dependencies' problem

#11 Post by MX-16_fan »

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:Showfoto is part of the Digikam set of packages, so you should be trying to install the test repo version to match the test repo Digikam.
1) You mean I can't install showfoto without installing digikam?

2) Can't install the Test Repo digikam either because that also gives me warning. Can you reproduce that?

Greetings, Joe

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

No, I just installed showfoto, digikam, and okular from the test repo without a hitch. Showfoto doesn't need digikam itself, but it uses some packages and libraries that come from the same build, such as kipi-plugins. I can see you already have those installed, which is why you can't install the stock Stretch version with

Code: Select all

apt install showfoto
with the test repo disabled.

MX-16_fan

#13 Post by MX-16_fan »

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:No, I just installed showfoto, digikam, and okular from the test repo without a hitch. Showfoto doesn't need digikam itself, but it uses some packages and libraries that come from the same build, such as kipi-plugins. I can see you already have those installed, which is why you can't install the stock Stretch version with

apt install showfoto
with the test repo disabled.
Sorry, I don't get what you mean. I always tried to install everything from the MX Test Repo.

What can I do to debug this?

Greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan

#14 Post by MX-16_fan »

@Stevo:

UPDATE:
Just discovered that Synaptic provides some interesting "properties" information for each package, and there Synaptic precisely tells me that kipi-plugins-common as would be needed for showfoto is "damaged".

Greetings, Joe

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

MX-16_fan wrote:@Stevo:

UPDATE:
Just discovered that Synaptic provides some interesting "properties" information for each package, and there Synaptic precisely tells me that kipi-plugins-common as would be needed for showfoto is "damaged".

Greetings, Joe
Hmmm...I believe in English it calls that a broken package...the result of

apt policy kipi-plugins-commons
?

Stevo
Developer

#16 Post by Stevo »

OK, I found the problem. Digikam (thus kipi-plugins) depends on a library from Marble that's specific to the version, so the stock Stretch version of that is libmarblewidget-qt5-25, but the version in the test repo is libmarblewidget-qt5-28. So basically, you currently can't have both the test repo Marble and Digikam installed at the same time. This was a decision I made when I built them each in isolated "vanilla" Stretch pbuilders, but I can also rebuild Digikam against the test repo Marble. That will just force users to also upgrade Marble at the same time, which I was trying to stay away from, but I think that is appropriate in this one case.

Using pbuilder is pretty neat, I can hook and unhook any repos to it at will in about 30 seconds, including one in a folder on my machine, so in this case I'll just hook the test repo to Stretch so it builds against the newer Marble. VLC 3.0.1 also needs a couple libraries in our test repo, so I was going to do that anyway for that build.

Edit: BTW, the way to track down an issue like this with something like kipi-plugins-common is to try and install it on the command line. If it says it can't install because of a problem with some other package, then you try and install that other package on the CLI. Repeat the procedure until you get down to the package that is causing the root issue.

MX-16_fan

#17 Post by MX-16_fan »

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:(...) ...the result of

apt policy kipi-plugins-commons
?

$ apt policy kipi-plugins-commons
N: Unable to locate package kipi-plugins-commons
(with kipi-plugins-common not installed right now.)

Greetings, Joe

MX-16_fan

#18 Post by MX-16_fan »

@Stevo:
Stevo wrote:OK, I found the problem.
Cool!
Stevo wrote:Digikam (thus kipi-plugins) depends on a library from Marble that's specific to the version, so the stock Stretch version of that is libmarblewidget-qt5-25, but the version in the test repo is libmarblewidget-qt5-28. So basically, you currently can't have both the test repo Marble and Digikam installed at the same time. This was a decision I made when I built them each in isolated "vanilla" Stretch pbuilders, but I can also rebuild Digikam against the test repo Marble. That will just force users to also upgrade Marble at the same time, which I was trying to stay away from, but I think that is appropriate in this one case.
Trying to understand that. Why can't different libmarblewidget-qt5 versions simply coexist on one system?
Stevo wrote:Edit: BTW, the way to track down an issue like this with something like kipi-plugins-common is to try and install it on the command line. If it says it can't install because of a problem with sofor youme other package, then you try and install that other package on the CLI. Repeat the procedure until you get down to the package that is causing the root issue.
I understand. Thanks for the hint.

1) So I'll uninstall Marble and install both the new showfoto and the new Marble from the MX Test Repo tomorrow. Correct?

2) As far as I remember, installing showfoto does not necessarily require installing digikam. Has digikam now become a showfoto dependency?

Greetings, wishing you a nice weekend, Joe

MX-16_fan

#19 Post by MX-16_fan »

@Stevo:

UPDATE: Your new showfoto 4:5.7.0-1mx17+3 installed o.k. (same goes for the new Marble), but it doesn't start:

$ showfoto -qwindowtitle %c %U

(showfoto:4828): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type 'GtkWidget'

(showfoto:4828): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(showfoto:4828): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type 'GtkBuildable'

(showfoto:4828): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_interface_add_prerequisite: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INTERFACE (interface_type)' failed

(showfoto:4828): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(showfoto:4828): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed

(showfoto:4828): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_register_static: assertion 'parent_type > 0' failed
Some problem with the graphics library?

Greetings, Joe

Stevo
Developer

#20 Post by Stevo »

Since Showfoto is part of the Digikam project, it only makes sense that it uses some of the Digikam runtime framework. It does not require Digikam itself.

It runs OK on my working system, but I have my Qt apps decoupled from the GTK themes and use the Kvantum Qt themes instead. Like all KDE apps, it uses the Qt framework. I don't get any of those glib errors at all, but I'll have to test this on a generic install.

Return to “Software / Configuration”