Turboprint Daemon Fails to Start - Workaround Solution

Here is where you can post tips and tricks to share with other users of MX. Do not ask for help in this Forum.
RobbieW

Turboprint Daemon Fails to Start - Workaround Solution

#1 Post by RobbieW »

I'm posting this workaround in case it helps other Turboprint Users on MX-17 (Turboprint is proprietary software not available through the repos but can be installed from a .deb file). On installation, I found that although the software would print perfectly, the Print Monitor, which displays printing progress and printer ink levels, did not work. The message 'ERROR: No connection with the TurboPrint Daemon' was displayed on the Monitor. Further investigation showed that the daemon was not autostarting, even though the installation included an Autostart item for the Monitor. As a workaround for the problem, I added a new Autostart item in Settings>Session and Startup:

Name: 'Start Turboprint Daemon'

Command:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/tprintdaemon 3
Reboot and voila! the Monitor works fine.

I'm sure there are more elegant ways of sorting this problem out - if anyone out there would like to chip in a better way, please feel free! :number1:
Small business, powered by Linux.
A user, not a coder, demonstrating that a small amount of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Turboprint Daemon Fails to Start - Workaround Solution

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

Many thanks for posting this; I'm sure it will be a help to others.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

RobbieW

#3 Post by RobbieW »

Thanks Chris. This issue was one that put me off an earlier version of the distro, as I couldn't solve it then. It was easier then to go with another distro which did work for Turboprint 'out of the box', but MX-17 is so good it would be a shame if that happened to anyone else!
A user, not a coder, demonstrating that a small amount of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

David P

#4 Post by David P »

I would like to add my thanks also for this post. It saved me a lot of time trying to find a solution. :happy:

RobbieW

#5 Post by RobbieW »

I've only just seen this David - I'm very glad it helped! Cheers!

Return to “Tips & Tricks by users”