-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Is there RESET Option within MX Linux

vamsi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Is there RESET Option within MX Linux

#1 Post by vamsi » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:36 am

hmm i usually mes sup with MX lInux by installing software's and Kernels and Different De's is there option in MX Linux to RESET the system to back when it was installed i think it is there for windows inbuilt it is also possible to reset in ubuntu then is it possible in MX Linux
While resetting it is possible to leave home directory without changes
Thanks..

Pierre

Re: Is there RESET Option within MX Linux

#2 Post by Pierre » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 am

NO - - not as such
:frown:

what some folks do, is to make a back-up or image of the current working state of their machine,
& restore from that, generally in a fairly short time, too.

some of these methods include, back-in-time,, lucky-backup,, ddresue,
amongst others.

all you can do at the moment, is to complete a Full Re-installation, of the whole MX system.
:bawling:
and put this one, down to experience.
:p

bwich12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by bwich12 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:01 am

As far as testing a new software package is concerned I do that with a Live system plus ample root persistence. The root persistence file can be backed up and copied back as often as you want so long as you work within the same snapshot (or, if you use dynamic root persistence, you can also simply disallow starting the rsync process at system shutdown so any changes are never written back). Warning: taking a new snapshot will invalidate all "old" persistence files!

As to swapping kernels etc, why not create a baseline system as you see fit and then simply clone the system partition? I am not up to speed as to the preferred HD cloning app for Linux, I have only used CloneZilla but I am sure others know more.

With a fast SSD, cloning and restoring is a matter of minutes,

balarm
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by balarm » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:17 am

You could try "timeshift", it backup-restore your system very quickly.
mx1 Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: MX-17.1_x64 Horizon December 15, 2017
Machine: Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 1951A47 v: ThinkPad T60

vamsi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by vamsi » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:17 pm

What about this toll will it work with MX Linux https://github.com/gaining/Resetter ?

I have seen this artice http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/10/how- ... to-default but it is for ubuntu will this command work with MX Linux also ?

Thanks..

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by skidoo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:26 am

vamsi, you would be well-served by periodically using the MX-snapshot tool to create a backup iso,
before experimenting ~~ while the system is in known-good working order.

Not "resetter", but a quite similar 'buntu -ish utility named "aptik" was recently added to MX testing repo
(search MXforum and you'll see where it has been discussed)

Have you, in another distro, actually used "resetter"?
If not, have you carefully read about its features? https://github.com/gaining/Resetter#options-comparison
Asking b/c IIRC, it doesn't exactly do "While resetting it is possible to leave home directory without changes".
It's a good project, but is still wet behind the ears (and perhaps is still feature-incomplete compared to your expectations)

antiX-Dave
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#7 Post by antiX-Dave » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:19 pm

I find the best is to keep a data/home partition and a root system partition. Then take snapshots of the system frequently putting them on a backup USB with a rsync backup of my data/home. When the system goes bad I load it off the USB and install preserving home. If my home/data partition is bad I rsync it from the backup drive. A restore of the system is normally 10-15 minutes. If I include the home/data it is 10-15 minutes + rsync time depending on the amount of data.

As making an iso takes a bit, I actually modified the program to disabled making an iso. Now it just copies to the USB and installs extlinux to avoid the make iso->make live usb steps which made the backup and restore times twice as long.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by Stevo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:03 pm

Some people (such as bester69 on the Debian forums) also rave about the snapshotting feature of the btrfs file system, but I'm not familiar with it. It might be what you're looking for.

Adrian
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by Adrian » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Stevo wrote:Some people (such as bester69 on the Debian forums) also rave about the snapshotting feature of the btrfs file system, but I'm not familiar with it. It might be what you're looking for.
It's pretty cool from the rollback point of view (not for backups -- if the disk or files system is screwed a snapshot won't help you). It's pretty much instantaneously and it doesn't take space at the moment (only differences are written on the disk).

Compared to other distros that have this set up by default (SuSE I think does that -- used to do that long time when I tried it) you need to set it up manually and also remember to do snapshots at strategic moments.

skidoo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by skidoo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:59 pm

antiX-Dave wrote:As making an iso takes a bit, I actually modified the program to disabled making an iso.
Yes! I've wished the snapshot workflow would include ability to choose
"just rsync, targeting work_dir"
-or-
"create an ISO"

but haven't previously posted as a suggestion b/c the additional step, and the choice, arguably invites user confusion.
I've envisioned placement of an "perform rsync only" tickbox on this screen, perhaps at right (opposite "Edit Exclusion File").
If ticked, it would branch (avoiding the "Final chance" prompt) when the "Next" button is clicked.

Return to “Software / Configuration”